The Corroboree
Gimli

Want to learn to shoot and hunt?

Had a few messages lately asking about getting into shooting as a sport and to eventually get into hunting animals later on with the mindset "from paddock to plate" (and as a secondary you are helping dispatch introduced/feral species!)

All state laws are different but for PTA you need a genuine reason. Here in Western Australia we are only allowed to shoot on private land with permission from the landowner or manager (if a pastoral station). NSW and VIC offer public land hunting in state forests after applying to relevant authorities. Duck can be hunted in season after passing your WIT test (VIC only I think?) Check your state laws.

A few tips for new shooters

1) SAFETY. TAKE A FIREARM SAFETY COURSE. Plenty of cowboys around unfortunately.

2) PPE. Good PPE goes a long way! A good pair of ear muffs or ear plugs. I use custom molds but somewhat pricey. Some people I've met wear safety/sport glasses such as Pilla Sport (brand), again, these are quite expensive but a range of lens colours helps with contrasts etc. Dressing appropriately is another to mention, especially when at the range. Hot brass landing on bare skin is not pleasant. 

3) For first time shooters, start out on a small caliber such as a .22 / .22LR. Starting on a bigger caliber can cause unwanted flinching. Bad habits are hard to correct.

4) PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE. All animals deserve to be dispatched quickly and humanely with correct shot placement of the suitable caliber

Plenty more I could have mentioned, but these are the most important in my eyes. Safety and discipline. Discipline and safety.

The biggest issue people have is gaining access to properties. You may know someone who is willing to let you on. Joining SSAA and using their ranges is a good way to network with members. They have a farmer assist program although I've never used it. The main thing I tell people is to go door knocking out in the bush. Get dressed nicely and offer assistance to farmers ie fencing, welding. If you have a trade or are good with your hands etc. I do fencing for a few farmers. They are busy people and always have something to do. You'll get a lot of people say no but leave your contact details anyway as you might get a call back.

Filling your freezer with real free range organic meat is amazing. Don't let people tell you otherwise!

Will try answer questions if people have them

• Like 6

Tas has State Forest permit access which must also have relevant game permits and tags for some game, and waterfowl ID is required.

There's a difference between the range and the field. A proficient hunter has to develop additional skills.

One of the main ones is when not to pull the trigger.... Trigger discipline. Common mistake of new hunters, and a bad trait of seasoned ones.

Identify your target without any doubt , know what's beyond it.

An unloaded firearm handed to you as such IS loaded, until you check it yourself and verify.

• Like 2

Gimli do you butcher the carcass yourself?

Envious of the lifestyle mate.