The Corroboree
Average Joe

Lion's Mane Supplements

Does anyone use a reputable seller for Lions Mane Hericium erinaceus Supplements? or experience with using them, benefits and so on?

• Like 1

Host Defence (search ebay) is the company that stamets grow for or owns, and would be the most reputable.

they have a high price tag, but when worked out on a daily cost it less than cup of coffee.

I do not have experience in the usage but.

Reishi is my mushroom favourite. i have been taking Reishi for over 18 months now and have

not even sniffle this winter and have experienced many other benefits.

there are some good suppliers of mushrooms in India that sell caps or in powder forms.

just as a note when stated 13:1 or 10:1 extract, this is the amount of mushroom in one part of

product. eg 10:1 = 10gms of mushroom in 1gm of product 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lindsay said:

Host Defence (search ebay) is the company that stamets grow for or owns, and would be the most reputable.

they have a high price tag, but when worked out on a daily cost it less than cup of coffee.

I do not have experience in the usage but.

Reishi is my mushroom favourite. i have been taking Reishi for over 18 months now and have

not even sniffle this winter and have experienced many other benefits.

there are some good suppliers of mushrooms in India that sell caps or in powder forms.

just as a note when stated 13:1 or 10:1 extract, this is the amount of mushroom in one part of

product. eg 10:1 = 10gms of mushroom in 1gm of product 

6 hours ago, Responsible Choice said:

Superfeast here in Oz goes good:

https://www.superfeast.com.au/collections/all/products/lions-mane-mushroom-powdered-extract

Haven't tried the LM, but I've given the Reishi a good knock. Wicked miron glass jars too :wink:

Thanks guys, i did find a few blends with both varieties of mushroom. I will go with Stamets and drop a report in a month if anyone would be interested. 

I use LM from piping rock, they seem legit and cheapest.

Being in the expensive land of Oz we're inclined to spot the bargains

• Like 1

I grow Lions Mane and make my own capsules from the fruiting bodies for myself and friends/family.

Be careful with mushroom supplements made from imported Chinese ingredients, a few have been found to have high levels of heavy metals, lead, etc from air pollution.

You'll also want to look at what the capsules contain. Most (including Host Defence) are made from myceliated brown rice, which is essentially ground up mushroom spawn and does not contain any actual fruiting bodies, cheaper to produce but you're paying for what is essentially capsules of brown rice flour with a small amount of Lions Mane mycelium.

Russell and the team at Aussi Mushroom Supplies are getting close to launching their own line of mushroom supplements, would definitely recommend checking them out

Edited by squidgygoanna
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, squidgygoanna said:

I grow Lions Mane and make my own capsules from the fruiting bodies for myself and friends/family.

Be careful with mushroom supplements made from imported Chinese ingredients, a few have been found to have high levels of heavy metals, lead, etc from air pollution.

You'll also want to look at what the capsules contain. Most (including Host Defence) are made from myceliated brown rice, which is essentially ground up mushroom spawn and does not contain any actual fruiting bodies, cheaper to produce but you're paying for what is essentially capsules of brown rice flour with a small amount of Lions Mane mycelium.

Russell and the team at Aussi Mushroom Supplies are getting close to launching their own line of mushroom supplements, would definitely recommend checking them out

Thanks for your comment, that's the sort of thing i worry about when buying in capsule form. I just want the damn mushroom... I might look into growing my own. What's your experience with growing them in regards to difficulty?

Lions mane are relatively easy to grow, I've grown on both pasteurized straw and supplemented sawdust substrate. It also fruits pretty well straight out of grain jars/bags

• Like 1

you can get grain spawn here but is Hericium Coralloides not Hericium erinaceus.

Can any one tell me has Hericium Coralloides the same benfits as Hericium erinaceus.

http://www.aussimushroomsupplies.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=101_127&product_id=677

i grew Hericium erinaceus from a culture i got from someone here. i would love get my hands on it again. 

gallery_13960_786_116359.jpg

• Like 1

It's believed that all mushrooms in the genus Hericium contain Erinacines and share the same medicinal compounds.

From a paper on H. Corraloides

Three new natural products, corallocins A–C (13), along with two known compounds were isolated from the mushroom Hericium coralloides. Their benzofuranone and isoindolinone structures were elucidated by spectral methods. All corallocins induced nerve growth factor and/or brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression in human 1321N1 astrocytes. Furthermore, corallocin B showed antiproliferative activity against HUVEC and human cancer cell lines MCF-7 and KB-3-1.

Edited by squidgygoanna
  • Like 1

I occasionally have spare packs of dehydrated home grown lions mane that I give to friends and family for use in tinctures/capsules, if anyone is interested feel free to PM me and we can arrange a trade or something

20180916_205628.jpg

20180916_205628.thumb.jpg.459a85cfeb1bb74ee37d99bd3e1e7edc.jpg

20180916_205628.thumb.jpg.459a85cfeb1bb74ee37d99bd3e1e7edc.jpg

• Like 2

It is easy to make your own supplements at home if your familiar with establishing a clean culture on agar. If not than might not be the best idea high bacteria count in your spawn and you’ll be dosing that as well but otherwise easy to do

theres a brand in the USA called “om” that’s affordable however. They used to have a diff name can’t recall atm 

lion mane and psilocybin have been paired together as nootropic and shown good results it’s gaining popularity 

• Like 1