The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Grafting to old Pereskiopsis?

Theres this guy in the Pereskiopsis Grafting Group on facebook who swears that by grafting to old 'brown' pereskiopsis stems, like ones that have supported a scion for 8+ months, the new graft will be semi-permanent and the graft union wont tend to eventually fail.

I've only ever grafted to tender new growth and I've only seen people graft to tender new growth.

Has anyone grafted directly to an old woody stem? What was the outcome?

I find a single claim on facebook dubious but if there is even a chance it could let a pereskiopsis graft stay good for 2+ years it'd be worth a few trials.

On 6/30/2018 at 5:31 PM, Auxin said:

Theres this guy in the Pereskiopsis Grafting Group on facebook who swears that by grafting to old 'brown' pereskiopsis stems, like ones that have supported a scion for 8+ months, the new graft will be semi-permanent and the graft union wont tend to eventually fail.

I've only ever grafted to tender new growth and I've only seen people graft to tender new growth.

Has anyone grafted directly to an old woody stem? What was the outcome?

I find a single claim on facebook dubious but if there is even a chance it could let a pereskiopsis graft stay good for 2+ years it'd be worth a few trials.

Knowledge worth having is always worth a few trials if it is something your interested in. My suggestion, try it before you discount it.

For me, I find this is the easiest way to get a more long term stock for a seedling5b3ff5c27aae9_TrichocereusscopulicolaxTrichocereusterscheckii18.thumb.jpg.c3170b472cd6e983ff0a981b4bd70df1.jpg as shown here by a seedling that has been growing for some time on this old stock. Still, you could just as easily graft your root stock to your Pereskiopsis and then graft to that as I have done here5b3ff634447c9_6June18variegatedcrestedpachanoiareolegraft79daysold347.thumb.jpg.bb68e4e86fb5dd36e9a3066951096890.jpg

5b3ff5c27aae9_TrichocereusscopulicolaxTrichocereusterscheckii18.thumb.jpg.c3170b472cd6e983ff0a981b4bd70df1.jpg

5b3ff634447c9_6June18variegatedcrestedpachanoiareolegraft79daysold347.thumb.jpg.bb68e4e86fb5dd36e9a3066951096890.jpg

5b3ff5c27aae9_TrichocereusscopulicolaxTrichocereusterscheckii18.thumb.jpg.c3170b472cd6e983ff0a981b4bd70df1.jpg

5b3ff634447c9_6June18variegatedcrestedpachanoiareolegraft79daysold347.thumb.jpg.bb68e4e86fb5dd36e9a3066951096890.jpg

I tried it in spring, the failure rate was way higher and it tooks longer for the scion to grow. 

It also took longer for the peres and tge scion to connect.

Old peres was woody and fat.

The reason I did, because I had no fresh peres left.

I prefer younger peres after that experience.

• Like 1

Having made woody grafts... what you say meets up with everything I've also experienced so I'm inclined to believe you.

How does your union fail?

I haven't had long term failing yet, just some stalling within the first few weeks...some grew over it, one that i inspected had an infected graft union.

Did a few woody, haven't noticed much difference overall.

IME drought seems to have a negative effect.

Also root space.

UV or cold nights possibly, but could have been an acclimatization thing