The Corroboree
withdrawl clinic

what i've been up to, in my abscence...

oh yeah, it's always about me...

nupe, but I think a big ego, protects you from mental illness, hahaha.

I just had my first beer in 3 weeks.

this thread is about, what else we do, if we don't just hang out at sab (going to work doesn't count sorry).

I was absent for a while, and I filled the void with, (youtube) gypsy jazz videos and some psy trance), and increased my skill level on the guitar. I increased my time I spend in the bush, and the focus as often is gold, mineral collecting and fossils.

I joined a lapidary club, it was on my bucket list for a long time.

what do you do, when you try to get as excited as when sabing?

Edited by withdrawl clinic
  • Like 5

I volunteer at an aged care facility and try to weasel myself into as many wills as possible. Gotta work hard for it though :P

Other than that it's all about gardening. I'll take the wife to lookouts and waterfalls as much as possible. and sometimes go for a swim or fishing etc. I've been  a lot more active in various clubs in the past, lapidary, orchid clubs, bromeliad club, Just cant find the time for it these days, but do follow my hobbies on the internet, youtube etc.

Also Kancho... Gotta get me some wild kancho every day.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 6

Lots of gardening, camping, occupying my physical body while my mind works, music listening and music playing.

Too much youtube and i have re discovered video games :shroomer:B)

Life's good.

• Like 2

Camping/hiking/hunting and prospecting.

Always wanted to learn how to knapping stone and flint though... one day

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gimli said:

Camping/hiking/hunting and prospecting.

Hunting roo? 

I got myself a digital piano and trying to learn from scratch. 

Been exploring skinning and treating skins,  not sure where i am going with that yet, but it has inspired me to try and explore hunting. I think i want to hunt feral goat and deer as a food source. So going to the local gun club open day and see where that leads (any advice or suggestions on this exploration or any of them most welcome) 

Im sure i do other things..  Oh we are currently planning a hothouse for the cactus babies. 

• Like 2

kancho, thx 4 that halcyon, I learned.

flint napping, gimli you say, me too, just traded the best flint napper in my are, some big jasper and other stones for an antler and some smaller stones!

niggles, tanning is as well on my list, and like a surprisingly high number of members here, hunting even with a sophisticated weapon is alright for me, definitely if pest animals can be utelized. pitty they see roo as a pest, in oz, it was here before the cattle.... 

roo meat is yum! what we don't like with it is the fact it is so healthy (no fat cholesterol just a bit in the tail, the best part).

I would like to learn how to stuff animals, but again the laws in oz are well meant but at times just stupid, made by pollies and not experts of the field.

as well I would like a home foundry, casting art work, but the list goes on...

On 06/05/2018 at 3:36 PM, Halcyon Daze said:

Also Kancho... Gotta get me some wild kancho every day.

You have some strange hobbies Halcyon... Kancho.jpg

• Like 5

I'm a complex guy...

You don't know what you're missing 'till you try. But be careful, it's highly addictive. My wife won't turn her back on me any more, she sleeps with one eye open LOL.

And just remember the rule is to exclaim 'KANCHO!' when you do it, otherwise it's classified as sexual assault. :(

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2018 at 6:25 PM, niggles said:

Been exploring skinning and treating skins,  not sure where i am going with that yet, but it has inspired me to try and explore hunting. I think i want to hunt feral goat and deer as a food source. So going to the local gun club open day and see where that leads (any advice or suggestions on this exploration or any of them most welcome)

We brain tan our hides. A lot of work but a far superior end product. Better than using the kits you can buy. Learnt from an old gentleman years back.

9 hours ago, withdrawl clinic said:

flint napping, gimli you say, me too, just traded the best flint napper in my are, some big jasper and other stones for an antler and some smaller stones!

niggles, tanning is as well on my list, and like a surprisingly high number of members here, hunting even with a sophisticated weapon is alright for me, definitely if pest animals can be utelized. pitty they see roo as a pest, in oz, it was here before the cattle.... 

roo meat is yum! what we don't like with it is the fact it is so healthy (no fat cholesterol just a bit in the tail, the best part).

Want to learn how to make some arrow heads. I love steel broadheads but always wanted to try stone. One day..

I'm surprised the arse hasn't fallen out of the kangaroo meat industry. The price processors are paying to shooters (primary producers) is getting lower all the time. A lot of shooters have hung up their guns and moved on to other careers.

• Like 1

I skinned a few roos once, and stretched and dried the skins nicely. I kept putting off the tanning part and one day I found maggots had gotten onto the dried skins and had caused big patches of the fur to fall off. I had to throw it all away.

Moral of the story, the skins need to be tanned.

21 hours ago, Halcyon Daze said:

And just remember the rule is to exclaim 'KANCHO!' when you do it, otherwise it's classified as sexual assault. :(

And if anyone "Kancho's" you, just exclaim "HOPOATE!" when you punch the shit out of them and then everything will be fine......:rolleyes:  

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, Halcyon Daze said:

You don't know what you're missing 'till you try. But be careful, it's highly addictive. My wife won't turn her back on me any more, she sleeps with one eye open LOL.

I remember when you kanchoed me the 1st time, and by doing so, healed my Myochosis coli. :)

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:18 PM, Gimli said:

Want to learn how to make some arrow heads. I love steel broadheads but always wanted to try stone. One day..

say's one late stonedage human to another, those new copper blades suck ass big time, bring back the flint and opalite, hehehe. :)

Great thread, good to see everyone sharing. I don't get much spare time. I work long hours with at risk youth, but a lot of my work involves camping, hunting, fishing, gardening and music. Have been getting into a bit of film making lately. When I'm not at work I like to either get in the garden or out on the water. My favorite hunting at the moment is spear fishing. It's like starting over, with a whole new range of species you need to learn. I've pretty much got the hang of the easy stuff like barra, parrots, or coral trout. It usually only takes about 10 min's in the water to get a feed. I got a way to go with things like mangrove jacks. I can ambush them, but their so!! hard to stalk. 

• Like 3

Daaaaaaamn..... I'd sure like to kancho that :drool2:

• Like 2

Hahahah, has your life just turned into a constant assessment of potential kancho targets? :P

d050360ec10bd3006ca3db8c65a4681e_screen.

I've been having a lot of fun with my mental health! Yay for complex PTSD!

Thankfully I'm starting to find more and more opportunities to move towards what I feel will help me thrive rather than exist... I just got home from doing sound for the local ukulele festival, which was freaking BRILLIANT fun, largely positive reception except for a couple of artists with shitty pickups and mic technique roasting me from afar for not turning them up to the point of feedback. Ahh well.

I'm working on the theory that a lot of mental health problems stem from, or are exacerbated by, a lack of community involvement. This is partially through what I've learned about cultures with low mental illness rates- everybody has a place and belongs, people look after each other, the youth belong to a vast family which is their tribe, so if their parents are shit cunts the blow is absorbed by the love they receive from their peers. I'm also informed by my time living close to the city and how downright afraid everybody is of everybody else.

Also had a professional development session for an arts festival I'll be performing at later in the year, another Big Thing for me. It's the first time I've acknowledged myself as an artist and exhibited as such.

I asked my supervisor if I can drop down to 4 days a week. Here's hoping. I'm adamant that being less involved in the cooked logic of a huge multi-national corporation will do really bloody good things for me. Also, any reduction in time spent in a warehouse in winter is a GOOD THING, last winter was just painful.

• Like 7

ton, the community/ family support thing you mentioned, is paramount, my fav example is some say tribes in south America, where the whole tribe, mourns, with the grief stricken one's, and like this maybe shorten the depressed states.

all mental illness comes from outside forces!!!

but it's our predisposition which makes us vunerable, hence if the community feels, like "you are ok" than you are.

most shrinks and doctors, work from preconceived ideas, (like we all do at times) but mostly lack to get that extra touch,

so many diagnoses are wrong. 

pot,  is saver than Zyprexa!

alcohol is a very save anxiolytic, valium is not.

• Like 2

....Aaaaand I have spent the last few weeks recovering from a drug-induced psychosis, and/or manic episode. Reading back on my last few posts here made me go *nod* hmmmm, yeah. I wasn't headed in a good direction.

To be honest I'm gunning for psychosis, 'cus at leas then the treatment is more or less 'don't take drugs idjit'

So I'm being a good boy, wholefood diet, hydration, exercise, canned the deity visualisation-style meditation, got a trial shift as a cook on Saturday. Finances are up the crap but *eh* it's just money. I've certainly been in worse financial situations... Correlating with other episodes which I can clearly see were much less spiritual and more delusional than I was able to accept ;)

The alternative is the box of Seroquel I have sitting in a drawer, waiting for me should I make any more smart decisions like 'continuing to smoke cannabis (siiiigh and the psilo thing) when Ganesh and Lakshmi both told me to stop.

On 5/20/2018 at 9:05 PM, Tøn said:

.....I'm working on the theory that a lot of mental health problems stem from, or are exacerbated by, a lack of community involvement. This is partially through what I've learned about cultures with low mental illness rates- everybody has a place and belongs, people look after each other....

This isn't a new theory. It's well established by some countries that the opposite of addiction is connection, not sobriety. Portugal based their (successful) decriminalisation plan on this science. They incentivised employers to take on ex addicts financially and annulled judgements to free victimless drug "criminals", plus healthcare, dentistry, work training and a hell of a lot of other things to make it easy for people who feel alienated to be more involved with their communities.

Edited by Northerner
  • Like 3

That's incredible! I wish it would catch on over here.

Most definitely, when I'm out and about doing community stuff, noone gives a shit who I have been in the past, they just see this capable and intelligent person who wants to be involved and has a lot of unique skills.

At the job I just left, I was constantly subject to subterfuge from people who are incredibly defensive about climbing the ranks in a company that EVERYONE hates working for, even the management. I was set up to fail in so many ways, and if I didn't know better I would have believed it- that would have become my reality.