The Corroboree
Hendry

Psilocybin Stage 4 Cancer

Great friend of mine has inoperable stage 4 colon cancer that has spread to the liver, kidney and lungs ( she didn't even smoke cigarettes).

I am looking for advice or ideas to help lessen the anxiety one has when facing a grim diagnosis.

I have read great things about psilocybin being used to treat the anxiety of those living with terminal cancer. Does anyone have experience with this and or other psychedelics drugs being used in serious illness.

She is on Rick Simpson oil already. Just looking for any ideas 

Thanks in Advance

John

I don't know much about it but I have read Australia is unfortunately rather resistant thus far to conducting much in the way of this kind of research.  It challenges the political, legal, medical, psychotherapeutic and psychopharmalogic status quo and the literature I have read notes that universities are reluctant to take up research where there is controversy from the powers that be.

How mobile is she?  What is the timeframe of her process?  My first thought is that if she can afford and cope with travel then she could go to an ayahuasca retreat centre in peru, or perhaps there is are other clinics in other progressive countries.  Hopefully someone points you to something local.

Also it may be a long shot hoping for a reply but you could email Stephen Bright, co author of this review http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0004867416670520
Perhaps ask him if he knows of any current research she could apply to as a participant.  He is co founder of PRISM and as they dont take emails o this sort of thing you could maybe get around it by emailing him: [email protected]

If she is interested in exploring faith based advice ajahn brahm has good talks on how to handle death and cancer from a buddhist approach.  Otherwise getting in touch with a faith she resonates with may help quite alot.

Is she seeing a psychologist?  This is also advisable.

Also just being there as a friend is a powerful supportive process, if your resilience is adequate.  Listening to her experience of where she is at will help and you may notice avenues that she would receive support from that she hasn't considered.

Sending good thoughts for you both.

Edited by Mapacho
email
  • Like 7

54 minutes ago, Mapacho said:

I don't know much about it..

As someone who is based in a psychopharmacology lab who has colleagues that work with Stephen Bright I have to say you summed up the situation perfectly dude.  Great post!

And @Hendry sad to say as far as Australia @Mapacho is spot on.  If I remember correctly, UCLA are doing the psychedelic studies in regard to mortality in cancer patients.  Maybe check that out. If you find any papers you can't get access to then your welcome to pm me and I'll see if I can help.

• Like 4

Thanks! I'm glad to hear some affirmation.  I don't really talk to anyone in the field yet but one day I hope to work in it on the psychotherapeutic end.   

• Like 2

You may have seen this already, but I caught a showing of this doco a while back (I don't think it's available for free yet) & found it interesting, specifically in how they were bridging the social stigma of psychoactive drugs to introduce them to non-trippers & still create a positive experience.

A New Understanding: The Science of Psilocybin

• Like 2

Thank you all for the input. She is in the United States being treated at the University of Pennsylvania. While ideally she could find time to enrol in a University sponsored Psilocybin study or be able to travel to a shaman in the amazon and partake in an ayhuasca ceremony I wouldn't dare to put a timeframe on her "process" but she has lost a significant amount of weight recently and have heard that this can be an indication that "most of the nourishment she is taking now will be captured by the cancer which will continue to grow at the expense of her normal body tissues"this may signal the end. I hope this is not the case regardless I would move mountains to help her and don't give a fuck about bending the law to lessen the pain for my dying friend.since I grew up in the states I have enlisted the help of my friends there to investigate both freshly grown and dried mushrooms. In the event she is unable to keep food down is it possible to make an extract without extensive chemical know how. I have heard of people making a tea as well. She is doing well up and about but the weight loss is scaring the shit out of me. I talk to her on the phone a lot as I realize that when someone has a terminal illness  people may find it difficult to ring them up and talk to them. Thank you all for the feedback I really appreciate it.

John

• Like 4

I think maybe the most valuable asset she has is having a friend like you in all honesty mate.  Good on ya, I hope if I was in a situation like that I would behave half as well as you are.

All the best to your friend and yourself...I hope she finds relief in some form.

Edited by Cubism
Spelling
  • Like 2

Tea is probably the most gentle and I've heard it hits really, really fast if its strong.  i've also heard its really as simple as making tea.

i know a good guy in the US who holds ceremonies I could contact but thats for aya.

• Like 2

Tea or simple citric acid soak.

Look up the lemon tek.

Best wishes.

• Like 3

On 4/11/2018 at 1:31 PM, Mapacho said:

i know a good guy in the US who holds ceremonies I could contact but thats for aya.

Thank you for offering I would take you up on the recommendation but unfortunately she has to be very careful about MAO inhibitors and anything that might disrupt her system to much. The tea sounds great thank you for the suggestions.

• Like 1

If you folks were in a similar situation would one or teo Cubensis spore strains be worth recommending. So far B+ and Golden teacher have been mentioned is there much variation or would you recommend going with any Cubensis in particular if acess to any strain is not a problem. Fo some look better under the microscope. Thank you

multi-thoughts...

Edited by Northerner
  • Like 1