The Corroboree
hypnotoad

Does mold always effect seed embryo?

Ive got a few different Tabernaemontana seeds, is the penicillium (I think) growing on them likely to damage the embryo or is It after the leftover flesh on the outside of the seed?

Any recommended remedies?

IMG_6897.PNG

IMG_6897.thumb.PNG.49a5c54c94690ec77b924a2c73f881b8.PNG

IMG_6897.thumb.PNG.49a5c54c94690ec77b924a2c73f881b8.PNG

• Like 1

my 2

plant the strongest out right away,

your chances are slim.

On 26/03/2019 at 9:11 AM, gunfighter said:

Ive got a few different Tabernaemontana seeds, is the penicillium (I think) growing on them likely to damage the embryo or is It after the leftover flesh on the outside of the seed?

Any recommended remedies?

IMG_6897.PNG

IME sometimes fungus can be beneficial to germination, helping break the seed coat and possibly offering useful metabolites to assist the process.

It's a matter of balance. What you have there is probably a Trichoderma spp on the seed coat, attracted to the remnant of the horrible stuff that surrounds the seed while it's in the pod. Too much of it there? No idea. Trichoderma is pretty universal, and it's fucking awesome mostly.

There are surface treatments you can apply to half the group, or just remove the excess with a soft cloth from half the seeds, but otherwise WC is right, sow em straight away under optimal conditions.

Some species actually require fungus to germinate, and these can be a right bastard in completely sterile conditions

• Like 2