The Corroboree
Dicko

Sick green catha

So my catha has been going downhill slowly. The new growth is yellowing and looking a little stunted and some of the leaves are slightly curled. Its been suggested that its iron deficiency, ive given it a couple of feeds or seasol and thrive but it hasnt responded really.

Its getting enough sun too. 

Any help appreciated 

20180324_191324.jpg

20180324_191334.jpg

20180324_191324.thumb.jpg.5c597f9aebcc73753bbb23027536e605.jpg

20180324_191334.thumb.jpg.65370bbdfaa59413a106bce376b7e953.jpg

20180324_191324.thumb.jpg.5c597f9aebcc73753bbb23027536e605.jpg

20180324_191334.thumb.jpg.65370bbdfaa59413a106bce376b7e953.jpg

If you web search "simple plant deficiency guide" it'll show you a handy chart to identify classic symptoms of deficiencies. Often there are multiple issues or trace elements lacking. 

Depending on your location,  Australian soils are often deficient in most things plants need. Potting mixes also,  especially the cheaper ones. 

You can buy iron chelates to correct an iron deficiency, or a complete trace element blend,  to correct multiple problems. 

That said,  also check your soil pH levels,  as nutrient availability varies drastically with soil acidity changes. Optimal for most plants is 6.5 - 7.

Hope that helps

• Like 3

Thanks a heap :) will check it out

This might not be relevant in your case, but Catha here is horribly prone to borer.

Symptoms here look almost bacterial- leaf splotch and wilt, tends to start closer to the bore hole site wherever that is, and work it's way up to the tips

Cut the branch below the wound site as soon as you see it and throw the branch well away from the parent plant- it spreads fast, especially on fresh growth and can invade entire old branches

Usually not fatal but can set growth back a season or two if it's bad

• Like 1

Id just taken some cuts of the healthier tips in case things dont get better. I didnt see any signs of borers or pests. 

Yellowing between the veins like that is usually iron or manganese. To high a PH can lock up iron. EDDHA iron works over a broad range. Another cause of both the chlorosis and the curling, is the dirt being too wet (root rot).

Its in perlite and general potting soil, the drainage is pretty good and it doesnt get too much water anyways really.

Ill test ph and go from there :)

Cheers 

hmmm, you have done something wrong, for sure because, the pic shows that suddenly, all the new (growing) tips are effected.

my hunch is as well wrong ph ( I mean the base acid scale, not the fabulous member ph).

I further add, that reading your post, one can tell that you obsess too much about your plant, and theer is a high chance you caused those symptoms by trying this and that, far too often. leave that plant alone and if you can plant it into the ground. the natural soil will, help the plant get over that issue.

first I thought it might be the red narrow leaved qat, created by planthelper, which often displays curls, but without loss of virgor....

Its on the mend now, turns out id did have mites and my eyes are just bad lol. Hit it with a lil pest oil and is greening back up and the new growth isnt as retarded. 

Hopefully things keep getting better.  

• Like 1

there is no need, to use anything with a Catha, you again obsessed using oil.

if this plant gets mites, which is very rarely the case and if, only in the very young stages, it's because you did something wrong, believe me. anyway good luck with your plant, and I stay away from your thread. the oil doesn't fix the problem, just fixes the symptoms mostly for a short time only.

• Like 1

Mmhmmm thanks for your input :) I havn't obsessed over anything thanks quite the opposite actually, I just tried to provide as much info as I could. What ever I've done was over a good period of time and only according to sypmtoms presented and on the advice of people who have a good knowledge on the matter. Its a few years old and it did have mites, you could see the oil that settled on the little threads they left all over the plant.  

But as I said, it's bouncing back now and hopefully things stay that way. 

Cheers :)

Unfortunately im mot able to put it in the ground where I am at the moment either as im in a rental. The best I could do would be a larger pot which it probably needs and probably contributed to its health problems. 

And ive moved it into a different area away from some other neglected plants that are on the way out, strawberries, raspberries, cherry tomatoes etc. 

Edited by Dicko
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, withdrawl clinic said:

there is no need, to use anything with a Catha, you again obsessed using oil.

if this plant gets mites, which is very rarely the case and if, only in the very young stages, it's because you did something wrong, believe me. anyway good luck with your plant, and I stay away from your thread. the oil doesn't fix the problem, just fixes the symptoms mostly for a short time only.

Anyone that ignores mites is in for a real fun time.

Sure, they get a toehold due to something being out of balance in your garden, but once they are there, if you don't take decisive action, you're gonna lose plants.

I had spider mites for the first time this summer among my lophs. I didn't act quickly enough and guess what? I lost a bunch of rare plants. 

Telling Dicko it's his fault and in the same breath also saying he's obsessing is not helpful and is a bit of a dick move. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Glaukus said:

Anyone that ignores mites is in for a real fun time.

Sure, they get a toehold due to something being out of balance in your garden, but once they are there, if you don't take decisive action, you're gonna lose plants.

I had spider mites for the first time this summer among my lophs. I didn't act quickly enough and guess what? I lost a bunch of rare plants. 

Telling Dicko it's his fault and in the same breath also saying he's obsessing is not helpful and is a bit of a dick move. 

I have never seen any mite damage on my trees. I live in the sub tropics were mites are fearless.  I am with PH on the white oil thingy. :wink: He knows a lot about khat growing and breeding.   You are right though about keeping mites in check , They can go wild and cause a world of pain.       

Edited by smithy

3 hours ago, smithy said:

I have never seen any mite damage on my trees. I live in the sub tropics were mites are fearless.  I am with PH on the white oil thingy. :wink: He knows a lot about khat growing and breeding.   You are right though about keeping mites in check , They can go wild and cause a world of pain.       

That's the problem with mites, the plant they arrive on isn't where they stay. I worked out that someone gave me a chili plant with mites, nek minit my lophs, arios, stenocactus etc and some other plants were all infested. I lost a lot of rare location cultivars.

Is WC actually PH?

16 hours ago, Glaukus said:

That's the problem with mites, the plant they arrive on isn't where they stay. I worked out that someone gave me a chili plant with mites, nek minit my lophs, arios, stenocactus etc and some other plants were all infested. I lost a lot of rare location cultivars.

Is WC actually PH?

yes I am ph. (q, can we still change member names?)

I agree partly, with the opinon, of you who favored white oil, and it certainly can save you the bacon at times, I use very rarely. I am far too lazy to use white oil, add iron, check ph and so on, I guess that could make you a better grower, than the lazy approach. glaukus your chilly plant story, is a very good one, and nothing beats the anger, when you know you got the pest from somebody else. my mom always sprayed plants before giving them away as present....

my 2 cents are, if the soil and environment are ideal, pests will be minimized.

I have seen mites flourishing, under dry weather, and problematic soil, and than just disappearing once the issues were rectified. and lets not forget the lady bugs, I was doubt full when I started learning about plants, regarding ther abileties, but a single lady bug can save a small plant!! :) 

late edit: dicko even with renting, I would recommend planting her out.

it will avoid most of the issues, we discuss in this thread, and grow rate will increase.

than you can take cuttings, for trade and to have a few plants again in pots.

against planting out is the size they might reach after only a short time (detection and legal status)

Edited by withdrawl clinic
  • Like 2