The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

I need suggestions for a memorial tree

I'm looking for suggestions for a tree for Christians memorial.

Something big impressive and hard wood. Long lived and native. Or big impressive and long lived hard wood not native but a good shade tree ( good canopy and looses it leaves in winter ideally) 

Hard mode. I must be able to get one this week

Does that mean you are coming to the camp, or are you having your own ceremony and planting on Hillbilly hill .

My favorite shade tree is an Albizia saman, while their impressive, they are not decidious. What about a Ginkgo biloba?

• Like 2

I'm running out of time to find something.  

Amz suggested a woolemi pine. What do you all think to that? I can get one local 

I've been trying to reply for ages but keep getting timed out. Very frustrating. I'm guessing others are in the same boat.

I love this idea. That's an extremely rare plant. I think a Woolemi Pine would make a perfect choice and very fitting.

I was going to suggest Araucaria Bidwillii aka the Bunya Nut Tree

These trees are absolutely massive. I was told a story that when the tree becomes an adult it drops a considerable amount of football sized cones full of Bunya Nuts on a cycle of once every 3 years around March. This abundant fruiting event brought together tribes from near and far for a corroboree that included a feast on the prized Bunya Nut. The taste has been likened to a cross between roasted chestnut and macadamia nut.

As a legacy to Christian I thought perhaps we could time a camp out once every 3 years that coincided with that fruiting event. Our own corroboree to pay tribute to those that have passed.

The woolemi pine idea was a good one. But it seems from local Intel it won't actually grow in that climate. 

• Like 1

Bugger. Maybe try one of the local nurseries to see what else is available.

There aren't too many deciduous natives to choose from. I think you might have to reconsider that bit. 

How about a Kauri pine. Easy enough to get, very hardy,  and super impressive.

Agathis robusta is a very good choice, it is one of australia's most impressive trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agathis_robusta

what makes you think Wollemi would not grow there, it would, but I think, it's not as a good choice as kauri.

if climat would permit, and we can source it, I would plant a giant redwood tree for Christian, they live for 1000 years and after 50 yaers people would come from far to see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequoiadendron_giganteum

I only found out recently about his death, via the forum, I cried heaps, but the shock made me post again here, some of you might guess who I am.

watch my future posts, I promise to sell good stuff in the future, and all the money should go towards his memorial.

Edited by withdrawl clinic
added hotlink