The Corroboree
Fool

Transplanting caapi vine in winter

So I am moving house next week and I need to transplant 5 caapi vines that have established in the ground for 18 months or more. I was hoping for any advice or tips from you veteran ethnobotanists please.

My plan so far is to trim back the vines a bit and possibly trim the roots(not yo sure on that one) and plant with heaps of water Crystal's and some good soil. The soil at the new place is very sandy so worried they will struggle if I don't dig bug holes and fill with hummus type of soil..

The black caapi from @Torsten is absolutely going off and grows so well down here in the mid north coast.. the others have been slow to really take off..

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

i would attempt to bring up as much root stock as you can, cut the vine back considerably and it'll be all good. You should be able to take cuttings from the vine trimmings, but you'll need to keep them warm if you're in NSW, in a humidity dome on a windowsill should be sweet...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MountainGoat said:

i would attempt to bring up as much root stock as you can, cut the vine back considerably and it'll be all good. You should be able to take cuttings from the vine trimmings, but you'll need to keep them warm if you're in NSW, in a humidity dome on a windowsill should be sweet...

Thanks mountaingoat . Just needed a bit of confidence as worried about my babies.. yeah was thinking cuttings wont take in winter but your right I should try to keep some humid.. I do have a mini greenhouse I use for mycology that I may be able to out then in... hmmm more to contemplate..  cheers for the input though.. appreciate it..

• Like 2

i planted several rooted cuttings last winter - all did well over summer (sydney)... i have others in questionable locations that have stalled for about 18 months suggesting they are pretty sturdy and will probably move into pots for new homes.

depending how much rootstock comes up you could put into a pot to keep in the sunniest spot til spring