The Corroboree

Recently I have been experiencing visitations by birds on a daily basis. Most notably magpies, but also king parrots and crows. One magpie in particular is now so comfortable that he will eat from my hand. I call him Claude. 

King parrots are also making daily visits. Crows watch from a distance but are very vocal.

This is a new occurrence that started a month or so ago, and it seems to hold some importance, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

Magpies seem to be associated with a message to focus on spiritual pursuits rather than material ones (I'm hardly a materialistic person so I think there's something I'm missing). Parrots are associated with the need to be watchful and alert. 

These are the typical associations in dreams anyway. But my visitations are physical, so I wonder if there is more to the picture.

Does anyone have any experience with bird visitation and their symbology?

• Like 9

I too like to see birds symbolically and as spiritual messengers. I've also been feeling attunement to all animals/insects on a deeper level. I feel it's more a personal relationship that you find in their presence than any general one but just observing the bird can form some relevant "lesson" or insight.

For example, some have taught me that I need to be more friendly with their general friendly nature.

Others reaching for higher transcendence of self through their flight

A more detatched view on the earthly pleasures and greater spirit etc

There's plenty on  spiritual views on the net but see what inner work it brings to your awareness?

• Like 2

I spent a moment with a magpie sitting on my garden bed and he seemed to enjoy me being there... It was just a young little guy.

I love hearing kingfishers in the trees outside my house. A good pair of binoculars lets me see up close without disturbing them.

They do seem to have strong personalities.

• Like 2

I really think these birds are visiting for a reason, it feels important. Like something is about to happen and it might be good...

• Like 4

I spent about 5 years having an intimate relationship with birds. With all birds generally, and with some species specifically.

I had methods by which I could 'call' certain species to appear, and my thoughts were synchronistically linked with bird behaviour in general.

As time went on, i refined my relationship with certain species and could understand by the context in which i saw them (i.e. in relation to other birds, their activities, or my own activities at the time I saw them), the quality of the decisions I was making in my life, which is to say, my level of 'agreement' with the 'flow' of the world.

There was a time in which my ability to 'call' birds became dramatically refined, and the quality and frequency of the sychonristic moments that occurred begger belief.

For a while, this ability progressed to terrestrial animals, especially snakes and lizards, sometimes dingoes.

At a certain point, the path in which my connection to birds was founded, became somewhat anathema to me, as I became cynical, the level of synchronism ceased, leaving only a relationship to a few key species, and with far less frequency - but from time to time still delivers some MAJOR synchronisms.

I also cured my cynicism and these days, I view the world through a 'theoretical' lens, but 'bird coincidences' are curious for sure and the topic of synchrony is one of the most pressing, ontologically.

And birds themselves are perhaps more suited to act as 'messengers' than other animals, and maybe this is why we 'see' messages from them, as Levi-Strauss once said,

“Birds are given human christian names [in mythic societies] in accordance with the species to which they belong more easily than are other zoological classes, because they can be permitted to resemble men for the very reason that they are so different. They are feathered, winged, oviparous, and they are also physically separated from human society by the element in which it is their privilege to move. As a result of this fact, they form a community which is independent of our own, but, precisely because of this independence, appears to us like another society, homologous to that in which we live: birds love freedom; they build themselves homes in which they live a family life and nurture their young; they often engage in social relations with other members of their species; and they communicate with them by acoustic means recalling articulated language.

Consequently everything objective conspires to make us think of the bird world as a metaphorical human society: is it not after all literally parallel to it on another level?”

In this, calling your magpie 'Claude' (Levi-Strauss) is curious! But one can see how natural it is to construct inverted and externalized relationships with ourselves via the perception of birds, a justification of the verisimilitude of our own lives.

From here, as Alchemica noted, it is question of understanding what your inner world is expressing to you in objectifying parts of your life in the acknowledgements of birds - something that, as 'Claude' is pointing out, is something humans have done time since time immemorial.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Micromegas, I always value your response.

This evening, yet another new magpie came to visit me. I need to meditate on this. 

• Like 1

This is great stuff, not sure what it means, but you are very fortunate.

Our property at Yengo is a bird sanctuary. We love it.

Its spooky, in 4 years we have never seen a mammal. There are wallabies and wombats on everyone else's farms.

But just birds, from Powerful Owls to our favorites, the Blue Fairy Wren at our place.

When running retreats, I can get everyone into the moment, by tuning in to the birdsong.

Just keep your avian focus, and see where it flows.

Oh I cant help but tell you where it will lead..........to happiness !!

• Like 5

Funnily enough I have a new bird friend too - in the last two weeks!  A currawong has decided to make some kind of residence in the tree outside my bedroom window.  It's not nesting - just hanging out in the tree and warbling its cute song from time to time (not so cute at 530am tho).  Sometimes it has a couple of mates over.  My cat's not overly impressed.

• Like 3

I seem to recall an indigenous dreaming around willy wagtails, as in when they appear and dance for you, it is for you. The most important thing then of course is to pay attention.

I have also heard of some dude, possibly an author as well, who runs a course in Oz on how the birdsong matrix as a whole can be deciphered and differentiated. Therefore one can read the birds, their specific call out of their repertoire, and their sequence in the 'sea'. Some for example are the first usually as they are the look outs, and their specific alert call will be confirmed by certain other birds in a certain order with an appropriate response call... or some such. I'll try and chase it up!  :wink:

• Like 5

Too many things... 

The most profound one was a bird of a type I've never been able to identify (I'm familiar with my environment a wren type though)  that came down to me in a powerful bit of bush I was trying to quickly move through. It stopped me in my tracks and berated and chastised me severely  with such a range of vocalizations and gestures for probably 20 or 30 minutes ... That one was the turning point of leaving years of heavy gear use behind. 

Currently have dusky robins tapping on my windows.... I'm sure they are telling me it's time for action(what action I'm yet to pin) . Persistent buggers (Edit - it is a time for action, what- is the thing) 

FJIMG_20181028_135634-1-1-1287x1661.jpg

When I've tuned out and reduced in awareness.. The whistling kites call me back into focus 

Lol... Nocturnal birds... Respect them things. 

Edited by waterboy 2.0
Overmedicated
  • Like 6

A few years ago I was on cactus camp and there was an old male bower bird watching me from a tree across the river for a day. Finally he decided I was OK and he came over for a chat. He stayed close and sang a few songs then it was time to go. That was pretty special.

They are the most beautiful birds, iridescent blue black.

• Like 5

I read this thread for the first time this morning. At lunch time, I usually head out to a quiet spot under a large shady tree situated in the bend of a creek (which unfortunately for the most part is dry), and spend about 30 min just relaxing with my eyes closed, listening to silence and nature. Today, after a few minutes, I hear rustling in the leaves and grass beside my car, lo and behold, there is a magpie standing there looking at me; no more than about a meter from my open door. He turned around in circles a couple of times, cocking his head looking at me first with one eye, then the other, then suddenly flew up and landed on the bonnet close to the windscreen right in front of the steering wheel. He stayed there looking at me for a few minutes, then flew off. I was gob-smacked. 

If I hadn't have read this thread, the experience would have been unique and something to tell friends about... but with what has been shared here, well now ya'll got me wondering. I visit the same spot most days, so if he decides I'm worthy of getting to know,  I'll post an update.  

• Like 4

I have a couple of old magpies I feed a little bit of meat on a daily basis every time I feed the dogs. It will be sad when they finally die. The big old male (named two-toe) has a permanently injured foot but it doesn't affect him much at all. Just gives him character. They breed every season and never ever swoop us.

The other day two-toe came up beside me while gardening and started  mimicking! It was absolutely incredible. I never even knew maggies could do it.  The wonderful, bizzare, and beautiful sounds coming out of that bird was absolutely mind-blowing. A mix of familiar bird calls, and sounds from another dimension. I shyt you not, I was completely  stunned by what I heard from that Magpie. They come a very close second to a lyrebird IMO, and probably very few people even know they can do it.

I felt like I was treated to something special that day, and I'll honestly never forget it. 

I'll never see the humble old Maggie in the same way again. My new favourite bird :)

• Like 4

Well, I've been back to my fave spot a number of times and observed the cheeky Maggie interact with quite a number of other folk. I struck up a conversation with a bloke who frequents the spot and he told me he started feeding this Maggie about 2 months ago. Others have done the same, so it appears his interest in me was to see if he could get some tucker from me too. I'm not keen to feed wild birds myself, given their diet in the wild is vastly different from what most folk think they can feed them. I've done a bit of reading and I'll make the effort to track down some of what Maggies normally eat, thankfully easily found in me own backyard....

Who knows, maybe the little bugger and I will become friends. 

My magpies have disappeared again as quickly as they started coming. Still crows wherever I go talking to me...

half your luck.  I got swooped on again by one particular magpie in the local park as late in the nesting season as yesterday!  I swear its just me it dislikes as other regular walkers in the area don't have the same issue.  Probably all because I threw a stick at it once (after it attacked me) and I don't think its ever going to forgive.

• Haha 1

One of my little missions/ reference points atm is to try and make where i live a better place for birds.  The job has led me to grow natives, get rid of chooks, (because they encourage invasive species and cane the local insect population) and just bring that notion into my daily observations.  Lately ive felt like things arent happening quick enough, not making the difference that my initial passion had ignited.  Thinking i have 20 good years left and things arent moving forward enough.  So, of course.....

today out walking the dog, i came across another dog who injured a wee duckling.  The distraught owner didnt seem up to the task so off home with me.  As i arrive home my daughter shows me an egg abondoned in the yard.  Luckily im incubating quail at the moment and had room for the egg.  

The duck cant balance or walk has eaten, drunk a little and has good vigor. I reckon both ventures are probably a hopeless case though, so i asked why is this happening?  What can be gained?

My thoughts bought me to a recent theme about the human dreaming. Not just being a custodian ( a socially constructed notion) but rather part of a living Gaian mind.  What can humans offer?  Through our eyes we can imagine the lives, experiences of other animals and plants. That is unique to our dreaming.  I feel that when we show attentiveness, care and love to these we are rewarded and can often recieve insights as we tune into a higher frequency. 

That although as humans we are destroyers we can also be the healers, nuturers.  We have the capacity.  The choice is clear.  Through showing love and caring to this little duck my kids see how a human can bring positivity and love to how they interact with the natural world. Even if it doesnt make it the kids got it!  Maybe showing kids how to interact positively with nature, how to raise the vibration though love, patience and kindness is also the work.  

Peace 

Edited by Humbolt
Typo
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Humbolt said:

One of my little missions/ reference points atm is to try and make where i live a better place for birds.  The job has led me to grow natives, get rid of chooks, (because they encourage invasive species and cane the local insect population) and just bring that notion into my daily observations.  Lately ive felt like things arent happening quick enough, not making the difference that my initial passion had ignited.  Thinking i have 20 good years left and things arent moving forward enough.  So, of course.....

today out walking the dog, i came across another dog who injured a wee duckling.  The distraught owner didnt seem up to the task so off home with me.  As i arrive home my daughter shows me an egg abondoned in the yard.  Luckily im incubating quail at the moment and had room for the egg.  

The duck cant balance or walk has eaten, drunk a little and has good vigor. I reckon both ventures are probably a hopeless case though, so i asked why is this happening?  What can be gained?

My thoughts bought me to a recent theme about the human dreaming. Not just being a custodian ( a socially constructed notion) but rather part of a living Gaian mind.  What can humans offer?  Through our eyes we can imagine the lives, experiences of other animals and plants. That is unique to our dreaming.  I feel that when we show attentiveness, care and love to these we are rewarded and can often recieve insights as we tune into a higher frequency. 

That although as humans we are destroyers we can also be the healers, nuturers.  We have the capacity.  The choice is clear.  Through showing love and caring to this little duck my kids see how a human can bring positivity and love to how they interact with the natural world. Even if it doesnt make it the kids got it!  Maybe showing kids how to interact positively with nature, how to raise the vibration though love, patience and kindness is also the work.  

Peace 

Mate if you can make any creature's day better than it might otherwise have been, you're on the right track.

1 hour ago, Glaukus said:

Mate if you can make any creature's day better than it might otherwise have been, you're on the right track.

Follow whats beauty.

Got home from work this morning found a starling trapped in the chook shed between the corry and chicken wire. Theyll try and exploit any way into a chook shed possible.  Rescue #3 in a bit over half a day.

One thing ive noticed about moving from the mainland to Tas is the introduced species are far more invasive and dominating.  Must be an island thing id say.  

On 02/11/2018 at 9:47 AM, Halcyon Daze said:

I have a couple of old magpies I feed a little bit of meat on a daily basis every time I feed the dogs. It will be sad when they finally die. The big old male (named two-toe) has a permanently injured foot but it doesn't affect him much at all. Just gives him character. They breed every season and never ever swoop us.

The other day two-toe came up beside me while gardening and started  mimicking! It was absolutely incredible. I never even knew maggies could do it.  The wonderful, bizzare, and beautiful sounds coming out of that bird was absolutely mind-blowing. A mix of familiar bird calls, and sounds from another dimension. I shyt you not, I was completely  stunned by what I heard from that Magpie. They come a very close second to a lyrebird IMO, and probably very few people even know they can do it.

I felt like I was treated to something special that day, and I'll honestly never forget it. 

I'll never see the humble old Maggie in the same way again. My new favourite bird :)

I, too, have heard these other worldly sounds a magpie can make. Sounds like I hear in ceremony. Sounds from another world. Sounds that say to me, Wake Up! There is more to this world than meets the eye! "

• Like 1

I visit Aus from time to time from the US and one of the most special treats I look forward to is the birds. AUS has bird life like the US must have had 200 yrs ago. I mean that the birds there are not YET completely shell shocked by the cruelty of modern humans (&their pets). Birds there still have a sense of thriving, of living a sustainable life.
I'm a bird watcher and DO see special birds occasionally in the US and in India but it's nothing like the bird interactions that I've had down under.

I know can be contentious but I will say it anyway: I think that cats are one of the main reasons why bird life gets decimated by humans. I have seen plenty kittens who spent every waking moment stalking and killing birds just cause, not because they're hungry. ALL pet cats should be fitted with bells IMO. They will still catch rodents wearing a bell.

On 25/10/2018 at 1:20 PM, Glaukus said:

Recently I have been experiencing visitations by birds on a daily basis. Most notably magpies, but also king parrots and crows. One magpie in particular is now so comfortable that he will eat from my hand. I call him Claude. 

King parrots are also making daily visits. Crows watch from a distance but are very vocal.

This is a new occurrence that started a month or so ago, and it seems to hold some importance, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

Magpies seem to be associated with a message to focus on spiritual pursuits rather than material ones (I'm hardly a materialistic person so I think there's something I'm missing). Parrots are associated with the need to be watchful and alert. 

These are the typical associations in dreams anyway. But my visitations are physical, so I wonder if there is more to the picture.

Does anyone have any experience with bird visitation and their symbology?

Birds are definitely messengers.. I noticed them a lot after my brother died and a friend in Europe - whose dad died when she was younger - vividly remembers a whole flock doing something quite bizarre.

Crow is Trickster :) I’ve only ever had them watch me from afar (they’re very very clever). Magpie is related to Crow though.. I was reading about this because Crow is one of the totem animals of the Aboriginal tribes/cultures in my area:

“The various groups of Western Australia offer two versions of the same story about the Crow and the Magpie. The crow and the magpie are brothers, both born with pure white feathers. Both were vain and would argue as to which was the most beautiful. Perched in a tree, they began to argue and then fought. 

The people with the crow as their totem will tell you the brothers fell into a fire below, the Crow getting burnt all over, the Magpie only partly burnt. Those whom have the magpie as their totem will tell the story the same, but that the brothers fell into thick black mud, and the magpie only slightly stained his feathers, the crow covered in the mud.

As for the crow, as in all Indigenous Australian totems, it is known for its cunning and intelligence, a trickster too, and old spirit with prescient knowledge or carrying old knowledge of many lifetimes (like reincarnation). Very powerful too, as in the totem itself is one of the ones with powerful natural magic, and depending on the language groups own mythology the holder of the totem will either carry great respect, or suspect.” (Wikipedia)

I’m not sure at all about parrots.

Crow/Magpie are of course Raven family, and some of my all-time favourite cards are Native American animals. I can send you pics of the chapter on Raven if you like :)

• Like 3

One of the highlights of my visits to Australia is watching, listening and even interacting with the Magpies there. They are something special. Nowhere else in the world have I seen or heard of birds like these. They have an otherwordliness to them that reminds me of experiences with Ayahu. . . . On one visit a certain Magpie would come right up to me and take food from me. I saw other Magpies watch it from a distance. It was kinda awkward walking and flying like it was a little dumb or a little "special." I got a sense that the other Magpie's were watching over it but it had no fear. I love these birds! What great wealth to have them around! I could listen to them talk to each other for hours. I can hear the special sounds they make, in my head right now. lol. Looking forward to seeing them again.

Long and the short of this is that any visitation by them is certainly a spiritual calling in my book. Take the next step, you know what it is that they're calling you to do.

• Like 3

Our resident Magpies are starting to age drastically  and I think 2019 is the year at least one of them will go.

How can I look after or help a bird if I find it getting sick or attacked by the currawongs etc? Should I take it to the vet, or let nature do it's course, or try to take care of it myself in it's last days? Cheers :)

• Like 1

Hey Halc, without wanting to get into the morality of feeding birds, some old or injured birds can benefit with some free nutrition once in a while and close water supply, saving energy otherwise used for hunting for healing.  Mince meat for protein.  

Once the rest catch on it could get out of hand, see if you can help on the sly.  Of course they catch on quick.

Peace and ease to the birds

• Like 4