The Corroboree

Fantastic - thanks for the photos!

Building a simple top bar hive is the next project for me - planning on starting early next year.

Never beekeeped before, but also plan to look into gaining some local Tasmanian training.

I'm a strong believer in "no bee no me" theory.

• Like 1

Thanks, I followed these plans. My first carpentry  ((( ̄へ ̄井) http://biobees.com/build-a-beehive-free-plans.php
then I did a course in natural beekeeping, which was warre focussed. Totally look into the warre design too!  http://www.warre.biobees.com/?mc_cid=f3c7cf2889&mc_eid=f8b4f169df
It is maybe better in its bio mimicry because it has a vertical design, like a hollow tree.

I just can't believe how dumb and egotistical people are using neonicotinoids and practicing monoculture! combined with the bees sensitivity to emf, because they use magnetoreception to navigate, it makes them vulnerable to all sorts of bacteria and pests.:ana:

anyway

The pic at the bottom is a swarm cell, so I have a young queen who would have mated in the local Drone Congregation Area, 
for wild genetic diversity!

^_^

• Like 2

22 hours ago, absinthium said:

It is maybe better in its bio mimicry because it has a vertical design, like a hollow tree.

Personally, I'm not convinced. Left to themselves, bees often nest horizontally.

As well as rock ledges I have seen them build horizontally along the top of an old wardrobe, under the eaves of a building and even hanging from the rafters of a shed.

800px-Bee_Hive,_Durba_Springs_in_Western_Australia.jpg

1873674765_800px-Bee_Hive_Durba_Springs_in_Western_Australia.thumb.jpg.90cf1e15586135adf0fd786aba15269b.jpg

1873674765_800px-Bee_Hive_Durba_Springs_in_Western_Australia.thumb.jpg.90cf1e15586135adf0fd786aba15269b.jpg

Edited by Crop
Spelling again.

hmm yeah I guess so, but I think there is a tendency for the brood to become honeybound in an enclosed horizontal space, so you need 2 follower boards to adjust the space depending where they are keeping the brood. I reckon you must live somewhere pretty warm because bees like to stay around 35 degrees and they're not going to achieve that on a rock ledge in winter further south. But they are pretty adaptable, like being fed high frustose corn syrup by beekeepers... mm healthy GM. Have you seen 'more that honey" and 'queen of the bees'?bee-ritual_ring_1500bc.thumb.jpg.50d5b4c0a737f2b95c89e54d57b97fc6.jpg

bee-ritual_ring_1500bc.thumb.jpg.50d5b4c0a737f2b95c89e54d57b97fc6.jpg

bee-ritual_ring_1500bc.thumb.jpg.50d5b4c0a737f2b95c89e54d57b97fc6.jpg

On 19/11/2018 at 10:52 PM, absinthium said:

I just can't believe how dumb and egotistical people are using neonicotinoids and practicing monoculture! combined with the bees sensitivity to emf, because they use magnetoreception to navigate, it makes them vulnerable to all sorts of bacteria and pests

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/chemical-concerns-after-mass-bee-kill-20211206-p59f84.html

I've got a Langstroth hive in my back yard, but haven't been interested in robbing it for several years now. I wish someone would take it over from me. 

a while ago, i replied to a beeziness thread, on the lines, " i don't like bees, they lead to the dying out of many native insects".

the pollen and nectar in my garden is for native bees and insects, not for imported!

how dare your bees steal my pollen, which is to save rare native insects.

the byron bat council, followed this idea and mad european honey bees illegal. a good move, i think, but political suizide, as they had so many complaints, they had to abonde the law afte a short time.

which tells you, what would be the "RIGHT THING TO DO" can't be achived, becuse of the ignorance and feable mindedness of the people.

thats when a dictator ship would come handy, haha.

dyslexia, sorry.

Edited by withdrawl clinic