The Corroboree
Brian

Out of body experiences & spirituality

Hello to all,

Just new here so greetings to everyone.  

I have just moved to Alice and I'm hoping to stay for a few years working in birthing and Aboriginal health.  I have a big interest in consciousness states particularly, unusual ones which may include out of body experiences.  I  read some posts that were written a few years ago about psychoactive plants that may have been used in normal day life or in ceremonies that perhaps could lead to altered awareness.  I know this probably sounds like a weird interest but I just trying to build a bit of understanding that might help me to do some research or write a paper that could help me with my studies.

I was recently at King's Canyon and the guide said that there was a bush, called Heath Bush (I think) that when dried, was put in the embers of fires.   The smoke that then arose was inhaled and could lead to altered states of awareness.   

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks a lot.

Brian.

• Like 2

I've been doing some research concerning altered states in traditional contexts for a couple of years now. It can be a very hard topic to get people to open up about, especially if you are planning to make the knowledge you find accessible to the public.

In Alice Springs you might have some luck learning about uses of Duboisia, Nicotiana and Goodenia species. Discussion about pituri seems to be pretty open in contrast to some other plant preparations, and I have heard of people learning information about pituri in the Alice area.

Edited by Wile E. Peyote
  • Like 2

welcome to the forum, brian! :)

I never had a out of body experience, whilst using plants, it is though often reported with ptsd sufferers.

I remember leaving my body at least once, and it was caused by extreme fear (but not rape).

leaving your body could be confused with, astral projection (travelling with and without the silver cord), this is a shamanic technique which can be learned by meditation. it's a sensation like lucid dreaming, but it's done during the day.

it's a very, very power full experience and sensation.

• Like 2

Hi Withdrawl,

I really liked your post - thank you.  If you could tell me more about the shamanic techniques I'd love to hear about them.   Thanks again though for sharing - I hope all is well in your life.

B

I've heard about heath bush a fair bit. Does anyone know the scientific name?

• Like 1

Haven't heard of this one but certainly sounds interesting, did a quick google and found this on wiki:

Epacris impressa, also known as common heath, is a plant of the heath family, Ericaceae, that is native to southeast Australia (the states of Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and New South Wales).

Epacris impressa Pink Form.jpg

Did you get to see what it looks like @Brian?