The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

The Medicine of Parsley - a superior apigenin (and more) source to Chamomile?

Parsley.thumb.jpg.6c9598f9d465240b092ca694618be16d.jpg

Anyone explored themselves high(er) doses of this?

Basil serum levels were dropping so a quick venture to the community garden to get parsley'd for the evening. Brewed up a strong dose to enjoy after a productive day. It's set seed... perfect for high resonance phenylpropanoid essential oil and good doses of flavonoids. I grow a bit at home but there is masses at the community garden.

Initial verdict: been sipping away, seems more sedative than I get with chamomile teas, even lots of tea bags... and taste isn't at all bad. Quite pleasant, I'll likely use this more.

I have to find some references for % flavonoids in different aerial parts, can't spot anything at the moment.

Summarised from: Parsley: a review of ethnopharmacology, phytochemistry and biological activities https://doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(14)60018-2

Parsley's medicine:

- Antioxidant activity
- Antidiabetic activity
- Analgesic and spasmolytic activity
- Immunomodulating activity
- Antimicrobial and cytotoxic activity
- CNS: neuroprotective and sedative

Phenolic compounds and flavonoids particularly apigenin, apiin and 6″-Acetylapiin; essential oil mainly myristicin and apiol; and also coumarins are the active compounds identified in Petroselinum crispum. Wide range of pharmacological activity including antioxidant, hepatoprotective, brain protective, anti-diabetic, analgesic, spasmolytic, immunosuppressant, anti-platelet, gastroprotective, cytoprotective, laxative, estrogenic, diuretic, hypotensive, antibacterial and antifungal activities have been exhibited for this plant in modern medicine.

Petroselinum crispum seeds have been claimed to be antimicrobial, antiseptic, astringent, gastrotonic, antidote, antispasmodic, carminative, digestive and sedative and is used for gastrointestinal disorder, inflammation, halitosis, kidney stone, and amenorrhoea

Flavonoids apigenin, cosmosiin, oxypeucedanin hydrate and apiin were detected from aqueous extract of Petroselinum crispum. 6"-Acetylapiin, a flavone glycoside, and petroside, its monoterpene glucoside, were isolated for the first time from methanol extract of Petroselinum crispum aerial part. It's said to be rich in luteolin. Myristicin, apiol, cnidilin, isoimperatorin, diosmetin, 7-O-β-D-glucopyranoside and kaempferol 3-O-β- D-glucopyranoside were found

Miscellaneous compounds
Carotenoids including β-carotene, lutein, violaxanthin and neoxanthin were detected in Petroselinum crispum leaf and stem. Moreover, ascorbic acid is identified in Petroselinum crispum. So too, coumarins: Oxypeucedanin is the major furocoumarin of Petroselinum crispum and is responsible for contact photodermatitis induced by this plant. Psoralen, isopimpinellin, 8-methoxypsoralen, 5-methoxypsoralen and imperatorin are other furocoumarins isolated from its leaf and root.

Toxicity and tolerability
In ethnomedicine, it has been claimed that parsley is abortificient. Acute toxicity of was evaluated in rat and no toxicological effect was observed.

Edited by Alchemica
  • Like 3

When I was very young, working as a kitchen hand. Every day I had to chop lots of parsley, put it in a tea towel, rise it under the tap, then twist the tea towel and squeeze out the juice. This allowed the parsley to keep better on the bench during service. One of the chefs told me that drinking the juice would get you stoned, so I tried it. It does get you a bit stoned. I started saving up several days worth to try a bigger dose, but the boss told me it ruins your liver so I through it out.

• Like 4