The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
squidgygoanna

Favourite Ethnobotany related books?

Besides the obvious Encyclopedia of Psychoactives, what are your favourite Ethnobotany related books?

Currently reading One River by Wade Davis, details the work of Richard Schultes aswell as his own ethnobotanical adventures. Very interesting stuff

currently reading 'Tales of a Shaman's Apprentice' by another of Schulte's proteges, Mark Plotkin...interesting.

Although his works are now widely considered to be at least partly fictional, the first three books by Carlos Castenada 

changed everything for me (way back then).

• Like 1

Id be interesting in getting a few of these books too! Look forward to seeing everyones recommendations 

• Like 2

Although his works are now widely considered to be at least partly fictional, the first three books by Carlos Castenada 

changed everything for me (way back then).

yes me too, but actually the 4th book is the most important and delivers a fully articulated, cogent philosophical system that i suspect has its roots in transcendental idealism.

a cactus odyssey is a rippa, and is freely available as a pdf on the web. Gathering the Desert by Gary Paul Nabhan, is a beautiful read.

edit to agree that One River is superb.

Edited by Micromegas
  • Like 3

"One River" is my favorite book of all time! Anything by Wade Davis is good and his two books about the Haitian zombie is pretty interesting. Also Snu's "Garden of Eden" is top notch! "ethnobotany evolution of a discipline" is another favorite. 

Edited by Teotzlcoatl
  • Like 1

PLANTS USED BY AMAZON SHAMANS IN THE AYAHUASCA DRINK by Luis Alberto Lopez Vinatea

This hard to find little book covers over 120 plants that are known to be used in the Ayahuasca potions of Peru. Lists the scientific name of each plant, plant family it belongs to, common and indigenous names, geographical distribution, chemical composition, herbariums where voucher specimens are deposited, and its reported effect as an additive to the brew. Introduction and a brief overview of the ayahuasca phenomenon in Spanish. A good hard to find reference source. Softcover, 80 pages $12.50 (8 oz) Sale Price $9.50

Sourced @ https://sacredsucculents.com/books-products/

Would be happy to buy it but seller doesn't respond on request. Who has it? Hope there is one who would be glad sharing a scan of it with the whole community.