The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yawning Man

Any Chippie's (carpenters) wanting some free labour?

Hello Sabbers

Gee it's been a while. Haven't posted in forever but have been lurking somewhat. I apologise that it's also out of self serving interest that i'm back. 

For the past 5 years i've been working in Community Services, namely with the homeless and i'm starting to feel a bit burnt out. I started a new role last year back in August and since then my interest in this industry has plummeted. 

It's got to the point now where i'm on stress leave (also due to a heap of shit at home) and contemplating a career change. I love the practicality of carpentry and have been researching into the business quite a bit and would like to get  feel for the day to day stuff. Just how physical it is, if i have an aptitude for it, if I come home likely what i have done that day etc.

So,i'm putting some feelers out to see if there are any chippies here (that are near me, bit of a stretch I know) that might want to put me on for a day or two so I can get a sense if it's for me. I want to be sure about this before I commit to an apprenticeship and lower wages for 3-4 years. Alternatively maybe you guys know of someone who might be open to the idea. Or any tradies within other professions that work close to chippies and have some insight on the industry?

Anyway, it's great to see the forums are still being utilised and have a community around them. Sighting lots of old names from when i was much more active which it cool. 

Hope you're all well and the gardens looking sweet!

YM

Hi Yawning Man can't help with the chippie stuff, but I know Community Service burn out, I feel for ya! In such a thankless job it's easy to lose focus of the good you do. Mate turning just 1 persons life around, is achieving something more meaning full than most peoples entire life. I certainly get the attraction of wood, I've been trying to teach my self(badly) after work, very therapeutic.

Heya Crop. 

Yeah, i'm really feeling as though Community Services is not for me. There are definitely days and clients that make it feel as though it's worthwhile, but these are far and few between. I'm calling around to a few local construction companies and carpenters to gauge their openness to having a free labourer. Also looking at doing a white card course to get a leg up. Thanks for the response man. Keep up the amature wood working man!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yawning Man said:

Also looking at doing a white card course to get a leg up.

White card can be done on line, pretty cheep too. Good luck mate. I've been where you are several times. Feel like i'm on the verge now. Usually a few months off, is enough, but not so sure this time.