The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Gimli

Pruning Trichocereus roots

Up potted a bunch of seedlings (10-15cm) yesterday and today to pots only 1 size up instead of final pot size. Most seedlings had some of their root mass removed (re fibrous stuff but NOT the main taproot). Is this a practice that many do or is it a case of just get bigger pots?

Couldn't find much info on cacti root pruning. Contemplating doing this to all the stock which have grafts on top so I can go to the next forestry tube size and continue to use the handy dandy pot trays I have

Can see it being a bonus to stop roots of certain spp (ario, astro etc) rotting as easily?

Thoughts/suggestions

I have literally grow many of my Trichocereus in a bog without ever trimming their roots. In fact, growing in a bog like that tends to stunt their roots.

If your roots are root bound, it is common practice to cut through them or untangle them so as to free them up, but I can't see doing anything more than that. Light pinch off the bottom of the roots or and run your fingers through the sides of the roots. If the roots are too small to do that you can use another tool like a chopstick, etc. This applies to other plants besides just cacti as well.

If you want to prune your Astrophytum tap roots on the other hand go right ahead as I have seen Astrophytum grown hydroponically that way as it is the finer roots that you need in home cultivation. 

StillgrowinInDaBog Like A Boss copy.jpg

1176528971_StillgrowinInDaBogLikeABosscopy.thumb.jpg.fc3e34877b53db890f1ef237c4dff43c.jpg

1176528971_StillgrowinInDaBogLikeABosscopy.thumb.jpg.fc3e34877b53db890f1ef237c4dff43c.jpg

• Like 1