The Corroboree
Spiky Mc Cactus Face

Just out of curiosity, would you rather?

For shits an giggles out of interest,

Would you rather live life as one big happy lie or a series of sad truth?

They say ignorance is bliss. Lol.

I think I still prefer to live with the truth, as shit as it is. 

• Like 1

I have been known to look at an unintelligent labrador with envy. They're always happy.

I've thought about this a lot and I always decide knowledge. It's a burden though as the oppression from governing bodies that remain ignorant on the issues discussed certainly have a negative impact on my wellbeing. I'm attempting to convert it into a motivational drive but some days it's just easier to say "fuck it, I'm going walkabout".

I'm lucky though and get to work with some amazing scientists who share their results with me. It's always so humbling and feels very significant to be one of the first people to understand some tiny bit of the way the world works. For me this is an extremely rewarding experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Freakosystem said:

I have been known to look at an unintelligent labrador with envy. They're always happy.

I know this feeling well, i think any person of knowledge or the ability to see can agree its as much of a curse as it is a gift. 

Guess the same can be said for ignorance

Edited by Spiky Mc Cactus Face
My retarted gramma lol

@Spiky Mc Cactus Face When you say living life as 'one big happy lie' are you talking about deliberately deceiving people in order to appear more desirable, or are referring to avoiding knowledge in an attempt to ignore the hard truth's of reality? Because i consider it ethical to deceive people who do not behave rationally. But I consider intentionally living a life of ignorance as anything but blissful; not only does knowledge help one manage the many challenges encountered throughout life, it also allows us to understand the dichotomy of control. Which further enables us to calmly accept the things that we are powerless to change.

Edited by EightySeven
  • Like 2

A life lived in ignorance may feel happy but it's a living death and it's only with perspective that comes from knowing both bad and good can you truly find peace and happiness.  Butters sums it up pretty well.

So yeah there's no question in my mind, I'll always pick a sad truth over ignoring reality because as balance exists in every equation so too is there a positive to be found which you can choose to focus on.

7 hours ago, Ethnoob said:

A life lived in ignorance may feel happy but it's a living death and it's only with perspective that comes from knowing both bad and good can you truly find peace and happiness.

I dare to disagree.

Experience and belief really is reality. If you are comparatively unintelligent and you have found balance and happiness, you have actually found these things. There is no higher point of happiness that comes with knowing more. Perspective is completely subjective. It's a paradigm. Quite literally.

It's the most intelligent among our species who are prone to depression and drug addiction, who think that the people who don't understand what we do can never truly understand what happens around us. But that's an egotistical untruth. Sometimes we are so mislead by our apparent knowledge that our naivety trumps us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northerner said:

I dare to disagree.

Experience and belief really is reality. If you are comparatively unintelligent and you have found balance and happiness, you have actually found these things. There is no higher point of happiness that comes with knowing more. Perspective is completely subjective. It's a paradigm. Quite literally.

It's the most intelligent among our species who are prone to depression and drug addiction, who think that the people who don't understand what we do can never truly understand what happens around us. But that's an egotistical untruth. Sometimes we are so mislead by our apparent knowledge that our naivety trumps us.

I see your point of view and understand that a fool can seemingly die happier than a genius in most cases, but is a fool's happiness legitimate?  They may feel as though it is but if they've spent their life avoiding learning of sadness their apparently joyful existence pails in comparison to someone who's had a miserable life yet chooses to look on the bright side of things due to the perspective they've attained through experience.  Take something as basic as hunger for example.  Someone who avoids the sensation due to the negative feeling it gives the body will take food for granted and barely taste it as they stuff their mouths day in and day out but someone who's gone without food for a few days will almost cry tears of joy as they bite into something as basic as an apple and fully experience the taste, the texture and the cessation of their suffering.  So who's really happier? The glutton who avoids the negative feeling and is thus happy in their own mind or the person who suffered through a prolonged period of hunger and gained some perspective?

• Like 2

Yes a fools happiness is genuine as is a dogs. Happiness is an experience from a perspective, it's not tangible or transferable. The happiness you and I might find from growing plants and eating them for their properties would be a boring nothingness to many, as their happiness building model aeroplanes or attending dwarf tossing competitions might be equally pointless for us. Just like looking deep into the psychedelic pool of endless questions might feel like it brings us stability and self understanding, but for many people that is hell on earth.

Avoidance of suffering and imposed delayed gratification aren't really models for happiness either.

A person who understands less is far less likely to experience cognitive dissonance and other internal conflicts than a person who understands more. There's a threshold though. When someone reaches a certain level of rationale it allows them to understand that there is much more they don't understand, then they are just as likely to suffer for their inability if they believe they are missing out on some truth. The actual truth though is that not many of us really understand much at all. This doesn't stop the illusion from  propagating in our minds though.

Understanding that I know stuff all and being conflicted is far worse imho than just knowing stuff all and being happy with that. Just give me the happiness.

• Like 2

Lots of good philosophy going on hear.

I im starting to feel that reaility is somewhere caught between the two sides. Fool or intellectual both are capable of happiness and truth. 

Im only just getting my head back from a journey last night so mind is still processing the goings. Will have to come back and make an intelligent later on :lol:

On 30/01/2019 at 7:17 PM, Spiky Mc Cactus Face said:

For shits an giggles out of interest,

Would you rather live life as one big happy lie or a series of sad truth?

The latter. Of course I try to avoid pain, but at the end of the day I don’t see the point of living a big happy lie.. I also can’t avoid the truth for long because my anxiety eventually gets really bad eg. I had to leave my marriage because things were very wrong. Whether those things were his fault or mine (most likely a combination) is hard to say, but my anxiety is like this mechanism which pretty much forces me out of toxic situations.

I think this is a good representation of “happy lie” vs “sad truth”. People argue about whether Fight Club is Nihilistic or Existentialist. I say Existentialist.. Similar to Nietzsche, who I’d say was very existentialist

You must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame;

how could you rise anew if you have not first become ashes?

7 hours ago, ZefSide95 said:

The latter. Of course I try to avoid pain, but at the end of the day I don’t see the point of living a big happy lie.. I also can’t avoid the truth for long because my anxiety eventually gets really bad eg. I had to leave my marriage because things were very wrong. Whether those things were his fault or mine (most likely a combination) is hard to say, but my anxiety is like this mechanism which pretty much forces me out of toxic situations.

I think this is a good representation of “happy lie” vs “sad truth”. People argue about whether Fight Club is Nihilistic or Existentialist. I say Existentialist.. Similar to Nietzsche, who I’d say was very existentialist

You must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame;

how could you rise anew if you have not first become ashes?

Im sorry to hear about marriage. I hope things improve for you both..i doubt it was either of your faults, it more so reflects on a insecure society if you look at the bigger picture. ..not happing to just you. 

I feel things like anxiety, depression ext are primitive survival functions if you get me. Back in cave man days if you were feeling depressed it was probably due to poor conditions no food ect it was motivation to change the situation,same with anxiety back in neanderthal days it probably due to a dangerous unstable environment it was motivation to get the fuck out of there.

Now days we get locked into life situations the fears that trigger these feelings have change were now in a position were you cant escape 

The reason behind my original question was to try understand what gose on in proples minds, ill try to explain it better.

Sometimes i cross paths  with people, seems like they got there shit together job house car kids ect but they dont know why they feel miserable. I explain to them the bigger picture on whats going on how essentialy there slaves to system there not free, there basically caught up in the lie that this road to happyness. 

Then i get hit with with irrational anger.

Wich in turn makes me feel why bother trying to explain it to them, to me knowing sad truths opens choices on if you wanna play that game or walk that path or go naaa fuck that i dont want any part of that an then walk your direction. Im not out to ruin people's lifes but fuck if they ask me my thoughts im gonna tell them. Im wanna give them choices not piss em off

But i guess its part of the parcel 

7 hours ago, Spiky Mc Cactus Face said:

Im sorry to hear about marriage. I hope things improve for you both..i doubt it was either of your faults, it more so reflects on a insecure society if you look at the bigger picture. ..not happing to just you. 

I feel things like anxiety, depression ext are primitive survival functions if you get me. Back in cave man days if you were feeling depressed it was probably due to poor conditions no food ect it was motivation to change the situation,same with anxiety back in neanderthal days it probably due to a dangerous unstable environment it was motivation to get the fuck out of there.

Now days we get locked into life situations the fears that trigger these feelings have change were now in a position were you cant escape 

The reason behind my original question was to try understand what gose on in proples minds, ill try to explain it better.

Sometimes i cross paths  with people, seems like they got there shit together job house car kids ect but they dont know why they feel miserable. I explain to them the bigger picture on whats going on how essentialy there slaves to system there not free, there basically caught up in the lie that this road to happyness. 

Then i get hit with with irrational anger.

Wich in turn makes me feel why bother trying to explain it to them, to me knowing sad truths opens choices on if you wanna play that game or walk that path or go naaa fuck that i dont want any part of that an then walk your direction. Im not out to ruin people's lifes but fuck if they ask me my thoughts im gonna tell them. Im wanna give them choices not piss em off

But i guess its part of the parcel 

Oh the marriage thing was 15 years ago, but thanks.

Carl Jung said pretty much what you said :)

Anger is one of the various primal emotions our culture represses. The movie Once Were Warriors is good in showing that..

(Very violent if you haven’t seen it)

Lol yeah no worries 

Nice to see others familiar with some of carls work, i didnt know about his work on anxitety disorders tho but must say he hit the personality groups right on the head.

Its a pretty full on movie. Seen it a couple of times 

18 hours ago, Spiky Mc Cactus Face said:

Lol yeah no worries 

Nice to see others familiar with some of carls work, i didnt know about his work on anxitety disorders tho but must say he hit the personality groups right on the head.

Its a pretty full on movie. Seen it a couple of times 

Carl Jung is the man. I think it’s a disaster he isn’t taken more seriously. I mean things like the archetype of The Wounded Healer (Chiron the Centaur).. So badly needed but Jung is generally dismissed as a mystic.

• Like 1

Definitely sad he isnt taken very seriously, his studies definitely help me out a fair bit, just in understanding my personality  (INFJ). Turns out i fall into the rarest trates to have. I belong to small group of like minded people. Spent years of my life trying to work out if i was slightly nuts or if the world is entirely fucking bonkers ....turns out the world is just fucking bonkers lol.

What a rather delightful forum this is :)

I would deffo go with the 'series of sad truths' because that implies that there is the possibility of space in-between for bouts of joy and happy truths. which is splitting hairs, but I'd go with it :)

Plus, knowing what the truth is allows you to intuit a pattern of what reality is made up of, and I have this stupid, imposssibly romantic, idea that reality is ultimately beautiful.

1 hour ago, HillLily said:

I have this stupid, imposssibly romantic, idea that reality is ultimately beautiful.

Likewise @HillLily, im not sure why sometimes i feel Ive been fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of something innately positive.  Believing in nothing didnt do me much good thats for sure.

I havent given up on the notion that the world has the potential to be a better place.  And that i could play a role ( or at least be a link in the chain) in that better world.  For that reason i see ignorance as a barrier and try to embrace hard truths, though not always without some difficulty letting go.

Peace

Hi @Humbolt Neil Young has just appeared on my TV as I write this, quoting Aldous Huxley saying that if the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear as it ís, ínfinite.

i like it when those types of things happen :)It feels like Life is talking back to me when that happens.

I haven't given up on that notion either, that the world can be better than this. Some days when the depression is like a fog it is impossible to believe, but it seems to always come back to being the default position. I quite like the Hindu idea that time runs in giant cycles, and that we are in the giant motherfuckery one before the circle turns and we see renewal. Sheesh, wouldn't that be something.

Edited by HillLily
typo
  • Like 1