The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Herbal healing experience

Woke up on Sunday morning with a bad case of blood poisoning, a 2 week old leech bite which had been healing nicely had turned very nasty literally overnight. Swollen and very sore lymph glands, swollen leg, very very bad visuals on the original wound and I thought What the fuck? And sat with my leg up for a day. Only the next day it was worse

Normally I'd ignore it, but I took my partner's advice and went to see a pharmacist, who took one look and told me to go straight to see my GP cos it was such a rapid onset and so full on.

Not wanting to fill up on antibiotics and being disinclined to spend two weeks hobbling around waiting for a full course to heal everything, I went to see the local herbalist. We are fortunate enough to have an excellent apothecary shop in Lismore, not just some hippy with a shingle in the doorway, and they confirmed that a goldenseal combo would fix this in no time.

Cost me $50, about the same as a GP visit and a script. I will say I did keep a close eye on it for a day in case it even got slightly worse and I had to go to hospital. But after 24 hours it was almost better, and had healed completely after 72. I really don't think it would have happened that fast using conventional medicine. The only downside is the medicine tastes like shit mixed with kero

I don't think that entirely replacing one system of knowledge with another is necessarily going to bring about improvement, but if you do have the option to shop around for any treatment, you can't beat competent personnel in any field. And if you're ever crook when on the Northern River's area or Byron, go to Lismore and find Traditional Medicinals on Keen St. Yes that is a shameless plug for a commercial operation :) but it's not the first time they have saved me and mine from dire bugs and germs either

Goldenseal is the shit :) It disappeared from the shelves for a few years cos it was being wildcrafted to death but if you look around now all the stuff I have seen sold is listed as plantation origin ( and I hope that's the truth ) Now all I have to do is get some in TC.