The Corroboree
Ethnoob

Noob's cacti

13 minutes ago, bardo said:

Geez a lou that is spreading fast, here is a pic of one of mine that got it pretty bad a couple years ago, I thought it was toast, all I did was turn the effected side away from the sun but seems to have recovered and seems stable tho was majorly stunted 

20190112_171657.thumb.jpg.a5bec23dd02a13788f602e109175d24f.jpg

Defo see if she lives up to her reputation (near certain she will:wink:), no idea if there is any consequence for doing so with effected plants but I have and I am absolutely perfectly fine lol 

Some bridge at 5cm diameter and 6 inches can be pretty cool indeed. 

I would say don't skin it or de core it just carefully de spine it and brew the whole thing, if ya got some fungi handy its a great combo, one comes on fast and ya like sweet then the slow deliverer goes pow and adds another level to it all, just always remember to flow with the stream :wink:

Damn that cactus of yours took a beating.  I'm glad to hear that you were able to consume some cacti in a similar state and didn't have lasting negative effects.  It makes me a lot more confident about consuming my messed up cactus hearing tales like that.

As for mixing the cactus with other stuff like shrooms I really wish I could.  Unfortunately I don't have access to them and have to wait until payday to get the equipment I need to put some recently acquired spore prints to use but even then I'm still months away from having them in my possession.  I do however have some hawaiian baby woodrose seeds which I found out from recent experience are massively potentiated by consuming some cactus juice.  I thought since the cactus was wearing off I'd munch down just a few seeds to kick it back in and sweet baby jesus was I blasted to another plane and ended up having that trip where you feel as though god is tuning into you like a radio frequency.  I'd been wanting to experience that for a while so I was quite impressed to say the least.  I imagine shrooms which are far more pleasurable than HBW seeds would be infinitely better.  It's definitely on my to do list :)

• Like 1

The universe givith and the universe takeith :BANGHEAD2:

I've seen the yellow spots on these two since I got them but they never got any worse so paid them no attention.  I think they're the likely sources of infection but I got them from two different sellers thousands of kilometers from each other so I don't know.

1.thumb.JPG.1aa5e44a53b47d27a9cdbdddbca8cf4a.JPG2.thumb.JPG.292bc3a89df5bb775ecfc98c7ade43b2.JPG

Sorry for the potato pics but I'm an emotional wreck right now.  Clearly it's spreading and it's hitting some of my favourite plants first.

3.thumb.JPG.6880512b7744743bb8917075fe1b1b86.JPG4.thumb.JPG.af348a3fcd2a0396a5bd4e2438c5653c.JPG5.thumb.JPG.570c4adcb97c0c60a2981c03a7d35b89.JPG

These last two pics are the Eileen from before that's stopped getting any worse and may have just saved herself because of it.

6.thumb.JPG.711779e31223db9f96d83b7cdaec74d1.JPG7.thumb.JPG.759441f3300be3e328654c8ce1b9ea03.JPG

I don't want to expose new additions to the garden to the same virus so how should I go about things? Should I bake the soil before using it? Bleach the pots? I'll definitely be keeping them isolated in a separate place in the garden but I can only keep them like 30-40m away at the most so I'm not sure how effective that will be.   Should I go genocidal on the local insect life? Please tell me there's something I can do to save my babies :(

1.thumb.JPG.1aa5e44a53b47d27a9cdbdddbca8cf4a.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.292bc3a89df5bb775ecfc98c7ade43b2.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.6880512b7744743bb8917075fe1b1b86.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.af348a3fcd2a0396a5bd4e2438c5653c.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.570c4adcb97c0c60a2981c03a7d35b89.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.711779e31223db9f96d83b7cdaec74d1.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.759441f3300be3e328654c8ce1b9ea03.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.1aa5e44a53b47d27a9cdbdddbca8cf4a.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.292bc3a89df5bb775ecfc98c7ade43b2.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.6880512b7744743bb8917075fe1b1b86.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.af348a3fcd2a0396a5bd4e2438c5653c.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.570c4adcb97c0c60a2981c03a7d35b89.JPG

6.thumb.JPG.711779e31223db9f96d83b7cdaec74d1.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.759441f3300be3e328654c8ce1b9ea03.JPG

Ah shit, do you smoke ciggies ? if so make sure to wash ya hands before handling the cacti just in case, cause it could be a possible source of the virus ? and if making cuts sterilize the blade between every cut.  

At least it appears you don't have scale insect, im anti poison as much as possible so prob around every few months im out with the tooth brush scanning for the suckers. 

I wouldn't go genocidal on all the insects but watch to see if any particular insect is causing any issue and deal with that how you may, I think it is wise to keep them in a sick bay and monitor the situation from there. Hopefully someone with greater knowledge will offer up some more helpful advice than my own. 

try not to let it get ya down,  they are living things and life is always at the mercy of disease, sickness and death. 

10 minutes ago, bardo said:

Ah shit, do you smoke ciggies ? if so make sure to wash ya hands before handling the cacti just in case, cause it could be a possible source of the virus ? and if making cuts sterilize the blade between every cut.  

At least it appears you don't have scale insect, im anti poison as much as possible so prob around every few months im out with the tooth brush scanning for the suckers. 

I wouldn't go genocidal on all the insects but watch to see if any particular insect is causing any issue and deal with that how you may, I think it is wise to keep them in a sick bay and monitor the situation from there. Hopefully someone with greater knowledge will offer up some more helpful advice than my own. 

try not to let it get ya down,  they are living things and life is always at the mercy of disease, sickness and death. 

Thanks for the quick replymate.

I don't smoke ciggies and haven't smoked weed since about a week before Christmas as well.  I also only touched them while planting/transplanting them as I have a healthy fear of getting poked.  My daughter has touched a few of them but she too got poked early on and hasn't put her hands anywhere near them.

The ones I've tried to graft are all fine.  I even had to go back and cut the originals again because despite the quite large angle I cut them on they all formed bowls which were holding a ton of water and mold was starting to grow.  They look ugly as sin now but problem solved I guess.

I know absolutely nothing about bugs so I don't know if any are to blame but there's been a massive amount of grasshoppers here of late, spiders absolutely adore setting up their webs between the spikes, oddly enough flies tend to land on them all the time despite the spiders being on on duty 24/7 and I've also seen moths on them too.  I haven't seen anything chewing on them though and nor have I seen any bite marks either.  The first signs of damage are those yellow dots appearing.

I think I'll take a trip to bunnings and see about getting one of those screened in plant enclosures.  They're terrible quality but if I can keep the bugs out maybe an ounce of prevention will be worth a pound of cure.

I don't think insects would be to blame if they are not sucking or eating the cactus, I wouldn't imagine just landing on them to cause transmission of the virus. 

Hmmm seems odd for so many to be effected especially in such a short time frame, a bit of a mystery to me.  

Have you had a look on that fb page Joshwaa suggested ? sounds like there is some good and interesting reading there 

32 minutes ago, Ethnoob said:

Thanks for the quick replymate.

I don't smoke ciggies and haven't smoked weed since about a week before Christmas as well.  I also only touched them while planting/transplanting them as I have a healthy fear of getting poked.  My daughter has touched a few of them but she too got poked early on and hasn't put her hands anywhere near them.

The ones I've tried to graft are all fine.  I even had to go back and cut the originals again because despite the quite large angle I cut them on they all formed bowls which were holding a ton of water and mold was starting to grow.  They look ugly as sin now but problem solved I guess.

I know absolutely nothing about bugs so I don't know if any are to blame but there's been a massive amount of grasshoppers here of late, spiders absolutely adore setting up their webs between the spikes, oddly enough flies tend to land on them all the time despite the spiders being on on duty 24/7 and I've also seen moths on them too.  I haven't seen anything chewing on them though and nor have I seen any bite marks either.  The first signs of damage are those yellow dots appearing.

I think I'll take a trip to bunnings and see about getting one of those screened in plant enclosures.  They're terrible quality but if I can keep the bugs out maybe an ounce of prevention will be worth a pound of cure.

You don't happen to have tomatoes growing close by, by any chance? Next door maybe?...there a viral sorce nightmare for cacti 

50 minutes ago, bardo said:

I don't think insects would be to blame if they are not sucking or eating the cactus, I wouldn't imagine just landing on them to cause transmission of the virus. 

Hmmm seems odd for so many to be effected especially in such a short time frame, a bit of a mystery to me.  

Have you had a look on that fb page Joshwaa suggested ? sounds like there is some good and interesting reading there 

I haven't looked but since it keeps being brought up I'll finally cave in an make a facebook account.  Damn you all for making me side with the devil but it sounds like it may just be worth it.

21 minutes ago, Spiky Mc Cactus Face said:

You don't happen to have tomatoes growing close by, by any chance? Next door maybe?...there a viral sorce nightmare for cacti 

I actually have 3 types growing not even 2m away.  Well had, they're gone 30 seconds after I hit reply.

• Like 1

Good shit

I also hear that creating competition with the use of beneficial bacteria and fungus is useful in controlling viruses. 

Also read that basically more than 80% of cactus are infected with tmv (thinks thats the acronym) it sort of behaves like herpes. Stays dormant till the conditions are just right then wakes up

Also learning how varigations are actually a virus and not genetic...byt that might be common knowledge now, also learnt you can infect other cactus with variegated trates via aloha grafts some how.

Also research is showing that in some cases theres a beneficial relationship between cactus and viruses till conditions are just right and viruses takes over and fucks shit up on ya. This relationship between cactus and viruses is thought to have come about when cactus first appeared (eons ago) and that possibily one wouldn't be hear with out the other. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ethnoob said:

I haven't looked but since it keeps being brought up I'll finally cave in an make a facebook account.  Damn you all for making me side with the devil but it sounds like it may just be worth it.

I don't have a fb account either just sounded like there might be some good info there :)

43 minutes ago, Spiky Mc Cactus Face said:

Good shit

I also hear that creating competition with the use of beneficial bacteria and fungus is useful in controlling viruses. 

Also read that basically more than 80% of cactus are infected with tmv (thinks thats the acronym) it sort of behaves like herpes. Stays dormant till the conditions are just right then wakes up

Also learning how varigations are actually a virus and not genetic...byt that might be common knowledge now, also learnt you can infect other cactus with variegated trates via aloha grafts some how.

Also research is showing that in some cases theres a beneficial relationship between cactus and viruses till conditions are just right and viruses takes over and fucks shit up on ya. This relationship between cactus and viruses is thought to have come about when cactus first appeared (eons ago) and that possibily one wouldn't be hear with out the other. 

Goddamn it, sometimes I feel so retarded that I shouldn't be allowed to have kids and then I see my daughter and feel evil for having such thoughts lol  I've had these benes for ages for growing weed and never once thought about giving them to my cacti.

myco.thumb.JPG.28f22b2740363a2ce32f25588b24f95c.JPG

If tmv is in 80% of cacti and is responsible for varigations I've probably spazzed out over nothing like a mother with a newborn that coughs for the first time.  Still though that feeling of helplessness doesn't seem to be getting any easier.  In any case I get what you're saying about viruses, they can't survive without a host so the chances of them causing actual problems or death relies on conditions becoming out of balance to favor them reproducing out of control and for what it's worth my cacti do seem to be getting on top of things again.  Eileen has completely stopped getting worse as have the others except that little blue brigesii but even the progreession in it has already started slowing down considerably and will likely stop by day's end.

Just to be on the safe side of things though I smashed them with a ton of the beneficial bacteria and thoroughly washed it in.  I got them all and also hit my other ethnos like my hawaiian baby woodrose and yopo plants while I was at it.  Christ I'm a retard for not doing it sooner but better late than never.

6 minutes ago, bardo said:

I don't have a fb account either just sounded like there might be some good info there :)

It's been a long time coming.  Family has given me shit for not having one, the CSD guy sells cuts way cheaper than I can get off ebay, there's tons of cacti groups that can satisfy my desire to see more plants, the trading groups, the help groups, etc.  Still though I'm going to feel dirty as pressing that register button lol

Thanks for all your help guys, it really means the world :)

5 hours ago, Spiky Mc Cactus Face said:

I've heard many are, not sure about 80%

There are test strips avaliable for tmv (again fb trichocereus disease and virology)

Diatamaceous earth kills bugs and is fully organic

Pyretherum is another one to look at

Sounds like the tomatoes could be the source if the infected plants have come from all over

Skim milk is the best antiviral/sterelizer for tmv

Soil and tools should be treated (again more info on fb)

Tmv is ravaging the states atm but is alot less common here, please consider this before trading your plants!

Edited by Joshwaa
Woops wrong group

4 minutes ago, Joshwaa said:

I've heard many are, not sure about 80%

There are test strips avaliable for tmv (again fb ground cactus lab)

Diatamaceous earth kills bugs and is fully organic

Pyretherum is another one to look at

Sounds like the tomatoes could be the source if the infected plants have come from all over

Skim milk is the best antiviral/sterelizer for tmv

Soil and tools should be treated (again more info on fb)

Tmv is ravaging the states atm but is alot less common here, please consider this before trading your plants!

I read that about skim milk last night but I thought it was just the internet having a laugh.  I'll definitely look into it and the other things you suggested.

I'm definitely not trading plants with anyone anytime soon.  If I get on top of this yeah maybe, but in the meantime keeping this bug to myself is the least I can do.  Last thing I want is for it spread like crazy like what's happening in the usa.  If my cacti die that would be terrible but helping to wipe the rest out would be a crime against humanity.  Everyone should get to experience mescaline so if I have to bunker down and take one for the team so be it.

• Like 1

Yeah im not 100% sur if 80% of infected cactus were tmv or that 80% of cactus have some form of virus.

Pretty sure the varigated virus is a separate virus all together may even be several 

Anyways im off to have a rant about something. .......just don't eat grapes 

Your skim milk will work for powdery mildew:wink:.... It's not doing shit for viruses. 

The Internet weaponised all kinds of shit. 

Rule number one if you think somethings viral or something really pathogenic you remove and isolate it. Get it the Fck away from  every eryrhing else. 

Before you lads get jumped... Read this 

Edit - there's good reasons for this

Edited by waterboy 2.0

So is good hygiene.... I hope you read that word salad...im not convinced and far from industry standards.:wink:

Edit- quoting studies doesn't equate to real world applications often, to get the good benefits you have to be able to replicate and with reliability 

Edited by waterboy 2.0

A bit harder to judge on the less "affected" ones, TMV usually has a mosaic pattern to it but it can appear at first, as many other viruses, as splotches.

Eileen seems to be sun burnt to me, so give her filtered light and see how she does. TMV does not cause wilting/damage in such a sort period.

Set up sun protection from the "affected" plants and give them some nitrogen/ magnesium . I hope it's not viral.

Don't give up! Take precautions of course and isolate, just to be safe.

TMV identification has become a bit of a fad/scare to first timers because of how similar it is to the frequent markings cacti get from overt sun exposure, nutrient deficiencies, bug bites etc.

Btw do you have any opuntias expressing similar symptoms in your collection? They are infamous for carrying TMV!

Take it easy:rolleyes:

Edited by saigaX

On 12/01/2019 at 10:36 AM, bardo said:

Geez a lou that is spreading fast, here is a pic of one of mine that got it pretty bad a couple years ago, I thought it was toast, all I did was turn the effected side away from the sun but seems to have recovered and seems stable tho was majorly stunted 

20190112_171657.thumb.jpg.a5bec23dd02a13788f602e109175d24f.jpg

Defo see if she lives up to her reputation (near certain she will:wink:), no idea if there is any consequence for doing so with effected plants but I have and I am absolutely perfectly fine lol 

Some bridge at 5cm diameter and 6 inches can be pretty cool indeed. 

I would say don't skin it or de core it just carefully de spine it and brew the whole thing, if ya got some fungi handy its a great combo, one comes on fast and ya like sweet then the slow deliverer goes pow and adds another level to it all, just always remember to flow with the stream :wink:

By what you're describing the plant was just severely sun burnt.

I hear ya waterboy, I have tidy up my badly thought out fictions, was lacking a bit of common sense there 

1 hour ago, waterboy 2.0 said:

Your skim milk will work for powdery mildew:wink:.... It's not doing shit for viruses. 

The Internet weaponised all kinds of shit. 

Rule number one if you think somethings viral or something really pathogenic you remove and isolate it. Get it the Fck away from  every eryrhing else. 

Before you lads get jumped... Read this 

Edit - there's good reasons for this

I forgot about how strict those rules are.  I remembered it mentioning not talking about increasing potency, methods of preparation, etc. but damn, my bad.  Sorry folks.

I read up about using milk and it looks like it might actually be quite effective at stopping the spread of tmv.  It won't help the infected plants, in fact I read absolutely nothing will, but it will happily bind to the virus outside the plant and stop the spread until it gets washed off by rain or the plant has new growth that isn't protected at which point an uninfected plant is vulnerable again.  Now the really shitty thing is that where I live conditions are perfect for it, it's already here and short of making my own powdered skim milk chem trails and blanketing a high percentage of Australia in every direction around me absolutely there's no slowing it down let alone stopping it. 

The only real choice I have is to play a numbers game looking for strong plants that can grow up in this infected environment without succumbing to it and that's not a terrible thing.  I'll cry my man tears for sure every time I lose a plant but given 3-5 years of throwing down massive amounts of seeds I'll have an army of plants that laugh in the face of such dangers and from there I can start looking at them for other traits that make them worth keeping around.  Survivability first, everything else second and a world of heartbreak and fun in the meantime.  Should be interesting :)

Speaking of interesting things I had some new additions to the garden today, Melted Wax and I'm pretty sure they're Crazy Spine and Nothink but they came unlabeled so I'm just waiting on confirmation before giving them a name tag.  I hate thinking about how much I spent on that one melted wax cut but it was totally worth it, it's dead sexy :wub:

1.thumb.JPG.6ba187bbbe8eac33cfc24b0a86c4fe4e.JPG2.thumb.JPG.92778d8281fc8af7b2f40a34afb47bc5.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.6ba187bbbe8eac33cfc24b0a86c4fe4e.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.92778d8281fc8af7b2f40a34afb47bc5.JPG

1.thumb.JPG.6ba187bbbe8eac33cfc24b0a86c4fe4e.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.92778d8281fc8af7b2f40a34afb47bc5.JPG

• Like 1

Very nice : )

I can do some different nice melty semi monstrose named cloned bridgesii tips for you at good honest prices. if ya interested send me a pm and ill send some photos of different things I have : )

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bardo said:

Very nice : )

I can do some different nice melty semi monstrose named cloned bridgesii tips for you at good honest prices. if ya interested send me a pm and ill send some photos of different things I have : )

Thanks mate but unfortunately I'm broke for another month or so.  I've already committed myself to purchasing from other people this month and have my heart set on getting a few bulk packs of seeds afterwards.  If your offer is still good at the end of February though I'd love to take a look :)

• Like 2

Bardo is a champ! All my trades with him have been top shelf.... speaking of which, i reckon I must be owing him a gift for being so generous last time....

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MountainGoat said:

Bardo is a champ! All my trades with him have been top shelf.... speaking of which, i reckon I must be owing him a gift for being so generous last time....

Thanks very much for the kind words MG, Nah you don't owe me anything at all, 100% happy with our trades and such : ) 

• Like 1

I was gonna put a post in the wanted thread for some tobacco varieties and read that you did the same, ill hold off and see if ya can spare a pinch of Shiraz and or Burley seeds, I would be very thankful indeed and of course happy to trade something back if you do have any spare ? Either way thanks MG : )

Edited by bardo
spelling
  • Like 1