The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
andros88

Ashwagandha powder sourced from Australia

Hi everyone - I'm on the lookout for some ashwagandha dried root/powder grown locally in Australia. Most powders available online don't advise their source or are sourced from India. 

I've received some seeds from a very generous person on this forum, however, it'll take a decent while for them to grow to harvestable size. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by andros88

pointers:

-never buy powder, always whole bits of root then grind yourself.

-sow your seeds anyway, whilst still looking for root sources. 

-contact https://theherbalist.worldsecuresystems.com/index , he grows his own, but may be reluctant to part with any non tinctured root.

-if all else fails, why not whole root peices from India? Its the home of Ashwagandha after all.

• Like 1

Thanks LokStok - I'll contact the herbalist and see if they can sell me any root pieces.

As to why not source them from India, pesticides frequently used in their agriculture are banned in most countries. The run-off seeps into the ground, may contaminate roots & there's recently been a spate of reports of farmers dying from pesticide poisoning (possibly from drinking well water no doubt). I'm fortunate enough to live in Australia where agricultural practices are substantially if not marginally better and would rather support my local economy instead :) 

How much are you after?

These are the bits I left when I was making my own root as I didn't know how to get in and clean them totally free of soil well but if you are up for that process you can have them, if you want to experiment with it?

Also got a BIG bag of Californian Poppy if that's by chance of use to you

47393393_IMG_20190525_1836431.thumb.jpg.e20e7db605949fb1a868f690393a67df.jpg

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1