The Corroboree
Matt1208

Is this rue ?

Question

Noticed this about two meters away from where I tried to grow some Syrian rue, looks the same but would just like to make sure

i could only get my rue to a few inches tall before they died, compaired to those this plant is a monster 

IMG_2582.JPG

IMG_2583.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

IMG_2582.thumb.JPG.f11f5087ba0af418961a14e0bad07697.JPG

IMG_2583.thumb.JPG.2afd911450b11cd27d88ffa0e4884a8c.JPG

IMG_2584.thumb.JPG.bee02a133c8096b4b9917c60e95e81b7.JPG

IMG_2585.thumb.JPG.1b76e2ddaff14b06471779f858fb9f17.JPG

IMG_2582.thumb.JPG.f11f5087ba0af418961a14e0bad07697.JPG

IMG_2583.thumb.JPG.2afd911450b11cd27d88ffa0e4884a8c.JPG

IMG_2584.thumb.JPG.bee02a133c8096b4b9917c60e95e81b7.JPG

IMG_2585.thumb.JPG.1b76e2ddaff14b06471779f858fb9f17.JPG

10 answers to this question

I recon it does too, only comparing to photos though, not from experience

A possible lookalike would be Artemisia abrotanum or other related Artemisia species. If you take a leaf on it and rub it between your hands, does it have a strong aromatic smell? 

Are the leaves on this plant thick and succulent looking?

• Like 2

I'd say they're more succulent rather than a leaf, smells terrible when I rub it, I did have rue growing in a pot awhile ago, they only got to a few inches, I'm thinking maybe something carried a few seeds around the place 

• Like 1

If it smells awful when you rub the leaves, it's more than likely an Artemisia like wormwood imo.

• Like 1

wonder how that would've gotten there, what does rue smell like ?

Artemisia grows wild in a lot of places including Australia, much more widespread genus than Peganum. Artemisia seeds are extremely tiny and dust-like, it spreads easily through wind, sticking to dirt on shoes or animals etc... It's considered invasive in many places.

Also the fact is smells strong is almost a dead giveaway, I don't think rue produces a particular fragrance, can't say for sure though.

Also seems to me from pics online that peganum branches out early and grows bushy rather than upright, and stays pretty short. Wikipedia says it is usually 30cm tall. Artemisia on the other hand can grow pretty big pretty quick.

Edited by MeanGreen

Mine smells pretty bad, I guess it's a preference thing. But different species of Artemisia have widely different smells, A. abrotanum smells like coca cola for example.

And I'm definitely not saying it's A. absinthium which is noticeably glaucous, but some other species.

Look at this pic of peganum by K. Trout, the leaves look way smaller than in Matt's pics: 

peganum_harmala_leaf.jpg

Not ruling out it can be P. harmala but artemisia just seems much more likely to me, Occam's razor type of thing. Please post some closeups of the stems and nodes if possible

Edited by MeanGreen
  • Like 1

Ah ok, was gonna say your nose is broken but i didn't realize different species are called wormwood :P

Artemisia has a more ragged leaf pattern though, the strong forking in this one can be recognized as peganum. Combined with the color gradient from the center of the plant to the outer leaves it's unmistakable

Edited by DualWieldRake
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreen said:

If it smells awful when you rub the leaves, it's more than likely an Artemisia like wormwood imo.

My wormwood smells greatly pleasant

I'm convinced these are Peganum

Edited by DualWieldRake