The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kadakuda

breeding trichocereus for wet tolerance? Who hs done it?

Inyans purple testing got me a bit motivated as of late.  as in hte past i grew lots of tricks but find them quite pathetic at living in extended wet conditions, even in pure rock media.  tehy are more able to do cold than wet it seems in the sense of growing in northern locations compared to tropical ones.

So who else has looked into this problem?  i have only managed various other slightly to non active types like cuzcoensis that can handle the wet, sort of.  as in survive, not prosper.  bridge and pach are utterly hopeless in the outdoors here. peruvianus can do better, but seems debatable on their species classification and bioassay puts them more in line with cuszcoensis as far as effects and nausea :( so we abandoned the idea years ago.

we had good success grafting with in ground outdoor plants, but grafts were susceptible to high winds during typhoons, but might be an option for non ocean side type regions in the tropics where cyclones/typhoons are not an issue.

anyone dealt with high water tolerance types of trichs?  the problem is not ever quantity of water, but the duration they are kept wet.

• Like 2

certain growers in southern florida could tell you all about growing trix in wetter areas; alas you'll probably have to connect with them via face book......there was a time when these forums were much more robust; now it seems a fair percentage of traffic has moved to fb.

good point.  thanks.

but hell will freeze over three fold before i ever become naive enough to discuss this stuff on FB....

have noticed the forums going down in traffic.  have some theories, but would be interested to hear you guys ideas on why.  such a free gold mine here and relate forums.  if we are careful about how we use these forums and dont use our phones/computers/ip etc it is relatively safe with some common sense.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, kadakuda said:

but hell will freeze over three fold before i ever become naive enough to discuss this stuff on FB....

I'm avoiding FB, never ever have been on it, shit intimidates me...  The bloke 'zuckerburg' is facing the US senate over mass privacy breaches and shit, the fact you have to use all your contact details & name etc is worrying... BUT everyone is saying "GET ON DAT SHIT YO" for all your plant, cacti and ethno needs, also 'fb group' type like minded individuals, entire world to connect with.   Still I cant quite pull the trigger yet,  dunno why...

if we are careful about how we use these forums and dont use our phones/computers/ip etc it is relatively safe with some common sense.

The majority (if any) aren't coming here with the intention to break the law mate, so I'm not sure if we have to all be so worried with our IP's using vpn's etc...  The darknet is for that kind of shenanigans...

We're a bunch of growers enjoying the garden for the most part bro.  Its good to stay ahead of changes of law so we can clean garden in case anything becomes scheduled etc. SAB is good for info regarding these changes etc, SAB is good for heappppps of info.  I wonder what the facebook side of SAB is like, what goes on there?  -  I should get on FB...

have noticed the forums going down in traffic.  have some theories, but would be interested to hear you guys ideas on why.  such a free gold mine here and relate forums.

What are your theories regarding the downturn in traffic here at SAB mate?   I'd assume its mostly FB, considering there is a SAB side of things over on facebook too?  Makes some sense to just all shift over there and use the SAB group amoungst other groups too? ....    Its just....  Does/can FB profile what kind of person you are simply by all your interests, and if they are ONLY of ethno / notorious plants / other related topics do and can they like, sound the alarm if an individual is considered 'suspect' ?

I'm sure they can and would do that shit with like arab kids looking at sharia law, matyr style shit, extremists etc...   Worrying.

Edited by Skellum
structure
  • Like 3

Don't leave Skellum!

You will turn into a cunt, atleast most ppl i know that reside on FB are cunts

Edited by DualWieldRake
  • Like 2

^I will never leave.

I just want to expand maybe and see whats out there. Even just for SAB on fb if its got all the same people and more?

EDIT: Appologies for derailing thread.

Edited by Skellum
  • Like 1

The forums going down in traffic is not something new though, it's the whole internet. and it started with google dropping results for forums back when...

I suspect traffic may even be getting slightly higher then it has been for some time, only Torsten can answer that with certainty though

Edited by DualWieldRake

On the wet resistance, i suppose it's easy (in theory)

It may differ from breeding for color in the sense that the desired attribute is not as obvious, as you can already stick a trich in a bucket of water and watch it grow. (YMMV depending on oxygenation for one)

Now apparently your cactus has a tendency to turn into (partial) mush under these conditions, so perhaps what is needed is some microbe that likes wet and (specifically) trichs?

Edited by DualWieldRake
  • Like 1

I live in the wet tropics, i've been growing trichs for a few years here. I struggle with bridges, i find pach to be the most tolerant of wet weather. I do tend to get some fungal issues in the high humidity times. However, this year i've done well. No real issues. I mean i lose a few every now and then, but its still worth the loses. I've found raised beds with very free draining soil the best if in the ground. Terracotta pots, never plastic. And don't use sand.... ever. Volcanic rocks are good. We got lots of rain in March, well over 2m of it and i didn't have any loses.... 

The down side to growing trichs in the tropics is that they don't seem to flower, or at least i've never had any trich flowers... Up side is that they grow all year....

• Like 3

fb=short term,  dopamine driven social feedback loop

Facebook, according to Palihapitiya is built on psychology that creates a feedback loop of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with reward-motivated behavior. This creates a kind of feeding frenzy for social media reactions, that drive people to indulge in a series of tasks in the pursuit of Likes on Facebook, and having only short term, empty achievements to show at the end of it.

https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/facebook-encourages-short-term-dopamine-driven-feedback-loops-that-are-destroying-society-ex-facebook-vp-of-user-growth-4254243.html

• Like 3

Great thread, we had a cyclone here as well. I lost 3 brig's a Meted Wax, a Kai and a Sina. The Wax was discolored all season, so no surprise there but the other 2 dropped on the same day. A bit of discolour on some pach's, not much, peru's just grew insanely fast. If they won't flower in the tropics, its going to be a bit hard to breed for tolerance, but we can still select.

Edited by Crop
spelling
  • Like 1

As for fb, I'm with zelly on that one, and it's a given that there is no confidentiality. I have looked on the site a couple of times, there is some talk about illegal stuff. I might be paranoid but some of it smells like entrapment. It's not enough to not talk about illegal stuff, just being associated with this kind of thing can be a problem for some people.

Ya fb....nuff said.  narcissistic chemical release.

always wondered how you guys did them in actual water.  here it has never worked.  outdoors, indoors, greenhouse or balcony, always died here.

maybe some thoughts on species, varieties or clones that do well in rain?

for me bridge is always teh absolute worst with wet.  werder being the best.  i find the tolerance for me here is as follows, first being strongest in wet:  werder, cuzco, macro, peruv, pach, bridge.  those are the ones i have tried outdoors and/or in ground.  all did well in ground but in a greenhouse, so covered from rain, but had wet feet at times, but that was also with huge rock/grit amendments to the greenhouse floor.  will try a few in a raised rock bed ontop of concrete this typhoon season and see who stands up :)   ironically various astrophytum hybrids did well outside compared to the trichs.

• Like 2

I've grown mine in what I call bog-ponics. I can tell you... I do have to toss a very large percentage of my Trichocereus hybrids with bridgesii in the mix due to them not being able to take the excess water or humidity. It seems that black and red growth/ infections are very easy for that lot to get when you grow them in a continual bog like environment. For other hybrids/species I find that some that seem robust and grow fast in water/bog type environments still occasionally submit to the same types of infections... just many more months down the road. 

My personal suggestion, if you grow specimens that can take the water load and keep wet feet... don't ever assume they won't succumb to  infections later on down the road. Keep a back up clone if it is a very important or rare specimen. With that said, I'm still experimenting with my own cacti with seeing how much they can take, but I've allowed all of my cacti to dry up for a brief spell as my losses were getting too high for even my own comfort after growing my cacti through the winter months this year. My experiments/cacti this year were all pushed to grow in water at temps in the upper 30's... just a wee bit over freezing with just light dips into freezing for very short periods of time. Many came out with light freeze damage after that and I lost many more. I feel like what I have left is fairly hardy after all of that, but I still have to cull some that are looking sickly.

• Like 1

Mine had their first winter in the ground and exposed to mediterranean climate.

Wet winters here, 120-150 liter rain/month. Like 5-8 days rain and then sunny.

Temps down to minus 6 celsius maximum. Longest period of frost, 48 hours, with snow.

Older plants suffered, depending on location and also sp..

Got some plants from greenhouses, not really hardgrown. They suffered the most. Plants I hardend up the winters before, did better. Frosthardy plants, which were grown in a greenhouse can get damaged very fast, they need acclimatisation.

What i learned is, just let them be as they are after thoroughly preparing the soil, with raised beds and drainage. 25 percent frostdamage here, but this will grow out. Next winter I will see, how they deal with it.

The younger plants I grew from seeds, most seedlings from zelly got no damage and started new growth vibrant in april. They were very hard grown from seed to prepare them for the heat and cold/wet winter conditions in spain. Maybe they learned that way like kids.

Old proverb comes in my mind. Never relocate an old tree.

IMG_20180514_110829.jpg

FB_IMG_1525550484170.jpg

FB_IMG_1525426996444.jpg

FB_IMG_1526014021662.jpg

FB_IMG_1526014031284.jpg

IMG_20180514_110829.thumb.jpg.af91d865da7f52e31ddfe54818400c22.jpg

FB_IMG_1525550484170.thumb.jpg.2101e09d70dcfdfafb2a424569dcb99f.jpg

FB_IMG_1525426996444.thumb.jpg.bdffb2285b08a85b2cbd5d298e032426.jpg

FB_IMG_1526014021662.thumb.jpg.3715806e13ebe56e962a21d2fd02c81a.jpg

FB_IMG_1526014031284.thumb.jpg.d30f6c3b5b39b37693be8487f9f92aa0.jpg

IMG_20180514_110829.thumb.jpg.af91d865da7f52e31ddfe54818400c22.jpg

FB_IMG_1525550484170.thumb.jpg.2101e09d70dcfdfafb2a424569dcb99f.jpg