The Corroboree
Alchemica

Free Galphimia glauca

golden.thumb.jpg.e7c7bea2d883195d066a2c5d28a84ed5.jpg

Can spare a few people some free seed [and/or smallish quantities of research material (in exchange for an opinion in a thread)].

I'll say the first three people? Can probably do more if someone's really keen, just keeping some seed for plant meets etc.

Post here then shoot me a PM.

"Best time to sow is late autumn and winter in good quality seed raising mix, cover lightly as seeds need light to germinate. Place in a warm sunny position. Don't plant out until late spring/early summer, keep moist on transplant. Don't overfeed - likes impoverished soil"

High-quality evidence was found to exist for the use of Galphimia glauca (galphimia) for anxiety disorders [1]

Dose: Dried herb 0.6–1 g per day standardized to 0.175–0.348 mg of galphimine B

Clinical trials showing equivalence to synthetic anxiolytics
No adverse reactions found in studies

Generalized anxiety, GAD

While emerging data is encouraging, further placebo-controlled studies are needed.

Galphimines have been identified as active compounds in galphimia, with the nor-secotriterpenes galphimine A and galphimine B, being shown to have the strongest anxiolytic activity. Galphimine B has been considered the primary active constituent for galphimia’s anxiolytic and sedative effect, and is the constituent standardized for clinical trials. Galphimine B has been shown to interact with serotonergic transmission in the dorsal hippocampus in rats. This occurs by increasing the frequency of neuronal discharge in CA1 cells, resulting in activation of 5HT(1A) receptors. One study in mice demonstrated that galphimines cross the blood–brain barrier, with galphimine A found to have an effect on the central nervous system.

2.5.3 Evidence of Efficacy
2.5.3.1 Preclinical
A number of galphimine constituents, including galphimine B, were evaluated for their anxiolytic effects in mice using the EPM. Mice were intraperitoneally administered 15 mg/kg of a galaphimine derivative 1 hour before testing. An anxiolytic-like effect in the mice was found for both galphimine A and galphimine B, with a significant increase in the time spent in and number of entries into the open arm in the EPM. A second study on mice used a methanolic extract (standardized for galphimine B, 8.3 mg/g) at different doses (125, 250, 500, 1000 and 2000 mg/kg), which were orally administered at three different times (24, 18 and 1 hour before the test). Significant anxiolytic-like effects were found in the light–dark paradigm test and the EPM, but not the forced swimming test.

2.5.3.2 Clinical
Two clinical trials have found galphimia to be an effective anxiolytic. The first was a 4-week, positive-controlled double-blind RCT, with a cohort of 152 patients with a DSM-IV diagnosis of GAD and HAMA scores ≥19 . The two groups received either galphimia aqueous extract (310 mg standardized to 0.348 mg of galphimine B), or the benzodiazepine lorazepam (1 mg). Each treatment was administered in capsule form (identical in appearance) twice daily. Both groups demonstrated a significant reduction in anxiety symptoms. There were no significant side effects reported in the galphimia group, which contrasted with the lorazepam group, in which over 21 % of people reported excessive sedation.

https://neupsykey.com/herbal-anxiolytics-with-sedative-actions/

"0.175 mg of galphimine-B and administered for 15 weeks to patients with generalized anxiety disorder, showed greater anxiolytic effectiveness than that obtained with lorazepam, with high percentages of therapeutic tolerability and safety." [2, 3]

Galphimia glauca has been used for many years in Mexican traditional medicine for treating mental diseases, particularly nervous hyperexcitability disorders. This plant contains galphimines which have been shown to possess the ability of modifying the frequency of discharge of dopaminergic neurons in the Ventral tegmental area [4]. Galphimine-B appears to be an allosteric modulator of 5HT1A receptors [5] It was capable of blocking positive and cognitive symptoms associated with psychosis induced by ketamine [6]

Anti-inflammatory activity and chemical profile of Galphimia glauca.

[1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29575228
[2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22828921
[3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17562493
[4] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12567277
[5] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21742023
[6] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29710504

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 4

Yes please mate. More than happy to provide some bioassay feedback too if that's what you mean by opinion.

• Like 1

Hey Alchemica would love some seed.  

• Like 1

I'd love some! Happy to offer an opinion too :) 

Edited by TheMooseZeus
  • Like 1

I will put my hand up too!

If anything left,,I have a patient that would love to try this

Cheers

I'll sort out the above. No problems @mole. OK we'll leave it there. If anyone gets desperate for some seed, let me know, otherwise it's available other places, let me know if you can't find others.

I'd love to hear more anecdotal reports on this plant medicine.   :)

• Like 1

Seeds arrived today. Cheers Alchemica 

• Like 2

Seeds and plant material came today :)

Late this afternoon on a short walk I dosed two pinches of dried galphimia glauca. 20 or so minuets later i felt very relaxed, the colours of autumn appeared to be bolder. Greens and oranges stood out. This of course could have been placebo or just me taking the time to notice them.

I had a relaxing afternoon so i couldn't notice much of a difference. Talking to some people seemed easier and the conversation seemed to really flow a lot better, just joking around with people who i don't think i would usually feel 100% comfortable with. Letting my guard down was nice. 

I'm not an anxious person at the best of times but I feel strongly like any anxieties I do have were nicely dulled.

I believe even 4 hours after dosing i'm feeling some effects and i'm keen for an early night (I hear this is a common effect)

I will honour this plant medicine by planting it's seeds tomorrow morning

Peace all 

• Like 5

Arrived today.  Thanks Al!

Capped exactly 1 gram and took about two hours ago.  Possibly feeling slightly calmer but hard to tell as I was already quite chilled.

Will experiment more over the weekend and report back to you.

Thanks again mate.

• Like 1

Had a cup of tea with the leaves this evening.  Around about 5 g chopped fine an left to steep in hot water for about 20 min.  

Very mild effects but seems to be a little bit anxiolytic and a slightly stronger, but still very mild sedative effect.

I read that paper comparing between galphimine B and lorazepam, and can't see anywhere near the same effect as any benzo from an acute dose.  Perhaps it needs to be chronic treatment like in that paper to get a reliable effect?

At least for me.... am sort of leaning more to the placebo effect over any acute dosage benefits.  Or maybe tea is the wrong method?  Might try smoking next time?

• Like 1

Yeah I sort of came to the conclusion it probably needs longer term dosing over acute. At 3g I got mild effects improved sleep quality (with atypical vivid dreams) but I'm not the best test subject. I don't know how stable the galphimines are thermally but I probably wouldn't smoke, if anything "The plant’s dried leaves and flowers are macerated in alcohol and shaken by hand to obtain the required potency." [1]

That said, I had someone with diagnosed GAD try it and they found it gave them an early sleep and said "Definitely find it calming". Maybe if there's nothing too pathological, like hyper-excitability etc, it's not too effective?

Did you have luck germinating this @Glaukus? As one of my first attempts with seeds, I may have been too hasty collecting seed.

Perhaps it needs to be chronic treatment like in that paper to get a reliable effect?

Revisiting this, from the latest study,  it seems to be a rather cumulative effect, not so much acute effects.

A gradual improvement was observed in GAD - 68.1% of the patients were completely asymptomatic at the end of the administration of the experimental treatment, and 92.0% of patients were considered with therapeutic success.

It managed to progressively improve the activities of patients in daily life, as well as provide palpable improvements regarding their tranquility and their perception of anxiety and depression.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30834253

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Alchemica said:

Did you have luck germinating this @Glaukus? As one of my first attempts with seeds, I may have been too hasty collecting seed.

Revisiting this, from the latest study,  it seems to be a rather cumulative effect, not so much acute effects.

A gradual improvement was observed in GAD - 68.1% of the patients were completely asymptomatic at the end of the administration of the experimental treatment, and 92.0% of patients were considered with therapeutic success.

It managed to progressively improve the activities of patients in daily life, as well as provide palpable improvements regarding their tranquility and their perception of anxiety and depression.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30834253

I'm actually just about to start them now, I read they are better off germed in cooler months. I'll post an update if I get some above ground.

• Like 1