The Corroboree
Joshwaa

Catha edulis sob story

Recently acquired a few cuttings from a guy on facebook, he didn't get to the post office in time so refrigerated the cuts over the weekend.

When I received the cuts on wednesday i did my best to root them but all 6 failed ($60)

I contacted him and his solution was that I could but a rooted plant off him for the reduced cost of $80 which seemed steep but I am really keen to grow this plant so I agreed.

Received the plant today and it had snapped in two places during transit. He basically chucked it in a bag and sent it unprotected.

I'm feeling pretty down about it all but I realised that someone on here may be able to help find this rare plant, are there any collectors out there who would be willing to help a brother out with a new plant? Am happy to pay and cover shipping, or trade!

Thanks!

20190110_161222-2016x15121.jpg

20190110_161350-1512x20161.jpg

20190110_161222-2016x15121.thumb.jpg.704ff64b14477a9820d7f4f2a63d3297.jpg

20190110_161350-1512x20161.thumb.jpg.525b82f64c5189f584c619e14c1b4596.jpg

20190110_161222-2016x15121.thumb.jpg.704ff64b14477a9820d7f4f2a63d3297.jpg

20190110_161350-1512x20161.thumb.jpg.525b82f64c5189f584c619e14c1b4596.jpg

Edited by Joshwaa
  • Like 1

$80 for what's pictured?

Is that correct? 

11 minutes ago, Gimli said:

$80 for what's pictured?

Is that correct? 

Correct

I knew it was unreasonable but I'm having a really hard time finding this plant, hence my post

Edited by Joshwaa

Pretty sure catha pods are about to ripen. It won't be long 'till seeds are going cheap. Just ask around again in a couple weeks. I've grown from seed before and they're tough little buggers!

Instead of cuttings you can go for underground shoots that come up around the base of the tree. I've done them before too, with 100% success rate. Once again, very hardy.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

I have some seeds you can have for free if you want them.  I'll send you a pm :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Halcyon Daze said:

Pretty sure catha pods are about to ripen. It won't be long 'till seeds are going cheap. Just ask around again in a couple weeks. I've grown from seed before and they're tough little buggers!

Instead of cuttings you can go for underground shoots that come up around the base of the tree. I've done them before too, with 100% success rate. Once again, very hardy.

I've heard there very hard to grow from seed and have tried with no success. I have also read about the little suckers from the base but have been unable to find one. 

I'm going to take @Ethnoob up on his offer and try again from seed, could you reccomend a tek?

Thanks guys! Love this community and its generosity, excited to give some back when an opportunity presents!

31 minutes ago, Joshwaa said:

could you reccomend a tek? 

Nope, all mine failed to sprout lol  I'm sure someone else with experience with growing them will pop in eventually though.  It's quite a popular plant :)

I germinate using the takeaway tek and remove lid once they sprout, keep moist. Works a treat

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Joshwaa said:

Correct

I knew it was unreasonable but I'm having a really hard time finding this plant, hence my post

I'd be asking old mate on facebook for some money back! Did you pay with PayPal? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Xperiment said:

I'd be asking old mate on facebook for some money back! Did you pay with PayPal? 

Unfortunately he didn't have paypal so no, he's aksed me to plant the rooted stem and cutting and keep him posted but he doesn't seem like the type to refund, I will ask if neither survive but he assures me they will:unsure:

Edited by Joshwaa
  • Like 1

Ill have a dig around to see if i can find any suckers on mine. Theyre getting big and i dont want them to take over the space so if i find any theyre yours, youll be doing me a favour. Ive seen how big they grow at Horus's place...

• Like 3

Good news, people. I just had a look at my old Narrow Leaf plant and it's dropping seed everywhere so I brought some home. 

I'll do 5 baggies for free. I'd estimate at least 50 seeds in each, but it's a just a lucky dip if you'r interested.

Just PM me with your postal details. Posting within Australia only. If you're truly desperate and miss out I'll sort you out a small pack for small fee etc.

These are 100% fresh off the tree, as of an hour ago.

xyjy.png

xyjy.png

xyjy.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I grew this tree years ago from seed I obtained for free on the Corroboree.

So keep the good vibes going and don't forget to share the seeds and plants around someday.

Another interesting thing is that For the first year or more I was convinced they were not narrow-leaf at all, because the seedlings had such broad leaves. It was only after I planted it out that they started getting narrower with each flush of new growth. Now you can see just how narrow they actually get, so don't be confused.

Very sweet taste to these leaves :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze

That's fckn rough.... I sold a fella a rooted forest for around that,expressed and packed well (oz post football proof) 

Seed is easy, fresh is best and sow with the tail upwards(doesn't have to have the whole tail under the surface) . Humidity high until they get up. Your a good egg @Halcyon Daze

:wink: and @Glaukus

Edit - you guys know that :)

Edited by waterboy 2.0
  • Like 4

Yeah that's a nasty one. $60 for a bunch of shitty cuttings that you KNOW prolly won't make it there soon enough to succeed.

Who would do that to someone SMH.

I've given large potted plants away for free, that's how you wanna play this game, like fkn Santa Claus LOL.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

ALL GONE NOW, THANKS FOR PLAYING. I'll post out in about a week :)

• Thanks 2

Joshwaa..hes probably right (as shitty as $80 for a poorly packed plant is), that it will survive and throw new shoots. My rabbit chews the heads off my newly rooted aerial clones, and they always reshoot, provided its not the heart of winter. Looks like a traditional red or maybe a Vienna white. Not likely a green, narrow or PH. I might have something floating around i can send you. Shoot me a pm.