The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheMooseZeus

Jumping Caapi Seeds

So... last night i went to check on my freshly planted Caapi seeds as i just moved them into a new location.

I found one of the pots was empty with a hole left where the seed was... After a bit of searching i found it again around the plant pots.

Tonight after coming home in the dark, i walked into the house and straight to those same caapi seeds... Again, the same seed was missing with a hole where it once occupied.

Lucky after a bit more searching the seed was near to the pot...

I suspect birds maybe a rat but i doubt it...

... Never let your guard down ... Just kidding, surrender 

Mice. 

In my vege garden I lost countless beans just before and after sprouting. At first I thought it was birds but the seeds kept disappearing even after I covered the bed in with chicken wire. 

Long story short and several packets of bean seeds later, I discovered mice nesting in my compost heap, and feasting on my seeds at night. 

They would even get into my potted seeds. The only way I could stop them was with a small piece of perspex over the pot at night, which they occasionally nudged off anyway, until I put a small stone on top of it as well. 

They eventually moved on to another home and food source once I disrupted the bean-feast. 

Mice are incredibly resourceful and athletic, they can jump and climb to places you wouldn't think possible, and are smarter than most people credit them for. 

Especially so at this time of year when temperatures drop and food becomes less abundant for them. 

Good luck with your seeds! 

1 hour ago, Xperiment said:

Mice. 

I hope not. I just filled my veggie patch with winter green!

I hoper it was only the caapi they liked because it sticks out a little

Hmmm...I'm dubious on the miceness of it. Wouldn't mice consume the seed instead of, seemingly, digging it out and tossing it in the air ? and only one seed ? But I don't have a better hypothesis. As far as i can tell, aliens from the future are sneaking into your greenhouse and stopping that particular seed from germinating.

I don't know that's if better or worse.

7 hours ago, freakazoid said:

Hmmm...I'm dubious on the miceness of it. Wouldn't mice consume the seed instead of, seemingly, digging it out and tossing it in the air ? and only one seed ? But I don't have a better hypothesis. As far as i can tell, aliens from the future are sneaking into your greenhouse and stopping that particular seed from germinating.

I don't know that's if better or worse.

It's better. I've covered it over so if its still happening, something spooky is going on

Spycam??

I went out to check on the caapi seeds today. After covering the small pots i planted with a clear seedling planter lid i STILL found a caapi seed uprooted and placed on the pot next to it... This is getting weird

That's either bad juju or someone is trying to politely tell you to plant it in a more appropriate location. I reckon its the later.

On 6/15/2018 at 8:29 AM, Infinity said:

That's either bad juju or someone is trying to politely tell you to plant it in a more appropriate location. I reckon its the later.

Haha you think? It jumped into a pot of Galphimia glauca...

You'd better get to the bottom of this....

mythbusters-02.thumb.jpg.0d5f68f2615f4d19ccb4ed46436c17f3.jpg

8 hours ago, Infinity said:

You'd better get to the bottom of this....

I feel so obliged to... I think it requires more rolls of tape or memory on a camera than i have