The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Black Rainbow

Does this look like oyster myc?

First time trying to clone oyster tissue on agar. Does this look right? About four weeks in and the only dish of ~8 with any growth on it.

I can enlarge the picture so I cant tell bout four weeks I would expect the plate to be well and truly covered

Sorry about that, I'll get a better image.

That was my understanding, too. Is there something that could be inhibiting growth?

I'm wondering if the problem was the environment of the dish, the flesh I cloned or my malt extract and agar medium. Any suggestions for how I might get a better understanding of where I went wrong?

This does not look like pleurotus to me at all, yeasts are more likely. Can you please describe your proccess and the conditions the dish is kept in?

• Like 1

I double boiled a combination of 250ml water, 1½ tsp agar and 1 ½ tsp malt extract in jar with lid slightly ajar until everything dissolved. When the jar was cool I added 2ml of peroxide. Then I poured a few cm of this mixture into each of my plastic containers, before taking small pieces of flesh from inside my pleurotus specimen, placing a piece in each container.

Since then, the containers have sat inside a sterilised glove box in a darkened room at a temperature between ~15 and 22 degrees. The container pictured is the only one with any growth.

Edited by Wile E. Peyote

Remove peroxide from your recipe. If you want to use peroxide, then use it to dip the tissue sample into it for a second before placing it on agar. And try with a different mushroom, maybe the one you used was dead for some reason.

Oysters are usually extremely aggressive, it should grow on pure agar, carboard, pasta...

It's never a good idea to use peroxide IMO, even though it may seem like it would be be. It usually does more damage to mushroom mycelium than it prevents molds from growing.