The Corroboree
Halcyon Daze

Seeding a paddock with cow pats

Is such a thing possible? Can I bring in new species via the mycelium of a colonised cow pat?

Any other tricks to doing this? Cheers!

• Like 1

I have done this on a small scale myself once. Brought a spawned pat home that I had found a cube fruiting from. I covered it in mulch and watered it. It fruited another couple of mushrooms and I neglected it and that was that.

Very interested to hear of anyone with a plan in this department, for poo poo mushies of course.

• Like 1

Some liquid culture or a good squirt of spores in solution added to the water trough where the bovines drink perhaps.

• Like 4

Used to do this every wet season back when I lived on the mainland. I have a friend that owns a buffalo farm,. He lets us collect a ute full of poo, which we spread under fruit trees. Trees with branches that hang right down are best for mushys as they hold more stable humidity. Another mate does this on a small scale in pots on his veranda. Blue meanies for breaky anybody?

• Like 2

On 4/25/2018 at 1:07 PM, Glaukus said:

Some liquid culture or a good squirt of spores in solution added to the water trough where the bovines drink perhaps.

Is this possible? It sounds like it could work... Are spores hardy enough to survive a cows digestive system? They can survive space but thats a different matter (antimatter)

• Like 2

I would have thought this was largely the way they proliferate, via the bovine digestive tract. :huh: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Responsible Choice said:

I would have thought this was largely the way they proliferate, via the bovine digestive tract. :huh: 

I thought it would spread through wind/ picked up on shoes or hooves in this case. 

... Just looked it up, are you're right 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprophilous_fungi 

• Like 2

Yeah the cubes dump a truckload of spores on the grass, and they actually create their own wind, did you know? :wink: 

Cows eat the grass with the spores on it, poo-poo, and voila, gold! :lol:

• Like 2

Do you think an over population of cattle is seriously helping the number of cubes on this earth?

Maybe it's meant to be

• Like 2

I think many species are only here is Australia (and other places) thanks to cattle.

What different kinds of feed can be fed directly to cattle anyway? I guess if you can get them feeding out of a bucket of fresh lucerne you could 'seed' it with whatever species you like.

I remember some absolute ripper paddocks on the sunny coast, biggest field mushrooms I've ever seen. Reckon I could dry out a few of the best and save them for the next time I visit a nice paddock such as my own.

I'm only talking about legal edible field mushrooms of course, nothing illegal. Besides I'm not sure if I'd want all the local hooligans roaming my paddock and stumbling across all my cacti or orchids etc.

Very interesting info though :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze

On 4/29/2018 at 5:09 AM, TheMooseZeus said:

Do you think an over population of cattle is seriously helping the number of cubes on this earth?

Maybe it's meant to be

:blink:

Send all your excess cows to me i will eat them free off charge (the crazy stories news ppl write haha)

It was late season around april, i bought a patch home, and loaded heaps of cow manure from bunnings in the soil, nothing yet, see what happens in spring/summer, might need another to try again :D

Low tek version of this would be to add a load of spores into some water and  broadcast spray this over a paddock used for grazing. Spores enter the beast via ingestion of grass. Nature should take over the rest if favourable conditions are present.