The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sprac

Lophophora varieties

Hey everyone,

Is there a list anywhere specifying which varieties are southern and northern? I'm curious as I would like to get into pollination and it seems if I'm going to get just one or 2 varieties it would ake sense to get self pollinating ones... Sorry if this has been answered already.

the answer to your question is yes.

I would suggest tracking down the most northern varieties as they are generally regarded as the most ethnobotanically interesting. Big Bend, to my knowledge, is the most northern locality. And the northern forms are self pollinating. Also, when you say 'varieties', you mean localities of williamsii? or are you meaning species (fricii, willi. etc)? I know I have seen a detailed map on SAB somewhere years ago...  

As an update for June 2019: The Big Bend peyotes have finally all been collected. Someone took around half of them a few years back after Gerhard Koehres posted a series of scenery shots taken at the site but now the remaining couple of dozen have been removed too --roots and all. Which probably suggests cactus collectors rather than consumers. That tiny population is now extirpated. People owning these really should be regarded as being akin to ivory collectors.

• Sad 4

Ugh, that's so devastating!!! conservation areas should really be fenced off and extremely hard to access for this reason.