The Corroboree
Sarcophilus

Agara & Ereriba

Used by natives in Papua, the two combined, boiled and imbibed apparently causes incredibly strong intoxication, followed by deep sleep filled with visions and vivid dreams. 

From what I’ve read so far, between the two plants there is some 30 alkaloids, a few of which are muscarinic antagonists. Though the primary alkaloids behind the psychoactive effects are unknown. 

Can anyone shed some more light, or better yet has anyone had any experience with Agara, Galbulimima belgraveana (White Magnolia), and Ereriba, Homalomena spp. ??

• Like 5

I remember doing a bunch of research on this a few years ago. From memory I could never find much information on the Homalomena. Every article mentioned the genus but never the exact species used in the brew. I vaguely recall reading that the natives had been asked but refused to disclose any more info. This was years ago, so there might be some new information available or something I might have missed. Definitely an interesting subject.

Galbulimima bark is supposedly partially active on its own. Never tried it myself due to the lack of reports. I believe there were some bio-assays done by SAB members a while ago

Edited by squidgygoanna
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, squidgygoanna said:

I remember doing a bunch of research on this a few years ago. From memory I could never find much information on the Homalomena. Every article mentioned the genus but never the exact species used in the brew. I vaguely recall reading that the natives had been asked but refused to disclose any more info.

Seems we ran into the same problem, as this is where I’m also stuck.

I haven’t been able to find much information regarding how widespread through the region its use is either, so further narrowing down Homalomena has come to a halt at 19 possible species throughout New Guinea.

Definitely all very interesting, I’ll have to have a bit more of a dig. 

Thanks for the reply.

• Like 2

This is the first I've herd of it. My only comment is that tbe relvant plants need to be distributed widely outside PNG before any concrete evi of their affe are known :-)

• Like 2