The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sagiXsagi

Anyone into fossils?

hey hello, in the last 2 months I have been searching and finding shells of sea moluscs  and also fossilized leaves and branches, coal, a small spider etc.  My finds are local - the deposits are dated from upper pliocane to upper pleistocane.. these are clay deposists. my the whole area was submerged back then...

Anyone into searching or that has found some nice fossil?   any pleiocane-pleistocane finds? 

• Like 6

hey man, where i grew up there is a gully with a really awesome Permian (300-250 million years old) fossil site.  cool thing is, me, my friends & just a few other people are the only ones who know about this specific site..

a few months ago i went back there for the first time in years & collected some cool specimens..  the deposit dates from a era when Australia was part of gondwana & was somewhere down much closer to the south pole..  the fossils are from a shallow sea which had seasonal sea ice.  most of the fossils are of gastropods, brachiopods & bryozoans like fenestella & crinoids but you can also find trilobites & other things.  A couple of pics from my last trip:

IMG_0572.JPG  IMG_0581.JPG  IMG_0586.JPG  IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG  IMG_0625.JPG  IMG_0678.JPG  IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_0617.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

• Like 6

Paradox there are fantastic finds. Permian wow dude! Unfortunately I have to travel a bit to get to areas with older fossils. Amazing creatures, I feel a bit jealous.  

Here are my most recent finds. A whole Ostrea and a couple fossil shells. I will return to show some leaves and wood matter and maybe say a bit more about my area. 

Correction: I said my whole area was submerged (in water) back then, well, not all of it, and definately not the mountains above an elevation. I live by the sea but mountains are pretty close - actually hills start from the shore in many occasions. 

DSCN6305.jpg

DSCN6294.jpg

PS: hey Wile, what are those mate?

DSCN6305.thumb.jpg.a224c6a993ae8d4df379632dc2e88da6.jpg

DSCN6294.thumb.jpg.cbbe97596beb7aede2aecd00d01a6ee6.jpg

DSCN6305.thumb.jpg.a224c6a993ae8d4df379632dc2e88da6.jpg

DSCN6294.thumb.jpg.cbbe97596beb7aede2aecd00d01a6ee6.jpg

Edited by sagiXsagi
  • Like 3

Some very nice finds Sagi n Paradox and Wile.

hunting for fossils is great fun, I found this one at Gantheaume point in Broome quite a few years ago, a mussel shell, I ground a bit of the surface rock off it, this fossil was sitting on the sand at the tide mark.

image.jpeg  image.jpeg

N these I have collected over 20 years

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

This is one is special to me, opalised shell from Coober Pedy, wish I could write that I found it but I didn't, I bought it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

That's a damn fine collection, Thunder, and that opalized mollusc, what a treasure!

You're a complex person Thunder but I'm starting to like your jive... :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze

1 hour ago, Halcyon Daze said:

That's a damn fine collection, Thunder, and that opalized mollusc, what a treasure!

You're a complex person Thunder but I'm starting to like your jive... :)

Dyou mean ThunderIdeal, Halcyon Daze?

Thats not me, I'm Spooge, was Olive and before that Pimento,

ThunderIdeal is too intellectual and stuff to be me, I'm graduated from Tafe, not Uni.

You got a bit of cactus from Micromegas I won in that auction last year or the year before, nice fat Peru it is, only I'd know that shit man cuz Micromegas asked me if I'd mind if you got some as well cuz you were gonna donate some coin also etc..... Only the true blue dinkum Spooge would know that shit, that secret insider cactus going ons n things.

• Like 1

Oh I get it now sorry, I thought you were thunderhorse. Your pic is of thunderhorse right? And that IS actually her right? I've been a bit confused about that.

Hey THANKS for sharing the peru/ roseii cut. It's in one of those pics I just posted of my cactus collection. It's the light blue one in the middle with the two 'horns' LOL it's growing really well in plenty of sun. One of my all time faves. I paid a hefty price for it which went towards server costs. 

Sorry for getting side tracked. You have some mad fossils there spooge. :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

Aha, Thunderhorse...... She's cool, I like her jive, Tis why I have her pic as the avatar atm.

I was feeling raped actually, I logged back in to write I'd rather be Ethereal Drifter cuz he is funny.

I will go check out how your Peru is going now Halcyon,  i got two mids, both have pupped nicely.

soz for mucking the thread Sagi.

• Like 3