The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
od101010

Spider mites on cactus - metho spray?

YO got some little fkers on my grafts looking for something safe to use on my 1 year old grafts.

I suspect these are false spider mites as there's no webbing.

IPA is dear, metho cheap i did a bit of a google and looks like a 50/50 mix of metho/water should be ok just wanted to hear from someone that might have tried aka don't want to kill my collection either ;)

Cheers 

Be careful... metho has different additives to make it unpleasant/toxic to consume, they are not usually on the label and I guess it can depend on the brand too.

I hit my mine a few years ago with some after a spider mite infestation because I read it was effective. It killed the mites, but it seems the additive in my bottle was phytotoxic - it burnt a lot of them badly. They recovered eventually, but many are still scarred.

It was stupid, I should have tested a small area on one or two first. If you try it I suggest starting with a small area and making sure they are out of sunlight before/after.

thanks i sprayed a couple of plants on the weekend only did 30% metho see how it goes.

I use a DIY neem oil bug spray for spider mites on my plants which works really well (neem oil, warm water and a little dish soap)

I assume it's safe for use on cacti also since it's all natural