The Corroboree
sndwaves~

SP health / scab

Hi all!

This is my first post, i'm new here :)

I have a dozen healthy SP's. I recently turned one around, and found this nasty hard black scab running up from the base, to about half way up the body. I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere, but can anyone inform me as what may be causing the issue?

Thanks!

SPscab.jpg

SPscab.thumb.jpg.f436a9fc24d6aa88c41704f4418caa6a.jpg

SPscab.thumb.jpg.f436a9fc24d6aa88c41704f4418caa6a.jpg

I'm a noob here too, got the name and all hey lol  anyways you might be interested in this video though that does look pretty gnarly compared to a blemish here and there.

Hey sndwaves, Ill wait for more experienced growers to chime in but just wanted to extend a warm hello.

well while i am at it, do you have a picture of the entire plant (because it matters how close it is to the bottom and top of the cutting with respect to what you do next) and is that black patch still moist and rotting?

plants that get damage will sometimes rot like this, and then heal, and the plant continues to grow fine. for me, about 5% of my plants per year rot in one areole where the spent flower bud does not properly detach. this is rare (since I'm talking many plants and many flowers and just a few that rot) and produces an unsightly scar that never really grows out, but eventually the plant is so big you won't notice.

but if the rot keeps spreading, you have to cut it. sometimes you can excise it, if you can get all of it, without cutting the column (like removing a melanoma). This works best on healthy actively growing plants when the rot patch is not too large. But sometimes, especially on cuttings that are not actively growing, you have to cut the column to produce a clean part that will grow into a new plant without rot (like amputation).

thus, to give proper advice one must know - is the rot still active and where is it located on the plant and is it a cutting or an actively growing plant.

to me it looks dry, is a response to damage, and if there is enough healthy tissue at the bottom, stand upright and plant it, it will grow.

for me, rot usually starts as a response to damage (like flowers buds not detaching, frost etc.), and occasionally apparently spontaneously (in bridgesii esp.), will usually resolve on its own in a dry climate (but sometimes migrates into the base, then the roots, and kills the whole plant), but is ideal to chop out when small on particularly favoured plants.