The Corroboree
greenechidna

Diatomaceous earth

High all.
Sowing my first cactus seeds today, was wondering if others mix diatomaceous earth with their potting mix as pest prevention and thinking would it be to sharp and damage the juvenile cactus.

I am a total newbie to this cactus thing,  4 weeks a go a friend asked if I could help shamanicly with a problem, told her cant do anything til shroom season in June then she told me she has a cactus I can use, since then been researching and the bug has bit, been sold a ceres as a san pedro and know have 5pkts of seeds to sow

theres a group on facebook called Trichocereus from seed support group (or something like that) ....

• Like 1

You shouldn't need any pest prevention for cacti seedlings, the recommended method is to place the pot inside a ziploc bag and keep them in there for at least 6 months. A takeaway food container can be used too. No need to open the bag as the humidity is kept in so no watering is needed, this also means no way for bugs to get in. I do not think diatomaceous earth would scorch seedlings though.

Thanks for that mean green, its my first lot of cactus seeds and am a bit nervous. Tomorrow when my missus is here going to set up a couple take away containers with 20 seeds in each one with diatomaceous earth and take some pics of the process just in case something goes wrong might be interesting and people might be able tell me if I am doing some thing wrong. Pests are a problem were I live so usually safe guard its easier than getting rid of them later.

9 hours ago, greenechidna said:

This is not the place for newbies or to ask questions is that what your telling me?

Nah he's giving you a hand, its a really good resource for growing from seed.  All sorts of teks and methods for pest control, plus the folk there are a great help to diagnose with any issues.

Thanks for clearing that up, don't really trust facebook but will still give it a look.