The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Drildo

Heat Gun to dry fresh cuts?

Hey Sabers,
I am looking at buying some tricho cuts from a fella on eBay, heres the link:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trichocereus-Pachanoi-Peruvianus-Pscho0-YOWIE-San-Pedro-Cactus-Cuttings/302729461111?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=601596245797&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Anyway, he proposes to take the cuts, use a heat gun to quick-dry them, then mail same day. Basically just using the heat gun to get them safe for postage, not a speed-callous or anything so they can be potted up faster. Nothing like that. Simply to dry them so they're safe for shipping same day. Once I receive the cuts I will allow them to air dry/callous naturally over another 10-14 days before potting up.

Just wondering;
- Is this a bad idea?
- Will exposing the bare open flesh to (dry fan forced) heat induce rotting vs callousing and potentially fuck the flesh at all?
- Anyone see any issues with this, should I tell him to hold onto them for an extra week before mailing (maybe inconvenient for him), or should this method be OK?  Thoughts?

Again its just for postage & not so they can be potted up any quicker. Once received they will be left for another fortnight for further drying before potting up. The seller packs well, using only paper and cardboard and packing peanuts (breathable and somewhat desiccating), no plastic anywhere. Have had two orders in the last fortnight and they were perfectly packaged, but rooted plants (TBM's).

2 minutes ago, Skellum said:

Hey Sabers,

I am looking at buying some tricho cuts from a fella on eBay, heres the link:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trichocereus-Pachanoi-Peruvianus-Pscho0-YOWIE-San-Pedro-Cactus-Cuttings/302729461111?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=601596245797&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Anyway, he proposes to take the cuts, use a heat gun to quick-dry them, then mail same day. Basically just using the heat gun to get them safe for postage, not a speed-callous or anything so they can be potted up faster. Nothing like that. Simply to dry them so they're safe for shipping same day. Once I receive the cuts I will allow them to air dry/callous naturally over another 10-14 days before potting up.

Just wondering;

- Is this a bad idea?

- Will exposing the bare open flesh to (dry fan forced) heat induce rotting vs callousing and potentially fuck the flesh at all?

- Anyone see any issues with this, should I tell him to hold onto them for an extra week before mailing (maybe inconvenient for him), or should this method be OK?  Thoughts?

Again its just for postage & not so they can be potted up any quicker. Once received they will be left for another fortnight for further drying before potting up. The seller packs well, using only paper and cardboard and packing peanuts (breathable and somewhat desiccating), no plastic anywhere. Have had two orders in the last fortnight and they were perfectly packaged, but rooted plants (TBM's).

Having used a heat gun to spit shine my boots... I can tell you unless the guy is very careful you risk doing some damage to your cacti.  I'd rather cut and dip in sulfur or even diatomaceous earth. Then send wrapped in newspaper and a plastic bag to to keep the powder in. Nothing like suspicious white powder falling out of a package as it is shipped.

• Like 1

^  I told him to use sulfur, I don't think he has any on hand and seems to think this method works and has had some sales in the last week with happy customers it looks, sending via this method.
I'll let him know go easy on the heat etc... There's actually heat settings on most heat guns,  even setting to blow cool air,  not heated air...  They're like glorified hair driers man.

I'll tell him to go easy on the heat anyway if hes gonna go that route. Cheers Inyan.

No other horror stories from anyone involving accidentially cooking their cactus doing anything like this?  lol

54 minutes ago, Skellum said:

^  I told him to use sulfur, I don't think he has any on hand and seems to think this method works and has had some sales in the last week with happy customers it looks, sending via this method.

I'll let him know go easy on the heat etc... There's actually heat settings on most heat guns,  even setting to blow cool air,  not heated air...  They're like glorified hair driers man.

I'll tell him to go easy on the heat anyway if hes gonna go that route. Cheers Inyan.

No other horror stories from anyone involving accidentially cooking their cactus doing anything like this?  lol

I definitely did not mean to imply it could not be done. It most certainly can be done. The trouble I find is that I know that even with many years of experience with a heat gun you can get over zealous and mess things up. With heat damage, the damage may not even be visible for until a few days after you receive it. With boots, it is not such a worry. Simply strip the wax and start over. With plants... not so easy. With that being said, unless the specimen is very tiny I don't think you have to worry about much more than cosmetic damage if he does get over zealous. 

A simple fan for 1 hour would be the method I would personally use if he did not have access to sulfur or diatomaceous Earth, both of which can be found at most farm type stores. Diatomaceous Earth can also be found in pool supply sections as well. At any rate, I wish you luck and by no means did I mean to imply his method would not work. It does however represent a level of risk I would not take for a one of a kind cacti. Now, if it were simply a stack of cacti with no discernible novelty... sure... fire away with the heat gun on high setting. 

The cuts are fat,
I think we'll be right.

cheers mate.