The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

We were under DDoS attack

The attack started on friday morning, but I could not deal with it as I had to go to a funeral. It was still going when i returned in the evening and also Saturday morning. I was advised to just turn the server off if possible and ride it out. So that's what we did. No damage done and we've got a few settings changed that should protect us a bit more in future.
Will also put us behind cloudflare soon.

I presume it is nothing sinister. Most attacks were out of china and russia. Probably just trying to gain access to mailserver for spam.

• Like 1

im having trouble accessing the site since this happened. im on a us vpn rn so my ordinary ip might be caught up in the firewall as i read on your fb page. also i was having trouble accessing my profile and changing my pwd but ill see how it goes on this vpn

edit: i can nabigate the site and load a few pages then it stops. i chamge my vpn server and can navigate a bit more and thhen it stops. im still being prevented from changing my password (it just hangs). im on chrome on android i dont have a modem to reset a d iv cleared the cache but it makes it worse (much slower to load pages if at all until i change my vpn server again ). if you could force a pwd reset or setup a tmp pwd id appreciate it thanks

Edited by DiscoStu

so in the time it takes me to write this ill go grom being able to post to being blocked again until i change my ip. seems theres a pretty zealous block list happening

edit 2: i managed to change my password now after changing ip again which is is what i wanted. ill leave you to get it sorted now thanks :)

Edited by DiscoStu
  • Like 1

forum did not work for me either as stu says, pages didn't load. seems to be fixed now.

• Like 1

I have not been able to get on the site since it happened 

nintchdbpict0003533047182.thumb.jpg.eb72f11cee539cf4a33b45dea13ebff3.jpg

Edited by mole
  • Like 3

The tech people set the firewall too aggressive as a response to the DDoS. I fixed this a few days later to be more suitable for the forum software. I've also made all bans temporary, so even if you do get caught in the firewall just try again 24-48h later.
There is still a lot of activity, so we're still a target, but at the moment the firewall is dealing with it all quite well.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:01 AM, Torsten said:

I've also made all bans temporary, so even if you do get caught in the firewall just try again 24-48h later.

pls explain, "made all bans temporary".

does, that mean I could rescue my "planthelper account"? 

as well, you said planthelper got a 4 week ban only, but I tried many, many times to log on as planthelper and it never worked.