The Corroboree
aguacolla

Sowing trich seeds in Autumn

Hello everybody,

I'm absolutely hooked on planting trich seeds, and am getting ready to sow my next round of seeds. However, winter's only a couple of months away - is it a bad time to sow?

I'm in Sydney, and I'll have them in closed 1L takeaway containers next to a brick wall outside getting some morning sun.

Would they just stop growing over winter, or is there a chance that seedlings so young wouldn't survive? Or might they even put on some growth?

Cheers

Edited by aguacolla
  • Like 1

I grow seedlings year round in a bog type setting. In the winter if you allow your seedlings to get close to freezing you will experience some die off, purple coloring to your seedlings due to cold and full sun, and some will also likely make it. I've never not had some seeds make it regardless of the Trichocereus species/hybrid I'm working with. Growth of those that do grow are considerably slowed however... again due to the cold.

If you get freezing temperatures for too long you may indeed loose all your seedlings.

Edited by Inyan
  • Like 2

Everytime is a great time to sow

A lot of trichs optimally germinate between around 15 and 25 C

I had my seedlings on a windowsill the whole winter in cold dark northern europe, apart from beeing a bit etiolated/stretched they are all fine healthy.

And ready to pick up speed with warmer weather ahead

I've read somewhere you'd need a week of consecutive temps below 15, maybe 10 C before they'd go dormant (untill you warm them up again i assume)

Edited by DualWieldRake
  • Like 3

Well, if you guys can manage in northern europe and zone 8 USA, then it looks like I'll be fine here in warm sunny Sydney :)

Thanks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aguacolla said:

warm sunny Sydney :)

Next joke :P Ive not once been to Sydney and it's been a warm or even sunny day haha always pissing down 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt1208 said:

Next joke :P Ive not once been to Sydney and it's been a warm or even sunny day haha always pissing down 

38 degrees in sydney at the moment! i miss the pissing down

1 hour ago, TheMooseZeus said:

38 degrees in sydney at the moment! i miss the pissing down

Yeah, it's bloody hot today!

Just went to check on a couple of my chacrunas outside, and they're completely floppy from the heat. Hopefully they don't lose any leaves

Edited by aguacolla
  • Like 1

I can imagine the humidity would be insane then, typically get dry heat here with fuck all wind about 

43 minutes ago, aguacolla said:

Yeah, it's bloody hot today!

Just went to check on a couple of my chacrunas outside, and they're completely floppy from the heat. Hopefully they don't lose any leaves

Ah, that sucks...Hopefully my viridis seeds like the heat and decide to sprout hahaha

Hey, It's a great time of the year to sow trichocereus seed. It's a great time to sow many types of seed.  I live near byron bay. 

• Like 1