The Corroboree
TheMooseZeus

Serious Slug problem - Solution needed!

Hello!

I have a really terrible slug problem, I go outside every night and execute 15 or so slugs on my plants in under 5 minutes.

Can anyone recommend me a good and safe slug repellant or recipe and even plants i could use to deter them?

- Me and my plants thank you

• Like 1

If the plants are in pots or raised beds, a copper tape perimeter works a treat. Otherwise, you can get those aluminium sulphate based pellets that will kill slugs and snails but won't harm most wildlife or pets. 

• Like 2

Beer traps.... Drown them. Not the be all end all... Just another tool. 

Edit - a vegemite "soup" works also, they chase after the yeast

Also look around for a source spot they are coming from.... Boards, bricks, compost bins ect... If there's something close disturb it often (flip over boards ect) and target it. 

Edited by waterboy 2.0

Mmmm beer traps.  That must be the most humane way to die.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got the same issue, little fuckers taking out my veg seedlings and some natives seedlings too.  Vote one beer traps, but also by hand at night by torch light ( best after rain).  I make little roofs with a larger container propped over the top supported by icy pole sticks so the beer doesnt get dilute with rain. Coopers ultra lite is about $7 a half D at Safeway or a home brew.

• Like 1

I have used builders lime on snails in an orchard. You would need to make a puffer out of plastic bottle. It was very effective at killing them with direct contact. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, The Breeze said:

I have used builders lime on snails in an orchard. You would need to make a puffer out of plastic bottle. It was very effective at killing them with direct contact. 

My current solutions is actually not too bad... After dinner every night i go out with the snips and cut the guys heads offs, it seems to have made quite an impact.

Im down from 30 slugs a night to 5 even with all the rain

• Like 2

hahaha Moose! Yeah my garden keeps getting eaten by snails too, I currently pick them off by hand and introduce them to the sole of my foot - BAMMM!

I was that infuriated with them one day I crushed them with my bare hands and had them all through my fingers.

I don't like playing the role of God. Sad, I wish there was another way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thegreenriviera said:

hahaha Moose! Yeah my garden keeps getting eaten by snails too, I currently pick them off by hand and introduce them to the sole of my foot - BAMMM!

I was that infuriated with them one day I crushed them with my bare hands and had them all through my fingers.

I don't like playing the role of God. Sad, I wish there was another way.

Sounds like you do like playing God!

I'm joking of course, it's hard to remain mindful while committing mass homicide of a species :(

The ants seem to love them so they aren't going to waste...

One day i went out and saw 20-30 slugs cascading down my fence from my neighbours garden... I had a field day :devil::uzi:

9 minutes ago, TheMooseZeus said:

Sounds like you do like playing God!

I'm joking of course, it's hard to remain mindful while committing mass homicide of a species :(

The ants seem to love them so they aren't going to waste...

One day i went out and saw 20-30 slugs cascading down my fence from my neighbours garden... I had a field day :devil::uzi:

hahaha "Fuck off back over the fence you little bastards!"

Well truth be told, I find a mild satisfaction in removing the problem from my lovely garden however, I would much prefer there to be an inexistent problem to deal with at first instance.

.......      !!!!!!!!!!

:innocent_n:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thegreenriviera said:

hahaha "Fuck off back over the fence you little bastards!"

Well truth be told, I find a mild satisfaction in removing the problem from my lovely garden however, I would much prefer there to be an inexistent problem to deal with at first instance.

.......      !!!!!!!!!!

:innocent_n:

I'm planting some marigolds now too... Might help to keep the blood off my hands

On 28/09/2018 at 7:58 AM, hashslingr said:

If the plants are in pots or raised beds, a copper tape perimeter works a treat. Otherwise, you can get those aluminium sulphate based pellets that will kill slugs and snails but won't harm most wildlife or pets. 

I'm using copper tape at the moment, it really seems to work though slugs are coming in from above so i have to be careful 

The dryer, warmer weather seems to attract the big guns... Oddly enough, they seem to stay clear of my plants and eat the rotting mulch around them.

Still yet to find a slug immune to the boot...

• Like 1

On 16/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, TheMooseZeus said:

I'm planting some marigolds now too... Might help to keep the blood off my hands

Very interesting... Marigolds are an effective mozzy repellent apparently and seem quite pretty also

Let us know how you go Moose!

Better than stepping on duck poos lol

Coincidentally after the frequent massacre, we're having a scarcity in pests 

.......for now     :uzi:

• Haha 1

Just now, thegreenriviera said:

Very interesting... Marigolds are an effective mozzy repellent apparently and seem quite pretty also

Let us know how you go Moose!

Better than stepping on duck poos lol

Coincidentally after the frequent massacre, we're having a scarcity in pests 

.......for now     :uzi:

Its a bit of an misconception about marigolds keeping slugs and snails off plants... They deter aphids and flies apparently!

My frogs got a little frisky not long ago so i set up a little "pond" in the garden for their tadpoles, hopefully the frogs survive the kookaburras and get to the slugs asap 

2 minutes ago, TheMooseZeus said:

Its a bit of an misconception about marigolds keeping slugs and snails off plants... They deter aphids and flies apparently!

My frogs got a little frisky not long ago so i set up a little "pond" in the garden for their tadpoles, hopefully the frogs survive the kookaburras and get to the slugs asap 

Ahhh, see the doberman keeps larger birds away from our yard as we have a tranquil koi pond feeding the garden.

When pests, especially snails enter the pond the koi snap em up leaving nothing but their shells to block the pump (dammit!)

The bloody snails do that and they eat all our best plants (they must know something)...

If only koi had legs and could breathe our air...

Mutant koi + pesky snails = a shitload of snail shells !  lol

12 minutes ago, TheMooseZeus said:

Might do some research and introduce a smaller frog species so they dont eat the fish and take care of the slugs and snails

• Like 1

How about Blue tongues do they eat slugs?  Id been putting all the skinks i found chopping wood over in the vege patch.  So far ive only seen them going after tiny clumps of hovering thrips.

I think Blue Toungues eat snails at least, not sure if they hang around in a garden frequented by people traffic. Some resident blotched blue tongues could be handy pest control.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Humbolt said:

How about Blue tongues do they eat slugs?  Id been putting all the skinks i found chopping wood over in the vege patch.  So far ive only seen them going after tiny clumps of hovering thrips.

I think Blue Toungues eat snails at least, not sure if they hang around in a garden frequented by people traffic. Some resident blotched blue tongues could be handy pest control.

No doubt they'll do the job, might trample a few things though

Blue tongues will smash snails for sure, will presume slugs but may not smash into the small ones, they will eat strawberries the buggers. 

Edited by waterboy 2.0

I've never really had a slug problem, so are only speaking from distant academic, memory's from a seriously abused mind.

Crushed egg shells and coffee grounds are both supposed to help.

On 16/10/2018 at 1:26 PM, TheMooseZeus said:

I'm planting some marigolds now too

I think marigolds, along with things like comfrey are used as trap plants in a 'push pull' system. Slugs make their home in them during the day. In permaculture you would plant them near a frog pond, or over the fence in your duck yard. I think Mollison spoke about it in one of his lectures, but I don't remember which one, or even if it was someone else like Lawton.

If anyone is interested I can post the lecture series and you's can go through them yourselves.