The Corroboree

Any updates? I haven't attempted to germinate more seeds out of fear of wasting them :(

My "to try" list is:

- boiling water 

- Soaking

- Scarification / soak

- Chamomile soak and water

They seeds look similar to that of desmodium gangeticum, with those I break open the outer husk/seed pod with my finger nails & surface sow, and give em the hot water treatment with an overnight soak to allow them to absorb water, sprinkle a tiny amount of soil on top and keep moist, looking forward to obtaining seeds for phyllodium when they become available, keep me on the loop, good luck with germination,  :-) MU

• Like 1

On 27/01/2019 at 10:46 AM, moon_unit said:

They seeds look similar to that of desmodium gangeticum, with those I break open the outer husk/seed pod with my finger nails & surface sow, and give em the hot water treatment with an overnight soak to allow them to absorb water, sprinkle a tiny amount of soil on top and keep moist, looking forward to obtaining seeds for phyllodium when they become available, keep me on the loop, good luck with germination,  :-) MU

Is that in the right order or do you hot water treatment then sow? Or pour boiling water over the soil?

I poured boiling water onto the seeds in a container and have left them to soak overnight - one of which popped out of the inner seed casing and probably isn't viable!

If i ever do get any to grow and seed you'll be first in line!

Im running out of seed fast though with this failure rate

11 hours ago, TheMooseZeus said:

Is that in the right order or do you hot water treatment then sow? Or pour boiling water over the soil?

I poured boiling water onto the seeds in a container and have left them to soak overnight - one of which popped out of the inner seed casing and probably isn't viable!

If i ever do get any to grow and seed you'll be first in line!

Im running out of seed fast though with this failure rate

Sorry I wasn't really clear, I give them the hot water treatment prior to sowing, but have also had good results without any treatment, I find they can often take a while to germinate, I'm finding seeds I sowed in early Spring that are only starting to germinate now, how are you fixed for d.gangeticum seeds? I can send some your way next time i get seeds, good luck :-)

Treated a few seeds! Now the waiting game, hope the new greenhouse helps get those temps up 

Thanks so much for the info!

Never tried d.gangeticum but would love to sort something out with you next time you get your hands on some!

Hey Guys!!

I have had far too many projects on the go recently and have been running all over the country side so I haven't had a chance to try getting these beauties to germinate...

Hey Moon Unit... I have a few Phyllodium seeds I could spare if you wanted to try your hand at germinating them as I'm currently not around enough to give them the proper attention they deserve...

Looking fowards to hearing how you went with your various treatments MooseZues!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Hey Guys!!

I have had far too many projects on the go recently and have been running all over the country side so I haven't had a chance to try getting these beauties to germinate...

Hey Moon Unit... I have a few Phyllodium seeds I could spare if you wanted to try your hand at germinating them as I'm currently not around enough to give them the proper attention they deserve...

Looking fowards to hearing how you went with your various treatments MooseZues!

Ohh thanks @Mango for the generous offer, I’d be very keen to give em a go, I’ll pm you, cheers MU

Darren from Herbalistics just posted a picture of a Phyllodium Pullchellum seedling on their instagram and facebook page.

Someone asked if plants would be available soon and they said

"J
ust learning from it, working out seed germination and seedling growth. We do have Desmodium gangeticum plants this season too."

• Like 2

Hey Folias,

Thanks for the update, this is excellent news!!

They are obviously doing something right, that looks like a very healthy specimen indeed!!

Mango

Herbalistics just made a post about germination.

"Not a very interesting looking picture but these are germinating Phyllodium pulchellum seeds. A few tests and I’ve discovered that seeds older than a month or so enter a dormancy and hot water treatment helps to break it. Just boil the kettle, then hit the seeds with hot water for a soak for a few hours before planting."

• Like 1

I guess the results speak for themselves!!

Might be time to try out that hot water treatment!

Thanks Folias!

Getting germination roughly 6-7 weeks after seeds being hot water treated and sown

20191023_152232.jpg

20191023_152232.thumb.jpg.5630f9332f5a3aea53fda2795f0b9f09.jpg

20191023_152232.thumb.jpg.5630f9332f5a3aea53fda2795f0b9f09.jpg

Edited by Trichocybin

10 minutes ago, Trichocybin said:

Getting germination roughly 6-7 weeks after seeds being hot water treated and sown

20191023_152232.jpg

Thats great news! My final lot of seeds were hot water treated and have been in soil for just under a month at this point. Here's hoping

Some people are saying the arkham botanicals seeds are not phyllodium.

Hi peeps!

Great to see some interest in this plant!

I distributed some seed of this plant back in 2008 and 2010.

Included some germination tips in the OP for those interested.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?/topic/17008-introducing-a-new-friend/

First thing I suggest is a short (5 min or so) 3% h2o2 bath to kill any pathogens or mold that may have hitch hiked on the pods or seeds, followed by a good wash to flush the peroxide. Scarification with sand paper is usually enough to ensure germination, although a hot water soak can help swell the beans and give visual confirmation the seeds are ready to go. The hot water soak is not absolutely necessary though as long as the seed coat is scratched up goodly. 

Seedlings are particularly fond of humidity and warmth. As they get older they become more tolerant to the ambient environment. I'm in S.E QLD and have had to use a humidity dome to keep seedlings from wilting. The healthiest seedlings I have grown this year were using the take away tek, in the same conditions I used to germinate lophs and tricho's. Never had this problem back in 2008 and 2010 but the ambient humidity is much lower now due to the drought I guess.

Neway, hope some of this rambling is useful to peeps. :wub: :worship:

• Like 2

Thanks for the info Entity.. I sowed a bunch of these a few weeks back but didn't scratch em up. Do you think I'll still get a few to pop? 

9 hours ago, Pedro99 said:

Thanks for the info Entity.. I sowed a bunch of these a few weeks back but didn't scratch em up. Do you think I'll still get a few to pop? 

Hey Pedro!

Hard to say mate. If it were only a couple of days since sowing I'd say dig'em up and scratch'em up but since it has been a few weeks they may be germinating and disturbing them will vastly reduce survival.

My fingers are crossed for ya mate. Maybe grab some more seed while their available just in case :wink:

12 hours ago, ENtiTY said:

Hey Pedro!

Hard to say mate. If it were only a couple of days since sowing I'd say dig'em up and scratch'em up but since it has been a few weeks they may be germinating and disturbing them will vastly reduce survival.

My fingers are crossed for ya mate. Maybe grab some more seed while their available just in case :wink:

Sweet! Will leave them be and order some more. Such a mysterious plant..

They take quite a while to germ right? 

22 hours ago, Pedro99 said:

Sweet! Will leave them be and order some more. Such a mysterious plant..

They take quite a while to germ right? 

Mysterious till you get to know it :wink:

Time to sprout is fairly short if you treat the seeds correctly and provide the required conditions for germination. Within around 5 days all the seeds that are going to sprout will have sprouted from personal experience. This is the beauty of the hot water treatment, the swelling of the seed is the start of the germination process, you can see which seeds are ready to go and which need more treatment or are perhaps un-viable. If you sow the swelled seeds you are sowing seeds that have already started to germinate so the success rate is much higher.

I highly suggest treating only a couple of seeds at a time so if you make mistakes you can learn from them and still have some seed to try again with.

You got! :thumbsup:

Now I have spare seed packets from the Philipines, 7 pods most have 2 seeds in them. $7 you can send me a paypal.
Message me on here!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1