The Corroboree
Rock.0

Climate Effect on Acacia Floribunda Alkaloids

Hey shamans. Someone I know has recently pruned their Acacia Floribunda, leaving quite a decent sized stack of branches full of phyllodes. I'm wondering with the very heavy rain recently, the phyllodes would currently contain active ingredients? The reason I'm asking is based on my very limited knowledge, that alkaloid content dramatically decreases following periods of rain and colder weather temperatures. Can anyone confirm this? 

Thanks Smile

Edited by Rock.0

I have a post from a few weeks back about the alkaloid content of Psychoria Viridis over a 22 hour period. The results show that there is a higher alkaloid content during the hottest parts of the day. This would imply that alkaloids are produced to protect the plant from UV radiation or maybe something less direct than that.

I don't know if Acacia would be the same though :)

I also believe it's best to prune your plans in hotter seasons so they plant has more energy to grow back and defend itself (From insects and invaders not the pruner)

Acacia Alkaloid profiles tend to be best in hot dry weather ime. Long periods of wet weather and also flowering may reduce some of the desired alkaloids. In saying this, I don't really have any experience with floribunda. The above holds true for obtusifolia and longifolia. 

But if you already have prunings you've got nothing to lose but time. It's all a learning experience.

Thanks Moose and Glaukus for your insights, you have confirmed what I have read about Acacias more generally. Time unfortunately isn't something I have an abundance of, but I'll gather up a small quantity of trimmings anyway and hopefully get around to working with them at some stage. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 11:14 AM, Rock.0 said:

Thanks Moose and Glaukus for your insights, you have confirmed what I have read about Acacias more generally. Time unfortunately isn't something I have an abundance of, but I'll gather up a small quantity of trimmings anyway and hopefully get around to working with them at some stage. 

Hope all goes well! I harvested a small amount of obtusifolia this winter too, i hope that's alright! :/

Good luck