The Corroboree
waterboy 2.0

Mimosa pudica feeding

Did a quick search, couldnt find anything relevant. 

I started off a couple of pots of M. pudica to rotate through my lads classroom so he and the other munchkins had something to get them thinking about plants in a different way:wink:

The light levels are low in the classroom location , so rotation is working well and... Lol.. Can give them a rest from the kids and lol adults provoking a response from the plants. 

They are doing well... But I reckon I could push them harder:lol:. They are in a fairly rich potting mix. 

Question... Anyone got any experience with how much of a feeding they can take? Are they prone to burn? 

Probably an experiment I should get too, but currently want to avoid ending the plants whilst they have enquiring minds engaged. 

Edit - my gut feel is they'd respond, however Temps are dropping and is probably the limiting factor

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

cool that you've got em growing way down there... They're a weed up here in the tropics.... spikey suckers, just annoying enough to warrant shoes... sometimes... I've never tried to feed them, more inclined to pull em out... if you ever need more seeds let me know... 

• Like 1

Yep they won't run off here.. Well until the averages warm up a bit:P not much I can't grow if I set my mind to it... Lol

I've had them growing in some pretty poor potting mixes before and they do OK during the warmer times, outdoor here at least ends them. 

Wasn't sure if anyone that has put them in pots pampered them. The seed certainly holds its viability, I threw down some ancient seed and had most if not all take. 

I reckon I might just bump them to the along under supplementary lighting when I rotate them out to recover after I make a bit of room to work with. 

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

I’m not sure that they’re perennial... I haven’t watched them, but I think they die back every winter and reseed in spring...

• Like 1

I presumed they were perennial.... And the cold and.. Lol.. Previously neglect ended them. 

The red headed stepson of encyclopedias tells me annual in temperate, potentially up  a 2 year perennial in tropics. 

Learnt something new:wink:

And that might change my tactics. 

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 1

A little experiment to try.

If you have multiple Mimosa pudica and zap just one of them with the piezo electric component of a lighter, it sends out a group signal and causes a defensive response in all of the other surrounding plants.

This plant is very interesting. One thing I was surprised to learn was the anti-parasitic qualities of consuming the seeds. This plant is basically the terminator of parasites in the human body.

Edited by Infinity
  • Like 3

On 08/06/2019 at 10:03 PM, Infinity said:

A little experiment to try.

If you have multiple Mimosa pudica and zap just one of them with the piezo electric component of a lighter, it sends out a group signal and causes a defensive response in all of the other surrounding plants.

This plant is very interesting. One thing I was surprised to learn was the anti-parasitic qualities of consuming the seeds. This plant is basically the terminator of parasites in the human body.

any info links for the anti-parasitic? Its time for me to do another flush, but haven't gotten around to doing pure turpentine (pine) oil again yet...

@Infinity how do you prepare it for use? is it seeds, leaf...? how is it ingested...?

Hi MG,

You can use the whole plant however if you specifically want anti parasitic effect use the ground up seeds only and place them into size 00 capsules. 2 capsules before bed on an empty stomach and a whole glass of water for a minimum of 7 days will have you pooping out all sorts of weird shit...literally. It disables the ability of the parasite to cling on and coats it in mucus and then makes its way towards your back door for expulsion. 2000mg/kg in rat experiments showed no toxicity. It’s fairly friendly to your body and bowels. 

Here is a good video demonstrating the seeds mixed with water so you can imagine what’s going on when you ingest it.

The scientific literature varies widely as to dose and length of administration so please conduct your own research to determine what’s best for you and your body. Be cautious of info from anyone claiming to be a doctor (as in the video above) and peddling their own Mimosa Pudica capsules for sale. I’m sure you already know that making your own medicine is best. 

Let me me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Have a great week.

Love & Light

• Like 1

If you are harvesting fresh seeds, I’d love some. Happy to swing you something in return.