The Corroboree
Gimli

Perth Beekeepers

Hey guys,

Just seeing if there are any beeks in Perth within the ranks? Just getting into it and looking to make friends. A bee friend took me to do hive inspections recently and was instantly hooked!

Picking up all the gear to put together a hive this weekend and then hopefully a mate can sort me out with a nuc hive to get it going. Getting a full depth 8 frame for brood and a 8 frame wsp as a super. So much to learn. Sitting here eating freshly harvested comb while watching videos and reading

:)

• Like 4

Ps if any Perth members have a swarm of bees, my mate and I can come collect and give them a good home and put them to work

No chemicals and no exterminating :)

• Like 1

Hey Gimli. Good luck mate. My dad was an apiarist shifting around 1000+ hives to follow the blooms in SE QLD and Northern NSW. He got out of it when the drought which started in the early 90's decimated his hives and he eventually sold what was left. 

I always toyed with the idea of getting a hive or 2 just for family and friends, but never got round to it . Hope all goes well for ya.

Off on a bit of a tangent but check this out Gimli.

http://www.biancoprojects.com/vessels-of-care-and-control/

An apiarist and bioartist from SymbioticA lab here at UWA used a bee hive to drive a tissue culture incubator.

This is just a brief synopsis but there's more info about if you're curious.

SymbioticA do some really interesting stuff like growing and eating the very first Petri dish grown steak.  

Did one of their units and their very interesting people and always get you thinking outside the box.

• Like 3

I had bees over east, but nothing yet in WA, Id love to get back into it though in the future.

Nothing better than fresh burr comb :P

Good luck with it - it's addictive!