The Corroboree

• Like 5

Is that string or dental floss?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slocombe said:

Is that string or dental floss?

That is string. Would you like to see one done with dental floss? It can be arranged.

Reckon I'll have to give 'string theory' a whirl :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Halcyon Daze said:

Reckon I'll have to give 'string theory' a whirl :)

Here you go my friend. Another day, another graft it seems. This one is a variegated crested pachanoi being grafted.

• Like 2

I haven't been here for a while, so either bare my ignorance or/and post me a link to an appropriate link.

what i'm refering to is that, I know of no post's that successfully grafted a crest if it was small.

maybe it works with some genetics but not with others, inform us...

I have grafted my bridge crest many times, and if the scion is the size of a plum or close to, it worked.

but all areola grafts have failed, to produce a crest, but once they took, they growth habit was "normal".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, withdrawl clinic said:

I haven't been here for a while, so either bare my ignorance or/and post me a link to an appropriate link.

what i'm refering to is that, I know of no post's that successfully grafted a crest if it was small.

maybe it works with some genetics but not with others, inform us...

I have grafted my bridge crest many times, and if the scion is the size of a plum or close to, it worked.

but all areola grafts have failed, to produce a crest, but once they took, they growth habit was "normal".

Bottom line, I've grafted crests smaller than the one shown here and had them revert to normal growth as well. I've also seen those same reverted specimens go back to crested forms after a few inches of growth. So, yeah.. grafts can be funky.

Edited by Inyan
too wordy
  • Like 1

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:53 PM, Inyan said:

Bottom line, I've grafted crests smaller than the one shown here and had them revert to normal growth as well. I've also seen those same reverted specimens go back to crested forms after a few inches of growth. So, yeah.. grafts can be funky.

I chucked them, in future I might keep them longer and hope they go, crested or monstrous again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, withdrawl clinic said:

I chucked them, in future I might keep them longer and hope they go, crested or monstrous again.

If the phenotype is locked in the material you have grafted then one would think its only a matter of time before the phenotype emerges again. At least, that has been my experience. Just think, there could be crests growing in a garbage heap near you! Definitely, grow them out more next time. And you may have to wait for just a few inches of growth or you may have to wait for several feet of growth... but it is worth the wait in my mind at least.seedlingLERZelly.thumb.jpg.4bde44cea075a9271efdacc58e295440.jpgparafilm.thumb.jpg.af878be2430c201a0e3a3c9d85e09d72.jpg With those smaller grafts... it helps to lock in the humidity via parafilm or a humidity dome. I use parafilm more frequently than not however as it also applies pressure to the graft and does not have to be removed.

seedlingLERZelly.thumb.jpg.4bde44cea075a9271efdacc58e295440.jpg

parafilm.thumb.jpg.af878be2430c201a0e3a3c9d85e09d72.jpg

seedlingLERZelly.thumb.jpg.4bde44cea075a9271efdacc58e295440.jpg

parafilm.thumb.jpg.af878be2430c201a0e3a3c9d85e09d72.jpg

Edited by Inyan