The Corroboree
DiscoStu

Ethics of guerilla gardening

Hi just wondering what yor thoughts are on guerilla gardening? Good bad ugly?

Overgrow:wink: horticultural defiance. 

Avoid weeds,  species with weedy potential. Some have different aims, food or flowers, natives ect. 

Had a different connotation when I was a pup:lol:

• Like 1

Be careful of waste runoff in native bush land areas. High nutrient runoff, especially phosphorus, will kill many natives. This will leave an obvious scar on any aerial images, leading to a guerilla plot.

Or are we not talking about that kind of guerilla gardening?

Lol i left it deliberately vague to get peoples thoughts unecumbered by by the shackles of definitions. Mostly the ethics are universal i think

• Like 2

Oh and yeah i was def thinking of bush settings. Suburbia is already trash so who gives a shit

Some ecologies would be more robust. 

But nutrient is a big factor in the mostly ancient  aussie deficient soils, and how that Impacts the native assemblage if enriching, and give advantages to weed Incursions... And weed growing... Lol:wink:

Rodent control in clandestine grows has caused widespread issues in a few countries... So there is potential for fauna impacts. Could think of others... 

Suburbia is the mainstay of where the "lets use this wasted space" folk are greening, and it's an interesting thing. Generally they just seed and go, rather than improve for increased production and then crop protection methods. 

• Like 1

I've often thought a good guerilla tactic would be to throw poppy seed out of the car window while driving. They'd survive the harsh roadside conditions, and spread along with the wind. But they'd definitely become a weed, so probably high unethical from an environmental standpoint.

• Like 1

Big fan of both old school and the trendy variety. If we're talking the latter, I do think you should put a lot of thought in to what species you use, and collect seeds locally. It would really suck to be a modern day Reginald Mungomery (well intentioned man, responsible for cane toads). Good bush targets are the many, badly managed and abandoned council sites, like old road fill quarries. Then there's all that degraded farmland. Eroded gullies and totally, cleared creek banks, seem like particularly tempting, clay ball, bomb sites. Probably more controversial sites are those mistakenly thought of as pristine, like rain-forests. Many of which have been heavily logged of their upper canopy species. Some of these species have been cleared from such a large area, they can never regenerate on their own.  

As for old school. Not really ethics, more of a common scene thing, but the law usually looks on it more favourably than the alternative. For instance in the N.T. 2 big, plants, grown outdoors, in the ground, gets you an on the spot fine. 2 little hydro plants, in your cupboard, lands you in court. However large scale seeding could be more of an ethical issue. This plant is invasive, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Valley_cannabis_infestation, and the government tends to take a scorched earth approach when they find out.

• Like 1

Definitely depends on what your growing and where. For instance... if one was mass sowing pejuta along the Texas border... the cacti is already indigenous there so no real harm. 

• Like 1

I've thrown seeds around the neighborhood before, native local species of vines and shrubs etc. Not even sure if anything survived but it seems like a good idea when you have excess seeds.

Now that non-drug hemp seed is available on ebay it opens the door for some funny pranks to ensue.

Maybe a nice row in the local show garden at 'garden-carnival' time. LOL

Fully labelled of course :devil:

Edited by Halcyon Daze

32 minutes ago, Halcyon Daze said:

Now that non-drug hemp seed is available on ebay it opens the door for some funny pranks to ensue.

Quite some years ago a certain mid-north coast police station was found to be growing 'hemp' right in their front yard.  I believe there was even a local newspaper story to boot. :lol:

47 minutes ago, SayN said:

Quite some years ago a certain mid-north coast police station was found to be growing 'hemp' right in their front yard.  I believe there was even a local newspaper story to boot. :lol:

Go Coffs Harbour!!!!

• Like 1

For those not familiar with the clay ball method.

• Like 1