The Corroboree
Buddha Time

Getting into cactuses

*Sorry of this is the wrong place to post but it seems fitting* Heyo y'all,so after some poking around and doing a little bit of research,I have come to the conclusion that I want to try my hand at some cactus growing. Eventually I will make my way to the nursery and pick up some cuttings or seeds for such,most likely a bridgesii, but here's where you lovely people come in, while looking at the site I noticed that there's a little selection of these bridgesii to choose from, I could just google what type is good for a beginner or if there is a type to avoid but I decided to make a post here and ask around since you peoples seem to know whats up about cacti and I would love to be more active in this kick ass community. So I would very much appreciate it if any of you would just have some input for a new aspiring cactus dude. Thanks for your time and have a awesome weekend~BT 

• Like 1

There's no single clone that's better than all the rest. There's pros and cons for each and every type. So don't think that you can stick to just a few awesome types and not waste time on the others. It's not really like that. Just get hold of a nice variety of different clones and you will learn from and appreciate each one in it's own special ways. Even common old PC is good for some things, especially if you get a ute load for free.

Having said all that there are a few all round tried and true standouts that will always satisfy your cactus growing interest.  1 in particular is Psycho0. It's just a great performer that deserves a place in any cacti collection.

However, this list of recommendations will quickly explode to include almost every clone there is.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just get them all:P...Welcome to the forums bro..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, there is an endless wave of amazing stuff available right now and I wouldn´t be able to pick. It´s a great time to be a cactus grower and I am sure you´ll find some truly amazing clones in the community. The SAB webshop has a lot of good plants and there´s also lots of choice seed sellers that have some incredible crosses available right now.  It´s a great hobby.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To the excellent advice already offered above,  I would also recommend growing from seed. You can get a lot of plants relatively cheaply, with a little patience. Seedlings are fairly resilient and you can learn as you go. And as an added bonus you might turn up a crested, monstrous or variegated phenotype.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Xperiment said:

To the excellent advice already offered above,  I would also recommend growing from seed. You can get a lot of plants relatively cheaply, with a little patience. Seedlings are fairly resilient and you can learn as you go. And as an added bonus you might turn up a crested, monstrous or variegated phenotype.

Growing from seed is indeed the easiest way to grow an army of variegates, crested, etc. I'm a big proponent of growing from seed as you get to see the various phenotypes available in a single batch and more importantly... the best ones haven't been picked out for some other persons private collection.

When you grow from seed you have the opportunity to get some of the finest cacti you can possibly hope to encounter and at a bargain price. On the plus side, growing from seed also affords you the opportunity to learn to graft to expedite some of your seedlings growth. With that being said, you may want to purchase more seed than you plan on growing out if you will account for a few failed graft attempts along the way.

One of my latest seedlings...

jourdaniana21sept.jpg

jourdaniana21sept.thumb.jpg.19f1452fdc0535b38cea69c0b453053f.jpg

jourdaniana21sept.thumb.jpg.19f1452fdc0535b38cea69c0b453053f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for all your replies and advice, helped me clear up some gray areas about it all and I can't wait to get into my new hobby. Cheers everyone.

• Like 1

May I ask what part of Queensland you are in, Buddha Time?