The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Aging and drugs

I'm confused. I mean more so than usual.

OKOK I can accept that it takes longer for me to recover from scarfing down huge amounts of comestible items. And even that as I get older my sense of time passing has changed so that fitting time in to get seriously bent has seemed harder. And even that maybe since I scared myself a few years ago by scarfing down inhuman quantities of select comestibles has seriously reduced my desire to consume at all...

But caffeine? Fucken caffeine? This is as low as it gets. I used to drink 8-9 cups a day and cut down eight years ago to 3 to go easy on my liver. Now I'm at the point where drinking coffee after dark is a serious nono cos I'm up half the night. I'm becoming a huge fucken flower...

Is my drop in consumption of coffee responsible for the increase in effects because of lowered tolerance? Or is it because I'm not overloading myself on an hourly basis with a dictionary of heavy duty chems resulting in me being more caffeine sensitive? Or am I just getting old? Eeee-fucken-keeeek!

Have any other people out there noticed a significant change in consumption and effects of mind altering substances over the years, and are they consistent enough amongst us to allow us to realise any patterns?

I wonder if drug tolerance in mid life is inversely proportional to the amount of drugs one takes when younger?

I haven't been able to drink coffee for years (not even tea), it takes me 3 days to recover from an e, half a beer gives me a hangover, and I fall asleep on psychedelics.

No wonder I have this driving quest to explore new psychoactive plants

I found that simply not taking anything is OK too and after a while the body is more prepared for a renewed attack. Take a break.

[ 26. January 2005, 21:22: Message edited by: Torsten ]

Torsten:

I found that simply not taking anything is OK too and after a while the body is more prepared for a renewed attack. Take a break.

Yeah, its funny. I enjoy not being trashed so much these days that sometimes even considering indulgence is a nuisance. Maybe it's just a phase... I'll be the first in the retirement home to demand to see the pharmacist's menu.

I don't have a problem with not indulging, it's as viable a choice as choosing to consume IMO and in this part of the world choosing to abstain isn't a social problem ( like that would make any difference )

But if the effect of a simple cuppa is anything to go by I should be cutting any future considerations in half, dose-wise. I drank an instant coffee at 6 and here I am near midnight, ticking over like a truckie's odometer. Frightening really

hi people ..intresting points both of you make ,i myself suffer from the same conditions you both have described ,makes me now think about torstens comment about his quest for new plants . maybe its time to try the ones that have generally described as dangerous but seem for some reason used by a culture for a long time and mainly by the older shaman or tribe .

mmmm?????

Although I am much younger, I can sort of relate to you Darklight. When I first became interested in "this" I was throwing back anything I could get my hands on in any amount I get could get. For a while there it was all fun and games, but now that I've taken a more serious approach to them I find that my compulsion to take them has markedly diminished. Maybe this is just a part of growing up? Nothing has changed, I still have the time to spend 12+ hours out of it, but I just don't feel like it.

If anything it's a blessing. But I'm getting the impression you don't want to be like this? Maybe you should do what Torsten said, take a break and come back to it when you feel ready. Or maybe instead of trying to utilise time for them in your life you could devote a few days of your holidays to binging once a year or something.

BorgFace:

Maybe this is just a part of growing up?

It's not something I'd necessarily associate with ' growing up ' overall. I mean, yeah drugs are interesting, but a lot of other things in life are too. I'd be more worried if I'd allowed one aspect of life, whether its work, play, serious recreation or anything else to dominate my life for extended periods that add up to five years or more.

But I'm getting the impression you don't want to be like this?

Yeah, I kinda don't. It's more a niggle. The ability to say no when I want to shouldn't presuppose the ability to say yes at all. But then my life so far has never been able to find balance anywhere, and long term that's been a good thing too :D

Maybe you should do what Torsten said, take a break and come back to it when you feel ready.

Shit, I've been on a break for two or three years. I behave extravagantly three or four times a year at the absolute most. I don't crave a binge of any kind and I definitely don't desire one at all.

I consider my reluctance to consume comestibles akin to not letting myself go out to a party for years ( which I've done in the past ) - I know under the right circumstances solitude is good, but too much of any one thing can't be healthy, can it?

But thanks for your input there cob

im only young but im in the same shoes, i never had the urge to try drugs other then alchol when i was yonger, then i came across shamanism and ethnobotany. seriously shrooms once or twice a year is all for me, i only use when i feel i need a question answered. thats y i enjoy things like betel nuts,kava and things that dont have enourmas effect on me. i prefer growing all these things, i see gods in them. i could never give ethnobotany away though.............

ok i think i fucked up wat i was trying to say, this maoi is made me funny. a friend of my gf's eats no meats, dairy, wheat and no artificial stuff. she only eats a few things. the thing is now she cant eat other foods cos they make her feel sick. my diet is mainly friut and i had ice cream the other day and i felt sick from one bowl.

quote:

it takes longer for me to recover from scarfing

should see how long it took Michael Hutchinson to recover from scarfing.... :D

I drink brewed coffee in the morning and stay off the instant at work. Instant really knocks me around , sweaty , heart racing constant talking shit, etc.... Fresh coffe has a different effect , i can have an espresso after a good meal and a few reds and sleep like a baby within an hour , give me that evil international roast and i go back to vampire mode for a bit longer.

I used to drink ~8 cups of coffee a day for a few years until I started getting panic attacks.I found that brewed coffe was MUCH better than instant shit but I can't drink any now after giving it up.I gave e's away after sleeping for 16 hrs on 2 pills and thought WTF?

How many peeps feel the same way AND have taken/are taking pharmaceutical SSRI's?? Seriously I've become more sensitive to foods and other substances since I first took these and even now 2 years after stopping.

Lorax:be careful with rue if you're already taking MAOI's.

[ 27. January 2005, 11:52: Message edited by: Maca ]

I used to eat what I pleased with the exception of a few foods that gave me migraines. Recently I was advised by a naturopath to try an exclusion diet, I stopped eating wheat products and tried to stay away from gluten and dairy products as well. Now when I eat wheat and gluten products I notice a big difference and my body reacts much more than it ever did. It is like abstaining from theses things has increased my reaction to them.

I am also much more inclined to enjoy reading about someone elses experience than to actively seek out the experience myself, this might have something to do with the recovery period.

Don't worry about getting old, be happy you are getting wiser.

I take much less of everything. A slight alteration is perfect for me. I am btter grounded and can better incorporate in my life what I perceive.

[ 28. January 2005, 14:16: Message edited by: brian ]

for me last coffee or tea at 6pm or i'm up till 1am..having enjoyed a life of organic combustables any comsumption of anything fast leaves me very wired ..

as far as food goes (coffee doesnt count) i think my palate has been an ever changing thing since birth ..can remember heaps of food i ate when i was a kid that i just couldnt or wouldnt now ..probably burning up energy might have had something to do with it ..seems the plainer the food is the less i suffer from everything else .

does this make sense???