Jump to content
The Corroboree

Recommended Posts

I acquired a few specimens recently and a few of them had some scarring, then the scarring started turning yellow and spotting all over them.

 

There's a pic there of one where the scarring looks like when I got them, and the first yellow spot popping up.

 

What is it? How do I help them?

 

 

IMG_20190511_111738827_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190511_111747671.jpg

IMG_20190511_111817686_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190511_111910269.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My peruvianus had the same issue (yellow spotting) when I first received it. The spots kept multiplying until I cut them off.

 

The new growth is healthy and doesn't have this issue. Still don't know what the yellow spots were tho - maybe some type of scale?

IMG_1581.thumb.JPG.9493022f3df71a01b68516fcff22a280.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The original plant suffers from scale, which then again causes substantial scarring. Look into pesticides against Scale, e.g. Azamax or something similar. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second plant has scale too. Same treatment, Neem, Azamax, Spinosad etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2019 at 5:23 PM, Evil Genius said:

The original plant suffers from scale, which then again causes substantial scarring. Look into pesticides against Scale, e.g. Azamax or something similar. 

Could of been scale but the problem is a fungal issue,  You need to treat with a good fungicide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the spirit of growing cactus I decided to do just keep them dry. As the weather cooled and the air dried whatever it was has died off.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2019 at 7:46 PM, motherfirefly said:

Could of been scale but the problem is a fungal issue,  You need to treat with a good fungicide. 

I agree. There is a fungal issue and just keeping it dry won't fix it. Get some phosacid on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/05/2019 at 12:21 PM, andros88 said:

My peruvianus had the same issue (yellow spotting) when I first received it. The spots kept multiplying until I cut them off.

 

The new growth is healthy and doesn't have this issue. Still don't know what the yellow spots were tho - maybe some type of scale?

IMG_1581.thumb.JPG.9493022f3df71a01b68516fcff22a280.JPG

 

Not scale imo.

I'd do the same, get some phosacid. You can get it from most garden centres or the big green shed as "Yates anti-rot".

Phosacid is a systemic fungicide but not a toxic one, it's quite safe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Glaukus! It's going on my list for my next trip to Bunnings :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×