The Corroboree

Hi all,

Has anyone had any experience soaking your acacia (or otherwise) plant matter in high proof alcohol or iso for extended periods of time. For making soaps?

I hear once evaporated it can form interesting crystals.

- Thank you all!

I'm guessing this is in reference to non-alkaloid constituents only. Don't have any experiences to add but please keep it to legal soap ingredients

Here's some info on what alcohol could potentially pull in the way of non-alkaloid constituents

"Acacia was referred to as ‘the tree of life’, reflecting its healing nature. Early colonial botanists described medicinal attributes of Acacia species that were known by indigenous Australians"

It is said the biological activities of the Australian Acacia gums were similar to those of Gum Arabic, rich in complex polysaccharides, and that these gums may have potential value as functional human food ingredients. They act as quite effective prebiotics. Neuroprotective effects of Gum Arabic have been established in the ageing brain and ingestion causes significant reduction in BMI and body fat percentage among healthy adult females.

Barks and leaves are the most commonly used parts in all cultures (Australian Aboriginal, African, Asian and Arabs). Other parts used, in decreasing order, are: seeds ≥ gum˃ pods˃ roots ≥ woods˃ flowers ≥ twigs.

Many Australian Acacias are potentially useful in the "treatment of diabetes and neurodegenerative disorders. These Acacia species are rich sources of phenolic antioxidants" but I can't see the phenolic content of the gum

[1] Phytochemical and pharmacological investigations of Australian Acacia: An ethnomedicine-guided bioprospective approach https://researchoutput.csu.edu.au/files/9318404/88453

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 2

So this tincture could be used as a dietary supplement? 

• Like 1

The gum is water soluble so it can make into a drink for anyone wanting to give it a go, which can save those not use to chewing the gum from freaking out if they stick their teeth together... Lol:wink:

Gets watered down and mixed with ash for "cement" making. Well made it becomes watertight. Some used crushed burnt shells as well on the coast.

A few other uses not so relevant these days like applied to big wounds as a dressing (with bark ash only)

There's an art to picking the best bits to chew (color and sorta pinch test), outright rejecting red/brown gum (also less soluble).

For me it's a habit of childhood (and some kinos) as a supplement (it's food... It's available.. Lol) ,and something to mung on.

A.dealbata and mearnsii only here though (others not palatable, and it's acquired) , although there are many that are eaten across oz. Palatability would be the main driver I think.

I'd guess the aging and sun exposure of the gum affects its composition as well, and it takes some time to cure off to rock hard.

• Like 2

I'd be interested in making a kind of bush chewing gum with Acacia gum and bottle brush leaves and flowers...

You kinda roll it around in your mouth like hard boiled lollies when a raw gum more than chew.

If you attack it like chewing gum straight up it will gunk up your teeth and has the potential to pull fillings out no probs.

Get the right softener in with it and you might have something.

Warm Shellite is better than alcohol for soap!

• Like 1