The Corroboree
MeanGreen

How to care for variegated cacti?

I have been growing my variegates indoor under lights after burning a couple of variegated loph seedlings in the sun, but I want/need to move them outside.

How do you guys care for your variegated trichos, and what kind of position do you give them to avoid burning but still get good girth and avoid etiolation?

• Like 1

I grow my variegated Trichocereus in full sun from the day they are sown as seeds. Seems to work just fine for me that way. If you don't grow your cacti in full sun however, you can burn them regardless of whether they are variegated or not when you first move them out to the sun. Adaptation to a new environment takes time to say the least.

• Like 1

I'd also add, a shade cloth or only introducing your cacti to direct sunlight for an hour at a time and slowly increasing exposure over time works great if you have slipped up and not grown your cacti in full sunlight or can't for whatever reason. Everything in moderation so to speak. I really should have put that information in my first post. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1