The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Alchemica

Alstonia 'The Heart of Man' - an innovative direction for antipsychotic compounds

I really cherish my Alstonia. I want to propagate it, it's smallish still but oneday, knowing I can't grow it big.

IMG_20180219_165955.thumb.jpg.dd14df1207eb6353152451c3e375bc30.jpg

It contains alstonine which is a potential innovative antipsychotic, and that a comprehensive understanding of its neurochemical basis may open new avenues to developing newer antipsychotic medications.

It is used traditionally as a plant medicine named ‘uhuma obi-nwok’, in Igbo ‘the heart of man’. The plant is used to treat different types of ‘madness’, epilepsy, and is in general considered to be a sedative. To treat severe ‘madness’ the ground root is boiled in water (a piece of root about 10 cm long and 5 cm in diameter is prepared in 250 ml of water) until the liquid turns into a reddish-brown in color; the initial loading dose for an adult is one cup.

Alstonine not only increases social interaction in normal mice, but also averts social deficits attributable to negative symptoms of schizophrenia. This study reinforces and complements the antipsychotic-like profile of alstonine, and emphasizes its potential as a drug useful for the management of negative symptoms in schizophrenia.

The behavioural profile of alstonine appears to be closer to that of newer rather than older antipsychotics, it nevertheless differs from clozapine in its ability to reverse MK801-induced hyperlocomotion and social deficit, and by lacking epileptogenic properties. An unusual mechanism of action for alstonine is also here suggested by its effects on levels of DA in frontal cortex and striatum. Lack of changes in HVA levels suggests unchanged DA metabolism at the synaptic level, whereas increases in DOPAC levels suggests augmented intraneuronal catabolism. Alstonine induced increases in 5HT levels in frontal cortex, and of 5HIAA in frontal cortex and striatum. The suggestion is that alstonine acts as a inverse agonist at 5-HT2A/Cs

• Like 1

Your posts never cease to amaze> I have a very large Milk Wood in my back yard, whilst I knew of it's use in carving, I knew nothing of it's medicinal value. Let alone it's use to treat severe madness. My only problem now is deciding if I want to be cured. Just in case, how long should you keep up that strong a dose rate?

• Like 2

If you can stay on the edge of sanity, life's much better! Not sure about longer term use, the individual alkaloid alstonine seems to be effective used longer term in animal models, the plant mix I'm not so sure. The leaves have anti-inflammatory  monoterpenoid indole alkaloids, scholarisines [1] , so they're useful, too. if I see anything, I'll let you know @Crop

If you're ever finding excess root material by chance, let me know, like to experience a serve one day, sort out a trade or something.

• Like 1