The Corroboree
FancyPants

Neural regeration “formula” crock or potential?

So apparently a medical researcher at a children’s hospital discovered a three way formula for regenerating neural pathways. They weren’t allowed to use herbs, so a company has piggybacked this research and found alternative herbs. What do we reckon, source own ingredients?

From this website

Let us review each of these factors or ingredients:
1.cyclic AMP -  this is a factor that is present during  growth of many cells and tissues.  The  increased cyclic AMP in many cells causes these cells to expand and take in more liquid or plasma  and nutrients and is a sign of growth and changes.    Dr. Benowitz used Forskolin to achieve these in nerve cells.
2.The second factor is oncomodulin – which is produced by some blood cells under certain stimulation and inflammation.
3.The 3rd factor is PTEN deletion-    PTEN is a gene so PTEN deletion refers to silencing the gene or inactivating/removing the effects of this gene.

Picture

Above is diagram of the Neuron (nerve cell)

To create the same effects as the 3 factors above:
1. Forskolin is the active ingredient from the herb Coleus forskolii – this is easily obtained and available
2. Oncomodulin   -    our Research team has gone farther & deeper into research and manuscripts by Dr. L. Benowitz,   he reveals that there are a few substances that can act like & substitute for oncomodlin   -   there are several but the 2 most active of these are Guanosine and Inosine.   In other papers, Dr. Benowitz states that Guanosine actually breaks down into inosine first before being active.

Benowitz found the importance of activating Mst3b, a master regulator for axon growth -both can be affected by Oncomodulin & Inosine.    Since Inosine acts the same way as Oncomodulin, it can substitute for the other.
Below is info on actions by both Oncomodulin & Inosine 
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091025162501.htm

It means  Inosine is the base 2nd ingredient.

3. PTEN deletion – our Research uncovered that PTEN deletion is a way to a series of processes- that results in P13K activation.   P13K always leads to Akt  -  the research by Zhou & Snider, 2006 explains that P13K>Akt regulates Axon formation and extension.

Axonal growth requires P13K- & url below shows what happens when P13K is activated
 See    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16939976

The Reason  Dr. Larry Benowitz chose PTEN deletion is they do not have and can not use herbs in their trials.   They are using PTEN deletion to achieve the P13K activation & Akt.   Akt is important – when cells undergo changes, they are under stress and may die,  the Akt is there to prevent death and cells continue to growth and regeneration achieved while cells remain alive.
In fact most nerve growth is achieved with (NGF) Nerve Growth Factor but with
Akt, neurons remain alive even if there is no NGF present!!!   The name of the game is survival.

Now that we understand the above discoveries, it means we do not need PTEN deletion because  we can go directly to P13K & Akt , both achieved by herbs and is less complicated. 
We now have a formula
1.  Forskolin   for cAMP of neuron cells
2. Inosine  
3. Herbs that activate P13K & Akt.
   An example of a phytochemical that activates P13K > Akt is Crypotanshinone
   from the herb Salvia  miltiorrhiza

Thanks for sharing. I'm not sure how a combination of plants simply targeting specific targets, often with multifaceted phytochemicals, that target many different pathways would go? I'd be personally more inclined to look at what is being used in preclinical models, or clinically with success for different conditions. That said, inosine is a potential disease-modifying therapy for MS,  Salvia  miltiorrhiza has some promise for cerebrovascular and brain conditions eg stroke recovery.

To me, it's a lot of guessing to come up with a formula for neural repair that's going to help people with a diverse range of conditions

• Thanks 1

Excellent I knew I could count on some rational thinking, thank you kindly Alchemica. Sadly I don’t have as much time for research and experiments as I once did. 

Edited by FancyPants

Pretty sure I came across a cognition/neural nootropic formula a while ago from Stamets, with neurogenesis being in the mix I'm fairly sure; something about lion's mane, psilocybin and maybe niacin? Have to look into it for specific ratios and that :wink:

Edited by Responsible Choice
forgot Stamets!!!
  • Like 1

Saw this and thought of your post @FancyPants

Protein Kinase C: Targets to Regenerate Brain Injuries?

"Recent reports describe several non-tumorigenic diterpenes isolated from plants of the Euphorbia genus, which specifically modulate the activity of PKC isozymes promoting neurogenesis."

There's lots of attempts to use pro-neurogenic plant compounds for example

Ar-turmerone from turmeric essential oil

Other molecules include:

Eg TrkB (BDNF)

7,8-Dihydroxyflavone (Present in several plants such as Tridax procumbens L., Godmania aesculifolia (Kunth) Standl. and Primula sp.

Huperzine A (Huperzia serrata (Thunb.)

Deoxygedunin (Azadirachta indica A. Juss)

Hyperforin (Hypericum perforatum L) and other polyphenols etc

See more botanicals here

Eg TrkA (NGF)

β-caryophyllene

Lion's mane etc

GDNF

Ibogaine

β-Asarone (promotes expression of GDNF, BDNF, and CNTF genes) 

Edited by Alchemica
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Alchemica said:

Saw this and thought of your post @FancyPants

Protein Kinase C: Targets to Regenerate Brain Injuries?

"Recent reports describe several non-tumorigenic diterpenes isolated from plants of the Euphorbia genus, which specifically modulate the activity of PKC isozymes promoting neurogenesis."

There's lots of attempts to use pro-neurogenic plant compounds for example

Ar-turmerone from turmeric essential oil

Other molecules include:

Eg TrkB (BDNF)

7,8-Dihydroxyflavone (Present in several plants such as Tridax procumbens L., Godmania aesculifolia (Kunth) Standl. and Primula sp.

Huperzine A (Huperzia serrata (Thunb.)

Deoxygedunin (Azadirachta indica A. Juss)

Hyperforin (Hypericum perforatum L) and other polyphenols etc

See more botanicals here

Eg TrkA (NGF)

β-caryophyllene

Lion's mane etc

GDNF

Ibogaine

β-Asarone (promotes expression of GDNF, BDNF, and CNTF genes) 

Beautiful! So much more to learn and try! I noticed the terpene company that Tor recently recommended (My Terpenes) had b-carophyllene blend suggested for pain relief. That particular one called to me (at least as a start) so I'll be giving it a go soon thanks to Tor's friend! Very interesting the ibogaine, too. Due to turmeric's anti-inflammatory actions I've been putting it in my food with black pepper whenever possible for at least a decade now, but haven't yet tried essential oil. Re.Hyperforin, I've noticed over the years that supplements I've taken for mind/energy boosting containing hyperforin, bacopa, centella etc seem to give me an actual noticeable effect - more mental than physical, but I hadn't been paying attention to possible physical benefits of them. I presume supplements that I haven't really needed wouldn't have been noticeable.

Besides my obvious spinal cord damage and resultant direct neuropathies from that, I have the Restless Legs which is a fucking NIGHTMARE. Added to all this is indirect neuropathy from being in a wheelchair for nearly TWO DECADES (I seriously cannot believe it's been this long) and the pain and damage from postural abnormalities. As of a week ago I've been blessed with a new and different exciting nerve-based pain - YIPPEE - that I'm sure starts in my left hip/pelvis somewhere, shoots down into my groin, and down into the inner heel of my left foot. I'm pretty sure this one came about when we finally got around to fixing my wheelchair cushion so that my posture is a bit better to correct the old pain, but now a nerve is impinging from the rearrangement. And winter is coming... 

• Like 1

Sounds good, hope the terpenes help - keep us updated!

Sorry to hear you're being troubled with more struggles, that's no fair

• Like 1